New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by redtail
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Discussion
Rc lander hawker hunter what size 6s battery ?

I'm putting together a handlaunch Hawker Hunter with a lander 2200 KV 10 blade metal motor, 100 amp ESC. What size 6S battery is best, instruction says 2500 or shall I use 3300 size battery ?
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by union1
United Kingdom, England, Sudbury
Joined Oct 2004
278 Posts
Hi redtail

I have exactly that set up in mine and use turnigy 3000 40C packs.
Fabulous power available and sounds amazing!
Enjoy ;-)
union1 is offline Find More Posts by union1
Old Jan 30, 2015, 02:41 PM
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1 View Post
Hi redtail

I have exactly that set up in mine and use turnigy 3000 40C packs.
Fabulous power available and sounds amazing!
Enjoy ;-)
Excellent !
Thanks mate, I had a Hunter about 3 years ago on 4S so looking forward to the extra power and the sound ! Here's a few photo's of my old Hunter. I have the Rainbow scheme now, Oh yes, on my elevator I used two servos instead of the control rods. Just one question, did you have to add weight to the nose to get the correct C of G ?
Last edited by redtail; Jan 30, 2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 03:11 PM
Joined Oct 2004
278 Posts
Mines the rainbow one too!
You'll have endless vertical on 6s which is fantastic fun and the low, high speed passes are mind blowing!
Had you considered using a lightweight bungee for launching?
Much safer, esp single handed with the heavier battery.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 03:52 PM
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1 View Post
Mines the rainbow one too!
You'll have endless vertical on 6s which is fantastic fun and the low, high speed passes are mind blowing!
Had you considered using a lightweight bungee for launching?
Much safer, esp single handed with the heavier battery.
I found the 4S version easy to launch, think on 6S should be easier. I do have a bungee which I fly my VC10 on - that does need the bungee to get on the step ! Thanks for the information ,really looking forward to flying her !
Old Jan 30, 2015, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by ex-racr
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,590 Posts
The exit diameter for the Hunter is 57mm, which may choke things down a bit. Not sure about blade stall, but you'll still have about 1300+ watts. Thrust drops off dramatically on exit diameters less than 59mm for the multi-blade fans. Were it mine, I'd worry about getting it up to speed from a hand launch.
Never the less 4000mah packs should be used, and good luck with things!

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Jan 31, 2015, 04:36 AM
Joined Oct 2004
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-racr View Post
The exit diameter for the Hunter is 57mm, which may choke things down a bit. Not sure about blade stall, but you'll still have about 1300+ watts. Thrust drops off dramatically on exit diameters less than 59mm for the multi-blade fans. Were it mine, I'd worry about getting it up to speed from a hand launch.
Never the less 4000mah packs should be used, and good luck with things!

Terry
I don't know about the exit diameter Terry, but mine goes like stink as supplied!
A 4000 mAh battery is going to add another 100g or more just where you don,t need it (even assuming you can squeeze it in) and make hand launching decidedly tricky.

Just my thoughts...
Old Jan 31, 2015, 05:24 AM
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Thanks for the comments, it's all food for thought. In the kit it has a spare belly intake with holes in it, just forward of the fan unit, I have replaced it with the perforated one to get more air Into the fan. I will smooth out the the exhaust section and vanish it to get that extra thrust. Also , I have taken the retracts out which reduces the AUW considerably . Since I had the 4s version which was easy to launch, don't think this will be a problem . As with most EDF 's just let the speed build up on launch, once on the step she's away ! Oh yes, have ordered a couple of Turnigy 3300 6 s 40 - 70 c burst lipo's . I found on my 4s I had to add quite a bit of lead to make her balance on the required C of G - hate adding extra weight !
Last edited by redtail; Jan 31, 2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,247 Posts
That VC10 looks great!
Well done.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Jan 31, 2015, 09:40 AM
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
That VC10 looks great!
Well done.
Thanks 4stripes, afraid I can't take the credit for building her, she was designed and built by the legendary Chris Gold, I bought it off him - love the VC10 ! Just been in my workshop expoxying bits of the Hunter together. I finished a Durafly Sea Vixen last week,, just waiting for the weather to calm down to maiden her.
Old Feb 07, 2015, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by pavlis
Joined Feb 2013
1,970 Posts
So someone has used the 3000 turnigy 6s with success. I will be using the 3300mah turnigy compacr. Only weights a gram more
pavlis is online now Find More Posts by pavlis
Old Feb 09, 2015, 02:50 PM
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlis View Post
So someone has used the 3000 turnigy 6s with success. I will be using the 3300mah turnigy compacr. Only weights a gram more
Hi pavlis , I am using Turnigy 3300 6S like you ! As mentioned mine is a handlaunch, I'm using the drop tanks as landing skids, I've fibre glassed the tanks and the pylons,also put carbon rods in the pylons. With the above lipo, I think I will still have to put 50 grams of lead in the nose to get the correct C of G of 165 cm pic of the work so far. Let me know how you get on ?
Old Feb 09, 2015, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by pavlis
Joined Feb 2013
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail View Post
Hi pavlis , I am using Turnigy 3300 6S like you ! As mentioned mine is a handlaunch, I'm using the drop tanks as landing skids, I've fibre glassed the tanks and the pylons,also put carbon rods in the pylons. With the above lipo, I think I will still have to put 50 grams of lead in the nose to get the correct C of G of 165 cm pic of the work so far. Let me know how you get on ?
50 grams in the nose is good news for me.. since I only have access to paved runway so retracts is the way to go..I'm still waiting for my stuff to arrive. international warehouse of HK tke forever.
Eu warehouse is lightning fast.
I had a tracking number for the batteries 5 hours after I placed the order.
pavlis is online now Find More Posts by pavlis