Old Aug 10, 2015, 06:50 AM
Find More Posts by Hueyman86
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
Discussion
ZIPPY Compact 8S 5800 mAh - Balance Plugs

Hi everyone,

Purchased two of these a while ago and only started to use them lately.

I use an iCharger DUO308 and can't figure out how to connect those two 4S balance ports... my iCharger is comes with, as on the picture, 8S balance port of 8pins, while the two 4S split plugs makes a total of 10 pins...

Don't know what to do, I'm a noob in the electric area, I tried to connect each of 4S plugs to the dedicated 4S port on each balance port but got a short circ'...

Any ideas ? Any modifications, wire to remove, other plugs or wire references ?

My plane is stuck on the ground due to this, so I would be very pleased to have your help.

Thank you !
Hueyman86 is offline Find More Posts by Hueyman86
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2015, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
8,174 Posts
Deleted
Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Aug 10, 2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
1,571 Posts
First off your 7s balance port should have 8 pins and 8 s will have 9. I see in your pics they do. Just like every other Lipo balance port a 2s has 3 pins a 3 s has 4 pins. As for your question on how to plug this up. I can tell ya one thing don't plug the thing in to anything until you know darn well your plugging in right. The short you created already destroyed something surely. Well most likely. I would take the back of your balance boards off and see if you did any damage. I know every single short I've had happen with a Lipo has burned out something. Being your new to this you should go to your local shop and talk to the best electric guy the have in there. Just because even if someone chimes in with the correct answer for you and you misunderstand them your gonna end up destroying something.
Jaketheone46 is online now Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Old Aug 10, 2015, 07:46 AM
Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
1,571 Posts
Plus for someone to tell you how to plug in your pack there going to need to know if the pack is a 8s pack in series or a 8s pack that's setup as 2 4s packs in parallel ??? Or what.
Jaketheone46 is online now Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Old Aug 10, 2015, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by Dave H.
Joined Feb 2008
3,173 Posts
Perhaps get some 9 pin JST-XH connectors and move the wires over? Looks like you'll need to test to see which are the higher wires. It's quite possible that the shorted battery has some leads that are no longer attached, so you'll want to use the good battery to determine this.

As you've found, once you get over 6S, things get even less standardized than they are in other parts of the hobby.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by Hueyman86
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
Thanks for your answer guys !

I think I'll do like this dude : make one 8S standard balance plug, that will fit in my balance port, just have to rip the CORRECT wire, and find the plastic plug in a shop nearby.

I'll try not to blow my city up ;-)
Hueyman86 is offline Find More Posts by Hueyman86
Old Aug 13, 2015, 01:59 AM
Find More Posts by jagged
Joined Aug 2015
1 Posts
I think you have to load your Lipo in sequence.
Charge the first balance port and after that the second.

The black wire of one plug should habe the same voltage as the red one from the other plug. And the other way you should measure 8S.
jagged is offline Find More Posts by jagged
Last edited by jagged; Aug 13, 2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 05:39 AM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
8,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueyman86 View Post
Thanks for your answer guys !

I think I'll do like this dude : make one 8S standard balance plug, that will fit in my balance port, just have to rip the CORRECT wire, and find the plastic plug in a shop nearby.

I'll try not to blow my city up ;-)
You can get the correct shell from Digikey. Search for JST-XH-9
http://www.digikey.com/?&WT.srch=1

If you cannot get a 9 pin shell this board will allow you to charge the battery.
http://www.progressiverc.com/jst-xh-balance-board.html
Be sure to specify the correct cable (the one for the iCharger 208B).

To use the board you connect your battery to the two 4S ports.

WARNING: Be sure to connect each of the balance leads to the correct 4S port. You can verify that they are connected correctly by measuring the voltage at the output cable PRIOR to connecting the cable to your charger.

If you don't want to use that board you could get this cable. Remove the wires from it and insert the pins on your battery into the shell.
http://www.progressiverc.com/8s-jst-xh-pigtail.html

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1