SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 08, 2015, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by vafan13
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
Discussion
decent, cheapish charger for micro/mini quads

I'm looking to get something to replace the default/terrible USB charger that comes with WL Toys micros, etc. Basically just need to be able to charge multiple 300mAh 45C turnigy packs, something around 750-950 for the v636 that's on the way, or possibly even ~1300 3S if I ever get a ~250 FPV quad.

I don't want to spend too much given what I'm trying to charge and was looking at the B6AC V2, which I can get off of amazon for $66 shipped or an accucel-6 80w and a cheap power supply from HK. which of these is the better choice, or should I get something else entirely?

thanks in advance!
vafan13 is offline Find More Posts by vafan13
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2015, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
I'm looking to get something to replace the default/terrible USB charger that comes with WL Toys micros, etc. Basically just need to be able to charge multiple 300mAh 45C turnigy packs,

Please, when you mention a battery. list all the specs. What is the cell count of the 300mAh 45C Turnigy pack mentioned above?

something around 750-950 for the v636 that's on the way, or possibly even ~1300 3S if I ever get a ~250 FPV quad.

I don't want to spend too much given what I'm trying to charge and was looking at the B6AC V2, which I can get off of amazon for $66 shipped or an accucel-6 80w and a cheap power supply from HK. which of these is the better choice, or should I get something else entirely?

thanks in advance!
I have not read much good about the B6AC V2. Therefore that being the choice I would go with the Accucell-6.

But if you can go a bit higher in price take a good look at the HobbyKing Reaktor charger. For about what you would have spent on the B6AC you could have 300W.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=56924

But for a power supply I would go with a converted server power supply. That way when you decide you need a bigger charger you will have the power supply part covered.
http://www.lipoconnectionsolutions.c...rgers-1244.htm

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Apr 08, 2015, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by Ferdinando
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Apr 2015
49 Posts
if cells are 1s, you can use SKYRC Quattro Micro Battery Charger
it don't need external pws.
Ferdinando is offline Find More Posts by Ferdinando
Old Apr 08, 2015, 02:21 PM
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
But for a power supply I would go with a converted server power supply. That way when you decide you need a bigger charger you will have the power supply part covered.
http://www.lipoconnectionsolutions.c...rgers-1244.htm

Glen

Hmm, I'm assuming there's no reason I can't use a regular computer PSU. I have a number of older 400+ watt quality PSUs lying around from old builds. At least I think they are still in the basement.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 02:41 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Hmm, I'm assuming there's no reason I can't use a regular computer PSU. I have a number of older 400+ watt quality PSUs lying around from old builds. At least I think they are still in the basement.
No reason at all as long as you are up to doing the small amount of conversion work.

Glen
Old Apr 08, 2015, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by SilverSport
25th year Newbie
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Dec 2014
331 Posts
HiTec X1 AC .... fits your price range, 50W and people love them. You will just need some charge leads or parallel boards.

I personally would never get something as low as 80W that you also need a DC supply for.
SilverSport is online now Find More Posts by SilverSport
Old Apr 08, 2015, 11:02 PM
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
thanks for all the suggestions!

Is this a proper charge harness for doing multiples of the 1c nanotechs and would it work with the suggestions above (accucel, reaktor, X1 AC)?

http://www.overskyrc.com/6s-charging...ies-p-302.html
Old Apr 08, 2015, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by SilverSport
25th year Newbie
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Dec 2014
331 Posts
I wouldn't use that, it looks like it charges from the balance port. Shouldn't be a bad thing if the charger will charge with nothing on the main output. I can't say the X1 will do that. I use a 1s balance board that plugs into the main outputs with a black and a red 4mm banana plug. I charge my eFlite 150mAh packs, I don't know about the connector needed for your battery.
SilverSport is online now Find More Posts by SilverSport
Old Apr 09, 2015, 04:47 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,927 Posts
I think you want something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-Paral.../dp/B005I5GLQ4

Glen
Old Apr 09, 2015, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by Snardo
United States, MD, St Mary's
Joined Apr 2013
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
I wouldn't use that, it looks like it charges from the balance port. Shouldn't be a bad thing if the charger will charge with nothing on the main output. I can't say the X1 will do that. I use a 1s balance board that plugs into the main outputs with a black and a red 4mm banana plug. I charge my eFlite 150mAh packs, I don't know about the connector needed for your battery.
Actually, it looks like it uses a JST connector with the balance port. I guess it spoofs the charger into thinking it's charging a 6S battery.

If you're on a budget, I could recommend the Thunder Charger AC680. It's not real fancy but gets the job done. I'm pretty budget minded and I've been using this charger for all my battery charging for a couple years now. It charges 6 1S e-flite style batteries without any trouble. It would just be a matter of finding the right charge harness for the battery type you are using.
Snardo is offline Find More Posts by Snardo