SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2014, 03:28 PM
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined May 2013
90 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Diablo 90mm EDF Jet

Ok guys, HK just posted this and I think it would make for a pretty sweet flyer at a great price. I'd like to get some feedback on a nice setup for this before I buy.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Name: 52177(1).jpg
Views: 183
Size: 91.0 KB
Description: Name: 52177-1.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 134.2 KB
Description: Name: 52177-3.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 134.2 KB
Description: Name: 52177-5.jpg
Views: 133
Size: 151.1 KB
Description: Name: 52177-8.jpg
Views: 109
Size: 117.1 KB
Description: Name: 52177-9.jpg
Views: 153
Size: 104.0 KB
Description: Name: 52177-10.jpg
Views: 109
Size: 64.5 KB
Description: Name: 52177-11.jpg
Views: 141
Size: 65.6 KB
Description:

Like to go fast? If you do and you like flying in style, check out the Diablo 90mm EDF sport jet. Designed to accept 90mm fan units, the Diablo can accept a wide variety of battery combinations allowing it to take off with authority and keep on going.

The Diablo EDF is a molded composite airframe with built up wooden wings which leaves a slick finish for those high speed runs straight down the runway, while a highly visible trim scheme keeps you oriented when you sky her out. Large flaps slow the Diablo EDF down for smooth landings. Other notable features of this model include a large removable battery hatch, a ventral access hatch for the fan, and a two piece plug-in wing. Arriving as a almost ready to fly model, you can configure the Diablo EDF any way you choose. HobbyKing offers a wide variety of power options in the 90mm EDF class, and the Diablo can accept most of these.

As a first time high performance EDF model, the Diablo is plenty fast, though has a larger wing than many of the real "heavies" making it a more user friendly model. This also has the advantage of being able to operate out of shorter runways. For those that want to go even faster, a high speed wing will be available soon!

With final assembly and equipment installation all that is required, a few evenings of work are all that is needed to finish your Diablo EDF. In no time flat you'll be out turning and burning those high speed passes down the runway, buzzing the tower, and having a blast with your Diablo EDF

Features:
• Almost Ready To Fly - Complete final assembly, install electronics and motor, fly!
• Molded composite fuselage comes pre-painted in a high gloss finish
• 2-piece plug-in wings
• Retract ready
• Accepts a wide variety of 90mm class fan units
• Large canopy hatch for accessing batteries and other electronics
• Built up balsa and plywood wings/tail keep strength high and weight low

Specs:
Wingspan: 1250mm
Length: 1365mm
Wing Area: 33dm2
Weight: 2500g (w/o battery)

Required:
6CH transmitter and receiver
8x17g metal gear servos
90mm EDF Unit
80~120A ESC to suit battery/fan selection
6~10S LiPoly Battery
YFZ450MANNY is offline Find More Posts by YFZ450MANNY
Last edited by YFZ450MANNY; Aug 12, 2014 at 03:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 03:48 PM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,160 Posts
I emailed them a couple of weeks ago asking about a release date....they didn't even know what I was talking about. Well I guess I got the release date after all!!

If I was going to rig this jet it would be with 8s Jetfan running a HET 700-68-1400kv motor. Eflite retracts (or similar) with digital servos. It looks like it has a pretty good sized wing I just don't know what the battery compartment will handle.

I am thinking about this little jet.....I just bought a JTM Viper Jet that I am sure is light years ahead of this. In the past I have bought a couple of HK jets and made them work.

They tend to build the jet and not enough though goes behind equipment placement. I don't know if that the case here but it is worth mentioning.
keithtsr is offline Find More Posts by keithtsr
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:20 PM
Joined May 2013
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtsr View Post
I emailed them a couple of weeks ago asking about a release date....they didn't even know what I was talking about. Well I guess I got the release date after all!!

If I was going to rig this jet it would be with 8s Jetfan running a HET 700-68-1400kv motor. Eflite retracts (or similar) with digital servos. It looks like it has a pretty good sized wing I just don't know what the battery compartment will handle.

I am thinking about this little jet.....I just bought a JTM Viper Jet that I am sure is light years ahead of this. In the past I have bought a couple of HK jets and made them work.

They tend to build the jet and not enough though goes behind equipment placement. I don't know if that the case here but it is worth mentioning.
I hear ya about the equipment placement.. I've had that happen to me on other "cheap" good looking models. You can make them fly, but you have to put lots of time and work into it.

