HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:48 PM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
503 Posts
Discussion
Need help setting up 3 blade head

I just received this 3 blade head from RCA (http://www.scaleflying.com/600-Size-...ad_p_2315.html) and it came as a kit, the linkages and swash plate all separate. There were no instructions in the kit and I am still waiting for RCA to reply to my request for instructions. I am assuming their delay is due to the heloday season., but it is still frustrating. I can see and understand how to ssembel the head, but the linkage rod lengths as well as phasing is a complete mystery. Can Anyone assist or point me to something online that can help me? I understand the length of the linkages and what is supposed to be acommplished by their length, but my most important question is phasing. Thanks in advance!
thenodemaster is offline Find More Posts by thenodemaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:54 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,486 Posts
The phasing is pretty easy to set up if you do it mechanically. That method works but it is mechanically not optimal. You can fly it without any problems however, thousands of people do so.

Fit the rotor to the shaft and set up one link from bladegrip to swash.
Now shift the swashdriver, so the ball that is connected to the blade grip is having an angle of exactly 90 degrees to the shaft of that bladegrip.
To make it more clear: if the bladegrip concerned is pointing exactly sideways than the ball on the swash, connected to it should point exactly forward or aft..

Now set up your servo's as you would on a normal flybarred or FBL heli: if you push the stick forward, the swash should tilt forward, and if you push the stick to the left, the swash should tilt to the left.

The alternative way is setting the swashdriver so, that the control rods are as vertical as possible. Now you need to compensate for that in your transmitter with "virtual swash rotation". This is mechanically slightly better, but the difference is only so small, that I do not recommend it unless you know what you are doing (and in that case you wouldn't need to ask here )

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:13 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
503 Posts
OK, I understand what you are saying One question I have is this: does the control linkage lead the blade grp or follow it?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:18 PM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
811 Posts
Peter wales wrote a very good article about setting up multiblade heads

http://scalehelicopters.org/

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:57 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenodemaster View Post
OK, I understand what you are saying One question I have is this: does the control linkage lead the blade grp or follow it?
Actually, theoretically that does not matter, but some heads have a delta-effect, stabilizing the blades, and virtually all delta-heads need a leading blade grip control. So it is safe to use the lead control, not the trailing control: the rotor runs steadier that way.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Brookfield
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
The linkages should alway lead. So the ball joints and linkages should be in front of the blade grips when you turn it in the clockwise direction. If yon have a anticlockwise direction, simply spin the blade grips around.

Make sure you have a full understanding of phasing. Being only a three blade head it can most likely be phased mechanically. Put the blade over the boom. That blade grip linkage should be positioned 90 degrees in front of the blade.

Remember gyroscopic procession. Every input only takes effect 90 degrees after the command.
Hank79 is offline Find More Posts by Hank79
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:49 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
503 Posts
OK, I got it Thank you everyone for the advice! I still have not heard from RCA about anything, but I think that I can move forward with the advice everyone has given me. Much appreciated everyone.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:16 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
503 Posts
Heard back from RCA today regarding the manual. They are in the process of printing as well as converting to pdf and should have it available shortly. I knew their delayed response was due to the holidays, and it is nice to know that I will have access to the manual shortly. Thanks again everyone for the help.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:15 PM
Gerktron Remix
La Crosse, WI
Joined Oct 2005
167 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264476

This may help..
planedude91 is offline Find More Posts by planedude91