HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:49 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Mini-Review
New RCTimer motors. HP series. The good and the Bad

Couple weeks ago rctimer was down for a few days and it came back up and had new motors.

I was shopping around for popular 2830-8 1300KV outrunners,
when I came across similar motor, but with a different name. HP2812-1300KV , specs are pretty much identical, but this one is advertised to have higher performance and "sale" price was very tempting. I ordered 4 for an Armatan style quad to use with 8x4 props.
Previously I had turnigy 2826-2200kv motors on it, and it was a bad fit, SF props slowed it down, but I was wasting prescious mAh's..
In case anyone is curious - my quad has 6" arms, AUW is 860g and I use 3s 2200mah 45c lipo and 30a esc

Took it for a flight today , first impression was great. Nice and smooth, plenty of power and speed for 3D flying.
Bearings were indeed smooth compared to previous rctimer models.
Motor mount and prop adapters were made of better materials, and didn't feel like cheese. If you've ever used older rctimer stuff, you know that those mounts are as soft as tin can.
Wires are longer and thinner than your typical brushless outrunner in this class. Also more flexible.
All in all it seemed like a solid product, and for $13 each, I couldn't be happier.

However fun was over when one of the motors came apart after a few flights. Luckily I was ~20-30ft up in the air and was flying on top of grass. It looks like the e-clip either came off, or broke off and released the shaft. I was lucky enough to get away with as little damage as bent arm, which I can fix, but I'll be very carefully with these motors from now on.
However I'd like to believe it's just a single case and wont happen again. I was always very happy with rctimer motors and even after trashing them for a while, they still held together and performed well.

I'll try to find another e-clip and will take it for a flight tomorrow morning, and will report back.

Curious to hear others opinions on these motors, and if anyone else got them. Im thinking about buying some more before flash discount ends.
templton89 is online now Find More Posts by templton89
Last edited by templton89; Dec 03, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:19 PM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
879 Posts
thanks for this, was wondering how good these motors are
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:36 AM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Other than failed clip (which may or may not have been my fault) they run reall smooth. I'm considering getting another set before sale ends.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
here is a quick video I put together using these motors

Destroying Armattan quad + testing new RCTimer HP motors (1 min 48 sec)
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:54 AM
Noob
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Hey Dude thx for the info... was looking for some 4s motors and these look good for the price.

How are the holding up so far?
Torque66 is offline Find More Posts by Torque66
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:37 AM
Woof!
Denmark, Region Zealand, Roskilde
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
RCTimer has a bag of 10 of those clips for around one dollar:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo....x=0&image.y=0
Great_Dane is offline Find More Posts by Great_Dane
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:51 AM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,790 Posts
I love your flying! Great music choice too
ecks is offline Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Jun 2011
365 Posts
the only thing is i do not like is the motor props adapter

this is my quad with HP2212 1000kv

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=14
oyibox is offline Find More Posts by oyibox
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque66 View Post
Hey Dude thx for the info... was looking for some 4s motors and these look good for the price.

How are the holding up so far?
so far alright, even thought one of them is packing some serious dirt at the moment I haven't repaired after last crash in the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Dane View Post
RCTimer has a bag of 10 of those clips for around one dollar:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo....x=0&image.y=0
the thing is that we're not supposed to need those, because it's not just a clip we lose, it's an aircraft that is in potential danger. For me personally it's just a pain in the ass to drill holes in new aluminum tube and screw everything in once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esevilaa View Post
I love your flying! Great music choice too
thanks, but it takes it's toll as you saw from the intro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyibox View Post
the only thing is i do not like is the motor props adapter

this is my quad with HP2212 1000kv

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=14
actually these prop adapters and mounts seem to be sturdier than other rctimer stuff, you can't bend them with your fingers. At least not as easy. And also I got used to them, maybe not the most optimal solution but for sport flying it's enough.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:37 PM
Queens, NY and sometimes Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Are the wires the same thin gauge stuff they used on the purple morors?
98 SNAKE EATER is offline Find More Posts by 98 SNAKE EATER
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:11 PM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
879 Posts
yes it looks a bit thin, but no thinner than turnigy NTM wires.
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
Are the wires the same thin gauge stuff they used on the purple morors?
they are thinner than on purple motors, however they seem to be different material. Purple ones had large lose wire sleeve, and it would always break. Also those wires were a pain in the rear to solder in case you broke it or wanted to extend it.
HP stuff has more flexible thinner wire, with a nicely fitted sleeve whch is made of much better silicone rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad007 View Post
yes it looks a bit thin, but no thinner than turnigy NTM wires.
If I remember correctly NTM wires were fairly thick, short and not flexible at all. Also it might be just my experience, but NTMs felt heavy and too power hungry compared to other motors in same class.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:22 PM
Joined Oct 2013
1 Posts
Today I had a problem with one of the six HP 2826 motors (3548 with blue bell) I purchased from UAVobjects. I found that the small worm screw that holds the bell on the motor shaft was loose allowing the bell to rotate faster than the motor shaft, You can imagine what happened. Good thing I was only 2 feet off the ground when it tipped sideways and fell. 3 minute before that I had it a good 12 feet in the air, and was going to raise up to tree top level, but heard one motors RPM going high than the rest and my hex seemed a little unstable so I kept it low to the ground.

So quality control is an issue with this and maybe other Rctimer motors. I must admit up until then, the motors flew flawlessly and had lots of power. I could hover at 40 to 45% throttle! However if the motor shaft and bell become loosened from one another that is a nasty accident waiting to happen.
brianksh is offline Find More Posts by brianksh