Old Mar 31, 2007, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by paul sant
SGT. Sant TNARNG
n-e tennessee
Joined Jan 2006
42 Posts
Help!
blade cp down

i was flying my bcp the other day and heard a loud pop. then the heli then went into an uncontrolable spin. thought i had lost my tail rotor motor, but now everything but the main motor works. changed out main motors but no joy. is my 4in1 trashed again? thanks Sgt.Sant TNARNG anyone???
paul sant is offline Find More Posts by paul sant
Last edited by paul sant; Mar 31, 2007 at 05:51 PM. Reason: no help
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2007, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by jtspin
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
Does your 4-in-1 smell burnt? You probably blew a MOSFET. You can try plugging your main motor into the tail motor slot to check it out. You can replace the MOSFET in the 4-in-1 if you're good with a soldering iron. I don't have a BCP, so I don't know the part number, but I'm sure others can help.

-JT
jtspin is offline Find More Posts by jtspin
Old Apr 01, 2007, 12:17 AM
SGT. Sant TNARNG
n-e tennessee
Joined Jan 2006
42 Posts
i have another 4-in-1 that flashes red gn red gn, won't arm, can i cannablize it ? whats the MOSFET? i guess i need to put a fuse in? i use two 3cell 1320mAh li-poy's in it.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 12:20 AM
SGT. Sant TNARNG
n-e tennessee
Joined Jan 2006
42 Posts
i have another 4-in-1 that flashes red gn red gn, won't arm, can i cannablize it ? whats the MOSFET? i guess i need to put a fuse in? i use two 3cell 1320mAh li-poy's in it. first 4-in-1 lasted over a year, only a month on this one.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by stirlingnut
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
Hey paul,try a new crystal in your 4n1 that flashes red/green. I had one go bad this evening in between flights! Kinda weird,and acted just as you describe.

'nut
stirlingnut is offline Find More Posts by stirlingnut
Old Apr 01, 2007, 12:48 AM
SGT. Sant TNARNG
n-e tennessee
Joined Jan 2006
42 Posts
i was gonna try that and hobby town usa sold me ch59 that they said would work but i don't think will work with the bcp cause it's not listed under replacement parts. only 17,19,21,50,52+54 i guess are the only ones that will work?? hobby town also sold me a motor awhile back they said would work with my piccolo, it burned up my piccoboard.
Last edited by paul sant; Apr 01, 2007 at 02:45 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 12:53 AM
Find More Posts by Gino CP
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
You must use an 8T pinion motor with your 11.1v 1320mah lipo. Or else you'll keep toasting your 4-in-1. Don't repair your 4-in-1. It doesn't always work or last long.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Apr 01, 2007, 01:27 AM
SGT. Sant TNARNG
n-e tennessee
Joined Jan 2006
42 Posts
thanks Gino , gotta get a 8t pinion ! gotta go brushless too !
Last edited by paul sant; Apr 01, 2007 at 02:40 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by dbercot
Is it windy outside?
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined Sep 2006
115 Posts
I've repaired a few 4 & 1's, it's hit or miss. If the circuit board isn't too toasted you can get a MOSFET soldered on with little effort. Many times the board is so bad there's no saving it. Either way, it's a bit of work to fix and will keep you on the ground until you get parts. Maybe it's time to look into seperates.

As for the pinion, it should be OK to run 9T pinions, according to the manual, but definitely NOT 10T pinions. Am I wrong Gino??
dbercot is offline Find More Posts by dbercot
Old Apr 01, 2007, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by Gino CP
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
9T is on the borderline. It depends on how cold your climate is and how good the components are on the 4-in-1. The manual does acknowledge that battery runtime is less with a 9T. I'll side with caution on this one.

As for the 4-in-1 , I've repaired a few. After the repair, they work. Heli hovers. Then after some time, it fails again. Second repair, no dice. Motor won't spin. That is why I stopped replacing fets and diodes. I am not qualified to check the rest of the components.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Apr 01, 2007, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by BowerR64
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Caps usualy pop, and sometimes batterys will pop and vent.

If the heli is drawing to many amps to fast the battery can overheat, gas builds up inside and they they vent wich can sometimes pop. They work kinda like a thermastat on a car.
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64
Old Apr 01, 2007, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by dcg9381
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Feb 2007
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul sant
i was flying my bcp the other day and heard a loud pop. then the heli then went into an uncontrolable spin. thought i had lost my tail rotor motor, but now everything but the main motor works. changed out main motors but no joy. is my 4in1 trashed again? thanks Sgt.Sant TNARNG anyone???
I had exactly the same thing happen.. Heli immediately wouldn't take any control input and was spinning like a top from about 13' up.

I was running a stock motor, 10t, flatblades, with a heatsink. I had a 9A fuse in-line to the motor.. Obviously I was overloading something. I might get ambitious and do some load testing.

I'm planning on running the AEK kit now, but with flat blades - that's a 9T motor with the 11.1V lipo.. Sounds like this is still borderline.
Options are soldering a resistor inline to drop the current draw or buying another $10 motor.... I'd like to keep it in the air the 4-in-1's aren't cheap.
I haven't tried replacing 4-in-1 components yet..
dcg9381 is offline Find More Posts by dcg9381
Old Apr 10, 2007, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by tor_kamata
Crashin 1 plane at a time
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
73 Posts
I have the same story not more than an hour ago. I was up about 20 feet it shot up about another 10 on it's own and stalled out, and now the main motor will not spin. I thought it was the brushes but the motor tested out fine. Came in the house and started checking the forums.
tor_kamata is offline Find More Posts by tor_kamata
Old Apr 10, 2007, 08:19 PM
SGT. Sant TNARNG
n-e tennessee
Joined Jan 2006
42 Posts
back airborne

bought another 4 in 1 , 3rd one now, $70 bucks at hobby town usa. new motor with 8t pinion. hope this one last . whats a good computerized transmitter for helicopters ? how $$ ? i want to go brushless and get my piccolo/huey back in the air. i have a bunch of old cd-rom motors , are they worth the trouble? i'm back airborne in my bcp/hughes 300 so i'm happy for now.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by Sgt.Sant
Joined Jun 2015
25 Posts
thats me

that's me
Sgt.Sant is offline Find More Posts by Sgt.Sant