Find More Posts by coulee
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
543 Posts
Build Log
MAIDEN CRASH! - 2015 Guillows Fairchild 24 Build / RC Conversion

Hey all, welcome to my build log.

I have built a few kits in the past, but all were larger, fuelies and covered with iron on.

This will be my first small plane, first tissue job and first electrocuted...
I am all ears. If you see a "moron moment" (prone to them), feel free to point it out.

The subject is the laser cut Guillows Fairchild 24 and the plan is to 'lectrify and fly.

I am using Titebond II to glue her up. I figure it will slow me down and make me think things through before I do them.

No better way to start a new year, almost.

Thanks for looking.
coulee is offline Find More Posts by coulee
Last edited by coulee; Apr 05, 2015 at 08:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by AntiArf
Joined Feb 2013
1,066 Posts
Nice Guillows choice. I built one of these with the AR6000BL, micro linear servos and 10gm outrunner. Not my favorite servos, but they are light. The double spar wing braces are a plus, as they both set and hold dihedral/washout settings. I found rudder mixing to help with this model, as the ailerons alone are not the most effective. It also seems to like a reasonable right thrust angle even with a small 4.5" prop, as well as some down thrust.
AntiArf is offline Find More Posts by AntiArf
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:04 AM
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
543 Posts
AntiArf (love that handle), that is a beautiful example of the Fairchild and I only hope I can come close to that finish.

I plan on:

Turnigy 4.4g servos, Full House.
E-Flite 180
E-Flite 10A ESC

What is the covering on yours? It looks great.

Ted
Last edited by coulee; Apr 06, 2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:08 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1,066 Posts
Thanks, it's painted white Coverite Microlite covering.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 06:12 PM
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
543 Posts
Progress Report 1

Today, I finished up the fuselage halves, per plan more or less...

The less part, I left out red numbers 16 and 17 shown on the plan. These are supports for rubber power and are unnecessary when using 'lectric.

I want to talk about red numbers 24, 25 and 26. C'MON GUILLOWS, REALLY!
You are supposed to install the above mentioned sticks on the inside of the fuse halves in a fairly specific location, yet Guillows gives us no reference point on the inside of the balsa. The kit is already laser cut so hell, laser cut a slot and a tabbed piece to fit. On the other hand, the balsa is already marked, why not mark a couple of reference lines?

My solution was to transfer the lines from the plan to the fuse but the causes inaccuracy... Try to be right.

Something I have done on other planes is to match sand any parts that are halves, in this case the fuse halves. I paid critical attention to lining up the slots on the wing roots, clamping and the sanding everything to match. Note, it was close already.

If you build this kit, be aware that Guillows plan lines must be drawn with a sharpy and don't expect them to line up exactly with the wood.

Onward.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 06:51 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1,066 Posts
One of the issues with numerous laser cut kits is that they simply traced the old hand drawings. I've proven that to my satisfaction with the Guillows FW190. What I don't understand is why they didn't check the parts against a few simple CAD drawn profile views of the model. That would correct most of the fit/size problems, without requiring the effort of generating a full blown CAD design. As you were saying, they missed a few simple opportunities to enhance and clean up the newer LC kits. Probably the biggest grey area on this kit is that there could be a note that says: Install rear top fuse cap formers on the top of the upper rear fuse stringers. Looking closely at the plan you can see this, but a builder could easily think that they are to assemble between the stringers.

There's enough unused wood on the parts sheets for them to easily provide aileron headers/end cap formers and also ink the notch marks on the wing formers that a builder could hand cut, for an aileron option on these LC kits. That's a wish list item, but it would be nice.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 07:09 PM
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf View Post
...and also ink the notch marks on the wing formers that a builder could hand cut, for an aileron option on these LC kits
Be still my heart... a little ink would sure make some things so much more accurate,

Ted
Old Dec 30, 2014, 07:24 PM
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
543 Posts
Progress Report 2

Todays efforts were used getting the fuselage halves joined together. I left the front portion done until the motor arrives.

I did not assemble as per the Guillows instructions. As you can see in the second picture, I glued the line up former in with both sides laying square and then bent the fuse into the final shape.

All in all, the fuselage came out pretty OK. I am even less than impressed with the kit and agree with AntiArf, this kit is just a trace and burn... No CAD work was done to insure fit and finish.

Ted
Old Dec 30, 2014, 09:30 PM
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
543 Posts
Minor Changes

The attached image shows a few structural changes, made by KONRAD, that I am incorporating into the build.

Basically, this beefs up the fuse prior to bending the nose, adds window supports and fixes a poor Guillows design of B14.

Ted
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:18 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1,066 Posts
Yeah it really needs that mod. I added an additional an stringer near the one that runs across the instrument panel also. For r/c it definitely needs a hair of reinforcement. Adding a stringer or piece of sheet stock along the stringer that the wing strut attaches to on the lower fuse is a good idea also. If I remember correctly I attached mine with pins glued into the ends, making the struts strong functional parts.
Old Jan 01, 2015, 10:41 AM
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
543 Posts
Progress Report 3

Yesterdays work was limited as there was a little celebrating to do...

I did not follow KONRADs changes, rather, I made my own. It was a weight thing.
I replaced braces 7 and 8 with 1/8 by 1/16 inch balsa instead of the plan 1/16 inch square stock. I also moved 8 down from the green line to the center of the longeron at the bottom of the side window area, red line.7 will need minor sanding to reach the leading edge profile.

Additionally, I glued in parts A6 which make up the back windows in the cockpit.

NOTE TO ANY FUTURE BUILDER - GLUE A6 to its plan location behind and below A3 before doing any other construction! If you build the fuse to the plan lines, it will not fit correctly when assembled later...

Ted
Old Jan 01, 2015, 09:25 PM
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
543 Posts
Happy New Year & Progress Report 4

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ALL!

The efforts for today were spent finishing the fuselage as far as I could while waiting on parts in the mail.

All the top stringers are in, as well as the single side stringer.

I bent the nose section around and installed formers B1 through B6. WOW, is that bend in the nose severe or what... Yes, I broke the starboard fuselage side at B5.

The landing gear is part way installed. I need to wrap a little thread to be done here.

I guess its off to build the tail while I wait...

Ted
Old Jan 01, 2015, 10:32 PM
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
543 Posts
1946 fairchild 24-r

Here is a photo of the real Fairchild 24R that I am attempting to copy...

See her here,,,

She sure is a beauty.

Ted
Old Jan 02, 2015, 01:29 PM
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
543 Posts
Progress Report 5 - Rudder

Its kind of a lazy day around here today, so not doing much.

I did build up the rudder, see pic.

I glued up the perimeter of the rudder as shown on the plan except I did not glue C5 to the spar #1. When the glue dried, I cut C1 at the leading edge of the spar to create the rudder. Next, glue a similar spar between C1 and C5 as shown, to create a vertical stab.

I filled in the bottom of the rudder with scrap sheet balsa to form a strong point to attach a micro control horn.

NOTE - I used the wider spar material for all internal parts, including the spars. Total weight for both pieces, 1 lowly little gram.

Ted
Old Jan 02, 2015, 05:01 PM
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
543 Posts
Progress Report 5A

LOL So, I wasn't going to work on this anymore today... then the mail showed up with my itty bitty 4.4g Turnigy servos. I just had to make a tray...

The tray is 1/16 in sheet balsa with a couple of 1/4 in wide by 1/16 in thick runners glued to it.

The servo tray mounts in the cockpit at the base of the side windows. You can kinda make it out in the "on the scale" picture.

Speaking of the scale, WOOHOO! 67 grams less the motor, esc, wing and covering. Note, the battery shown is my heaviest 2S lipo at about 30g. I should meet my target of right around 100 - 110 grams.

Ted