New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:50 AM
redtail is offline
Find More Posts by redtail
Registered User
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Discussion
Rc lander hawker hunter what size 6s battery ?

I'm putting together a handlaunch Hawker Hunter with a lander 2200 KV 10 blade metal motor, 100 amp ESC. What size 6S battery is best, instruction says 2500 or shall I use 3300 size battery ?
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:27 PM
union1 is offline
Find More Posts by union1
Registered User
union1's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Sudbury
Joined Oct 2004
278 Posts
Hi redtail

I have exactly that set up in mine and use turnigy 3000 40C packs.
Fabulous power available and sounds amazing!
Enjoy ;-)
union1 is offline Find More Posts by union1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2015, 02:41 PM
redtail is offline
Find More Posts by redtail
Registered User
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1 View Post
Hi redtail

I have exactly that set up in mine and use turnigy 3000 40C packs.
Fabulous power available and sounds amazing!
Enjoy ;-)
Excellent !
Thanks mate, I had a Hunter about 3 years ago on 4S so looking forward to the extra power and the sound ! Here's a few photo's of my old Hunter. I have the Rainbow scheme now, Oh yes, on my elevator I used two servos instead of the control rods. Just one question, did you have to add weight to the nose to get the correct C of G ?
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
Last edited by redtail; Jan 30, 2015 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2015, 03:11 PM
union1 is offline
Find More Posts by union1
Registered User
union1's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Sudbury
Joined Oct 2004
278 Posts
Mines the rainbow one too!
You'll have endless vertical on 6s which is fantastic fun and the low, high speed passes are mind blowing!
Had you considered using a lightweight bungee for launching?
Much safer, esp single handed with the heavier battery.
union1 is offline Find More Posts by union1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2015, 03:52 PM
redtail is offline
Find More Posts by redtail
Registered User
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1 View Post
Mines the rainbow one too!
You'll have endless vertical on 6s which is fantastic fun and the low, high speed passes are mind blowing!
Had you considered using a lightweight bungee for launching?
Much safer, esp single handed with the heavier battery.
I found the 4S version easy to launch, think on 6S should be easier. I do have a bungee which I fly my VC10 on - that does need the bungee to get on the step ! Thanks for the information ,really looking forward to flying her !
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2015, 06:11 PM
ex-racr is offline
Find More Posts by ex-racr
AKA Terry Till
ex-racr's Avatar
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,590 Posts
The exit diameter for the Hunter is 57mm, which may choke things down a bit. Not sure about blade stall, but you'll still have about 1300+ watts. Thrust drops off dramatically on exit diameters less than 59mm for the multi-blade fans. Were it mine, I'd worry about getting it up to speed from a hand launch.
Never the less 4000mah packs should be used, and good luck with things!

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2015, 04:36 AM
union1 is offline
Find More Posts by union1
Registered User
union1's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Sudbury
Joined Oct 2004
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-racr View Post
The exit diameter for the Hunter is 57mm, which may choke things down a bit. Not sure about blade stall, but you'll still have about 1300+ watts. Thrust drops off dramatically on exit diameters less than 59mm for the multi-blade fans. Were it mine, I'd worry about getting it up to speed from a hand launch.
Never the less 4000mah packs should be used, and good luck with things!

Terry
I don't know about the exit diameter Terry, but mine goes like stink as supplied!
A 4000 mAh battery is going to add another 100g or more just where you don,t need it (even assuming you can squeeze it in) and make hand launching decidedly tricky.

Just my thoughts...
union1 is offline Find More Posts by union1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2015, 05:24 AM
redtail is offline
Find More Posts by redtail
Registered User
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Thanks for the comments, it's all food for thought. In the kit it has a spare belly intake with holes in it, just forward of the fan unit, I have replaced it with the perforated one to get more air Into the fan. I will smooth out the the exhaust section and vanish it to get that extra thrust. Also , I have taken the retracts out which reduces the AUW considerably . Since I had the 4s version which was easy to launch, don't think this will be a problem . As with most EDF 's just let the speed build up on launch, once on the step she's away ! Oh yes, have ordered a couple of Turnigy 3300 6 s 40 - 70 c burst lipo's . I found on my 4s I had to add quite a bit of lead to make her balance on the required C of G - hate adding extra weight !
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
Last edited by redtail; Jan 31, 2015 at 05:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2015, 07:04 AM
4stripes is online now
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Registered User
4stripes's Avatar
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,247 Posts
That VC10 looks great!
Well done.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2015, 09:40 AM
redtail is offline
Find More Posts by redtail
Registered User
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
That VC10 looks great!
Well done.
Thanks 4stripes, afraid I can't take the credit for building her, she was designed and built by the legendary Chris Gold, I bought it off him - love the VC10 ! Just been in my workshop expoxying bits of the Hunter together. I finished a Durafly Sea Vixen last week,, just waiting for the weather to calm down to maiden her.
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2015, 10:05 AM
pavlis is online now
Find More Posts by pavlis
Registered User
Joined Feb 2013
1,970 Posts
So someone has used the 3000 turnigy 6s with success. I will be using the 3300mah turnigy compacr. Only weights a gram more
pavlis is online now Find More Posts by pavlis
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2015, 02:50 PM
redtail is offline
Find More Posts by redtail
Registered User
Joined Dec 2005
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlis View Post
So someone has used the 3000 turnigy 6s with success. I will be using the 3300mah turnigy compacr. Only weights a gram more
Hi pavlis , I am using Turnigy 3300 6S like you ! As mentioned mine is a handlaunch, I'm using the drop tanks as landing skids, I've fibre glassed the tanks and the pylons,also put carbon rods in the pylons. With the above lipo, I think I will still have to put 50 grams of lead in the nose to get the correct C of G of 165 cm pic of the work so far. Let me know how you get on ?
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2015, 04:31 PM
pavlis is online now
Find More Posts by pavlis
Registered User
Joined Feb 2013
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail View Post
Hi pavlis , I am using Turnigy 3300 6S like you ! As mentioned mine is a handlaunch, I'm using the drop tanks as landing skids, I've fibre glassed the tanks and the pylons,also put carbon rods in the pylons. With the above lipo, I think I will still have to put 50 grams of lead in the nose to get the correct C of G of 165 cm pic of the work so far. Let me know how you get on ?
50 grams in the nose is good news for me.. since I only have access to paved runway so retracts is the way to go..I'm still waiting for my stuff to arrive. international warehouse of HK tke forever.
Eu warehouse is lightning fast.
I had a tracking number for the batteries 5 hours after I placed the order.
pavlis is online now Find More Posts by pavlis
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold RC Lander Hawker Hunter 70mm Antaeus Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 8 Mar 01, 2014 01:30 AM
Sold Rc lander Hawker Hunter maccdaddy Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Oct 27, 2013 12:18 PM
For Sale RC Lander Hawker Hunter maccdaddy Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 Oct 08, 2013 02:31 PM
Yippee! RC Lander MIG-17 and Hawker Hunter on the way! Drew816 Foamy EDFs 638 Apr 16, 2010 10:29 AM