New Products Flash Sale

Wing Helper 1.0: 3D CAD Program for RC Airplanes

Here is a new cad program that allows you to visually see your changes.

Splash

Wing Helper 1.0 is here!

From Aleksandar Pozgaj:

Last night, after 2 years of development, and a 3 months beta test phase with 18 participants from all over the world, Wing Helper 1.0 saw the light of day.

Wing Helper is a state of the art parametric 3D CAD program for design of RC airplanes. In the version 1.0, Wing Helper focuses on the definition of the main wing. In future releases, we will be adding support for empennage, fuselage, electronics, and so on.

Traditional parametric CAD programs force the user to enter huge amounts of data without much (if any) visual control. On the other hand, CAD programs such as AutoCAD or Blender are based on a pure graphical manipulation of data. This approach allows a huge degree of freedom (you can draw anything, from the screw to the space ship), but it also imposes a very steep learning curve on the user.

Wing Helper allows you to define your construction by specifying the numerical data (parametric approach), while at the same time representing the effects of your changes visually in a "live view" window. Wing Helper is not a general purpose CAD program, it concentrates on a single task, and makes this task as simple as possible. By following this philosophy, Wing Helper combines the best of both parametric and visual worlds.

Wing Helper is distributed as a shareware, on a "try-before-you-buy" principle. You can download it from our web page, install it on your computer (Windows, Mac or Linux), and evaluate it for one whole week without any functional restrictions.

Learn More

We invite you to visit our web site for a detailed description, including a feature list, user manual, training videos and a forum. We are looking forward to hearing from you!

Old Oct 05, 2015, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by sir_clive
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
725 Posts
Hello,

Thanks a lot Jim for posting this article!

Kind regards,

Aleksandar Pozgaj
Wing Helper e.U.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Last edited by sir_clive; Oct 05, 2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2015, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by Mr.Runster
It's Cody Reed!
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Jan 2015
294 Posts
Link does not work. Go to Winghelper.com

Nevermind, fixed
Mr.Runster is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Runster
Old Oct 05, 2015, 01:43 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
725 Posts
False virus warning

Hello,

I was just informed, that on one computer, WingHelper was recognized as a malware. I'll sort it out with the virus scanner vendor (Norton), but if you get the same problem, please contact me with the version of the virus scanner you are using and the error message.

I just scanned the setup file online (some 50 scanners) and the result was clean. (See attached PDF)

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,

Aleksandar Pozgaj
Wing Helper e.U.
Old Oct 06, 2015, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by Eddie P
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
8,560 Posts
I will download this and buy it if I like it. I love the concept in theory and I love that you have Mac OS support to run it. Awesome!

OK, downloaded and looks like I need one upgrade of Mac OS to OS10.8. Not a big deal, been meaning to do that. Will take me a little while to get started on Wing Helper but looking fwd to it!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
Old Oct 06, 2015, 10:54 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
725 Posts
Hello Eddie,

I'm sure you'll like it! ;-)

But even if you don't, please contact me via mail or in our Wing Helper forum, and tell me what more you would you need or expect from Wing Helper in order to fulfill your requirements. The development roadmap will strongly depend on user demands.

Best regards,

Aleksandar Pozgaj
Wing Helper e.U.
Old Oct 06, 2015, 10:57 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
725 Posts
Hello,

In the mean time, I received a mail from Norton saying that Wing Helper will be whitelisted within the next 24 hours. With the next update of signatures, the issue should be resolved.

Best regards,

Aleksandar Pozgaj
Wing Helper e.U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
Hello,

I was just informed, that on one computer, WingHelper was recognized as a malware. I'll sort it out with the virus scanner vendor (Norton), but if you get the same problem, please contact me with the version of the virus scanner you are using and the error message.

I just scanned the setup file online (some 50 scanners) and the result was clean. (See attached PDF)

Best regards,

Aleksandar Pozgaj
Wing Helper e.U.
Last edited by sir_clive; Oct 06, 2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2015, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by noishi
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,900 Posts
Great tool, looking forward to following and using this. thanks for sharing!
noishi is offline Find More Posts by noishi
Old Oct 06, 2015, 11:29 AM
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
8,111 Posts
Pretty cool! After seeing the first training video it looks like even an idiot like me might be able to use it and I know nothing about CAD. I have a couple of planes that I just don't like the wing build process on and they sit unfinished until I come up with something different. This program may be what I need to design my own wings. One question though. Will the future extensions (fuselage etc) be extra cost or will they be included as updates? Also is there a timeline for those new extensions?

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Oct 06, 2015, 12:01 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
725 Posts
Hello,

thank you for the positive reactions!

Actually, I started implementing Wing Helper so that another "CAD newbie" can design and build own wings - me! ;-)

The exact timeline respectively roadmap is not yet available, it will strongly depend on user feedback and user wishes. A temporary roadmap, resulting from the feedback received during the beta test phase, can be found on http://www.winghelper.com/default/in...ure-extensions.

Fuselage will be a very complex addition which I don't expect to be available within the 1.x version line.

All updates within one version line (e.g. all versions startig with "1") are included in the price of the license.

The next version line (2.x) will require own licenses. The pricing model is not yet decided, but there will be an "upgrade" option for the customers of the 1.x versions.

Best regards,

Aleksandar Pozgaj
Wing Helper e.U.
Old Oct 06, 2015, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by kristjane
Have a nice day! Kristjan
Slovenia, Novo mesto, Šentjernej
Joined Jan 2006
938 Posts
Hello!
Looking nice!
I like OS X version, since I use iMAC. I have Compufoil 3D for more than 6 years now, and I'm very happy with it, even it has few limitations.
I just tested Wing Helper and I'm missing under summary view of ribs, spars, LE, TE,...
Geodetic ribs would be nice feature, also custom layouts (I like to design elliptical wings,...)
Best regards,
Kristjan
kristjane is offline Find More Posts by kristjane
Old Oct 06, 2015, 02:45 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
725 Posts
Hello,

Complete 2d view of all ribs, le, te, and so on is available in the PDF export. The most useful part of the "overview" window is probably the area with the calculated data on the right side. That will become more important once the empennage and the fuselage are implemented.

Regarding elliptical wings, this seems to be a very frequently asked for feature. Candidate for moving up on the priority ladder.

Best regards,

Aleksandar Pozgaj
Wing Helper e.U.
Old Oct 06, 2015, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by kristjane
Have a nice day! Kristjan
Slovenia, Novo mesto, Šentjernej
Joined Jan 2006
938 Posts
Hello!
Yes, but it helps during designing of plane.
In compufoil there is AC marked on wing layout, under drawing is also all data, like wing area, wing volume, number of ribs,...

I hope those print screens help you.
kristjane is offline Find More Posts by kristjane
Old Oct 06, 2015, 03:52 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
725 Posts
Looks nice, but no live view, right?

Jokes aside, it's a great program. One day WH will have the same amount of functionality (and more) AND it will still be easy to use. That is my mission.

Best regards,

Aleksandar Pozgaj
Wing Helper e.U.
Last edited by sir_clive; Oct 06, 2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2015, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
34,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
Hello,

Best regards,

Aleksandar Pozgaj
Wing Helper e.U.
McAfee says it's bad too, during the download. After it's on my machine, I did another scan (before running) and it said it's clean. Odd.

I'm running version 3.14.0

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor