New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by Michael V
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
934 Posts
Discussion
Decals on Foamies

Is there a thread regarding methods to make decals for foamies?

If not please share your method here. I'm a new builders and am wondering what the different methods are.
So far I use two types of covering 5mil laminating film, or plain WBPU.
I plan to use acrylic paint to do the colors.

So I can think of a few methods for decals:
- For black, I can use my laser printer
- For color I'd use an inkjet.

I'm wondering what kind of transparent support is used (has to resist temperature for film covering).
I'm also wondering if the heat will not spread the toner form the laser printing, or if the WBPU will not make the inkjet ink blot.
Michael V is offline Find More Posts by Michael V
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:39 AM
Find More Posts by Wilfor
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
5,134 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217546
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:28 AM
Find More Posts by SGTalon
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,247 Posts
Hey Mike,

What i am doing for my Space Planes is tissue paper. You have to use a printer that has ink that doesn't run too easily. I am using an Epson Workforce printer that does 13" wide and the ink is pretty water resistant.

I put tissue paper on a glossy carrier sheet with some photo mounting spray then print the graphics on the paper and cut it out. Then i put a light coat of 3m Spray adhesive on my foam, let it set for 15 minutes then smooth the tissue paper on. After it is dry, i seal the whole thing with Clear Acrylic Spray.

If the foam is not white, you will probably need to put white paint on first. I used to need that before i switched to Model Plane Foam.

Check out my planes i have done with this method. They turn out seriously beautiful. A friend of mine does amazing graphics work and it makes a huge difference over regular painting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=78981
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by maurice076
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
654 Posts
Sg and Wilfor THANK YOU.I was wondering how to do this too.
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Apr 2012
934 Posts
Yes Thanks!

So with this method, in case of text you have to cut each individual letter, or does the background disappear (tissue paper without ink)?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by Wilfor
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
5,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V View Post
Yes Thanks!

So with this method, in case of text you have to cut each individual letter, or does the background disappear (tissue paper without ink)?

As easy as that is to answer it would take away from the Amazing Step by step Tutorial FreddieB did in the link i provided . read it as i may miss something in explaining it .
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by djacob7
Zen in the art of foam
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
2,379 Posts
Michael V: Looks like FreddieB has his lettering on a decal that's not transparent. It would be nice if there was a way to get the lettering background transparent.
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by SGTalon
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,247 Posts
The tissue paper is transparent when it is sealed with the clear spray. So all you need to do is make it fit.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by Freddie B
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
6,002 Posts
I agree. If you use the white domestic gift wrap tissue, it will be transparent when you final seal it to the model. If you use any sheen from gloss down to matte, same thing happens as long as the decal and airframe are treated with the same sealer. All the decals in my thread, lettering or graphics are the same tissue and application methods and most often you can not even detect a seam or edge once applied. Closest thing to paint I have tried.

I mostly use Polycrylic by Minwax. I have used Gloss, semi-gloss, and Satin with good results. It can be brushed or airbrushed, and is crystal clear (non-yellowing). If you see a seam at the decal edge, you probably have enlarged a photo or magnified the decal and even the best waterslide types are the same.

Good luck and give tissue decals a try. I use them 90% of the time now. And thanks Wilfor for always pointing out my threads to help people out, because I'd probably miss most of these questions with my busy schedule! Got my back, and someday you will be rewarded.... MiG 3 maybe!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Oct 09, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:58 PM
Zen in the art of foam
Joined Jan 2009
2,379 Posts
Freddie, is the lettering on the Sopwith tail surrounded by transparent tissue, or is the whole fin covered with an opaque decal?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
934 Posts
Thanks to all for this information.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:24 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacob7 View Post
Freddie, is the lettering on the Sopwith tail surrounded by transparent tissue, or is the whole fin covered with an opaque decal?
That Sir, is a decal cut very close to the lettering, in a sort of trapizoid shape. The fin is larger than the lettering area for sure. This is how I aligned the decal for mounting. The entire airframe was finished with Semi-gloss Polycrylic and looks as good today as it did 2-3 years ago when I made it. Dust cleans off nicely too if it collects, LOL. The fun part was finding all the fonts to type up the replicated words in a graphics program called Printmaster. I never found a perfect one to just copy and paste.

Fred
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:15 AM
Zen in the art of foam
Joined Jan 2009
2,379 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Freddie. So the areas close to the lettering are opaque or transparent?
Sorry for being to pesky but I want to understand better.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacob7 View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Freddie. So the areas close to the lettering are opaque or transparent?
Sorry for being to pesky but I want to understand better.
No problem, I was not answering your question correctly.

The decal is opaque when you make it (white tissue, once treated with clear spray it gets opaque). Then when you glue it on, and seal with top coat it becomes transparent. If that makes sense. Guess it is sort of like a wet T shirt contest. White shirt becomes see through when wet! LOL. Sorry for that analogy but it made sense to me!

Click on the link Wifor posted, go to thread tools, click on 'show all attachments', and surf the photos. You will see my decals, the plain tissue, tissue treated, plus then the decals before and after mounting. Transformation at it's best.

Fred
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:02 PM
Zen in the art of foam
Joined Jan 2009
2,379 Posts
Thanks Freddie! There's nothing like just getting out there and doing it and that's just what I'll be doing next few days.