I was thinking 8S also. I have a few 4S 35C 4000mah Nanotech's I could use for this setup. I'll check out the EDF and retracts you recomended. Where could I find HET 90mm EDF's at a good price btw?.. And what would I be looking for in my retract selection?

Oh, and you think this Jet would or could use metal gear mini servos, or std? As you've prob come to the conclusion, I am not very EDF Jet guy. I'm more of a sport aerobatic flyer. Have had a few smaller EDF jets like Stinger 64 and such..

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:47 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ450MANNY View Post
I hear ya about the equipment placement.. I've had that happen to me on other "cheap" good looking models. You can make them fly, but you have to put lots of time and work into it.

I was thinking 8S also. I have a few 4S 35C 4000mah Nanotech's I could use for this setup. I'll check out the EDF and retracts you recomended. Where could I find HET 90mm EDF's at a good price btw?.. And what would I be looking for in my retract selection?

Oh, and you think this Jet would or could use metal gear mini servos, or std? As you've prob come to the conclusion, I am not very EDF Jet guy. I'm more of a sport aerobatic flyer. Have had a few smaller EDF jets like Stinger 64 and such..

Thanks!
I really like the Jetfan ....fans. They make the great near turbine sound and put out a lot of power. I get mine from Performance EDF, Mike Warren or Gary at Efflux RC, Efflux also stocks the motors and has super fast shipping. Both guys are great to work with.

Just off the top of my head I would probably look at Eflite's 25-46 sized retracts. I don't know if they will fit or not but they are pretty much the industry standard.

A couple of thoughts of metal gear vs non metal gear servos. I run metal gears on the steering so they will handle the impact (both side and front) and prefer regular gears for flight surfaces. Nylon gear servos are not as tuff as metal but they have very little slop in them.

I like digital servos on flight surfaces because they center better. I'm not saying non digital servos won't work I just prefer to have centering the digital offers for high speed flight.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:57 PM
Joined May 2013
90 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for all the info! I will def check out Efflux and Performance RC!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 05:14 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
5,004 Posts
It loooks ok except for the horrible livery. I first thought that it was un-ducted but saw the ducts sitting there in a different shot. Hard to tell what retracts will fit and what sort of mounting rails there will be.

Nice to know that alternative wings are mentioned for faster set-ups. Maybe that will indicate that spares might be available. I also hope the quality and testing is better than the 90mm Viperjet they released. That had poor finish and dangerously erroneous CG information. Clearly the manufacturer never flew that one.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Aug 12, 2014, 05:14 PM
Joined May 2013
90 Posts
Btw, does anyone know who the manufacturer of this model might be? I'd like to lookup their website and possibly dowoad the manual.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 05:55 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,160 Posts
No way of telling for sure but my money is on CMP, China Model Products.

I think you would have trouble finding a manual or a web site that would have what you are looking for.....
Old Aug 12, 2014, 05:56 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,311 Posts
Look great, except for that massive parkzone habu trainer style wing. Will definitely wait for the speed wing

btw could this be the long awaited "HK Maverick"?
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Aug 12, 2014, 05:59 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,160 Posts
I just found the video.

I think this is the Maverick...or pretty close.

Diablo 90mm EDF Jet - HobbyKing Daily (2 min 11 sec)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 06:43 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,698 Posts
This is the older thread on it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2000880

CMP - same people who brought you the Cougar, T45, L59, etc.

I ordered one and hope it will be here next Monday.

I'm thinking JetFan90/Schubie with HET 1200kv on a low amp 9-10s setup. If anybody has a fan like that for sale... I'm all ears.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:01 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,805 Posts
Nice.... going to watch this one.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:07 AM
Österreich, Stmk., Graz-Umgebung
Joined Sep 2011
488 Posts
I orderd also 2 of this "little BVM style trainers"
We will use Jetfan90 with Het700/68/1400 on 8s 5500mah and Jetfan90 with Het700/68/1200 on 10s/11s/12s 5000mah
YEP120A esc + 20A YEP ubec

Will see what type of retract could be a good solution

Regards,
George
GeorgeStyriaII is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeStyriaII
Old Aug 13, 2014, 06:16 AM
Joined May 2013
90 Posts
Which retract would fit best is my biggest fear.. Haven't had much experience with retracts.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:27 AM
Joined Apr 2007
55 Posts
$240 to ship the $210 kit from the International ware-house to the UAE!!!

I'll have to wait on this one.
RosscoW is offline Find More Posts by RosscoW