HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:01 PM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,063 Posts
Discussion
Michigan Slope Sites – in search of……

After spending three awesome years in South Africa, and flying like mad with the PE Slope Rebels, it was time for me to move back to the USA.
But all I can find driving around in my home state of Michigan are oaks, maples and gentle rolling hills.

Where are the cliffs of Maitlands?, Where is the road up to the top of Lady Slipper?, Where can I see something bigger than an ant hill ?
And why the heck are my Correx Slope Planes still stuck in customs with the rest of my sea-shipment of house-hold goods ???

So I have begun my own journey “in Search of…..”
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Last edited by Flying Beagle; Oct 24, 2013 at 07:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined May 2004
3,063 Posts
My search of RCGroups found the question was first asked way back in July 2001...

this effort was started by others, with minimal success.....

Slope sites SE Michigan
Looking for any slope sites, SE Michigan ???????
Along the Maumee River area the closest thing to a slope is the sledding hill in Wauseon and that is a "C" with the bucket facing north. Maybe an overpass or building would work for you. This area is so flat that 10 mi. visibility is at ground level too.

Sloping in michigan?
1. Castle Park on south side of Holland, about a 70' dune with smooth face.
2. Tunnel Park on north side of holland, same size really, but a better site. This is a county park and they will only let you fly in off season, summer is busy from sunrise to sunset.
3. Ludington near the Au Sable river and state park. Several dunes on the east side of the road, a long sandy hike however. Also a few in the park itself, VERY long hike.
4. Sleeping Bear. Best in Michigan that I have seen, I bet there is better in the UP in the Porqupine Mountains though.

Slope sites in SW Michigan??
It's been a good 20 years ago now, but I recall Warren Dunes State Park, which is about 50 minutes north of Mount Baldy, had lots of r/c thermal and slope pilots. Hang gliders, too

Micigan slopeing
Well I posted this before but thought I would try again. I kow there are lots of hills along lake Michigan, does anyone slope out there?....NO LUCK

Slope sites in southeast Michigan?
I know you can slope at the dunes off lake mich. in indiana on there dune system…..NO LUCK

Helping a friend find slope sites in MI
Last year looked over the edge at Pictured Rocks, There has to be good lift there, but the plane would be a write off if something happened unless you were into repelling! The cliffs have to be 300 feet above the (very small to none) shoreline, and I didnt see any way to get there

West Michigan area slope?
There are a number of people who fly Sleeping Bear….You might also want to try the backside of Cannonsburg Ski Area.

Slopin in SE Michigan?
I know, there are no REAL slopes in SE MI but there are a few sled hills that make due. Me and my pals found one in Madison Heights that is nice with a 10+mph westerly and a smaller one in Sterling Heights with 15+mph southerly…….the only slope I know of that is worth a darn around here and needs a West wind to work. It is in Madison Heights behind the police station about 3 minutes from I-75 and 14 mile Rd and right across the street from a good hobby shop. There is a smaller one in Sterling Heights that works with a South wind (but you better bring a light plane)……I am currently triing to get permission to fly at Mt. Holly and DTE Energy Center (aka. Pine Nob).

slope sites around rochester hills, michigan?
I'm going to go live with my aunt, uncle and cousins during the summer and I was wondering if there were any slope sites close to rochester hills in michigan? (or the closest I can get) Justin….. from Oceanside California…..NO LUCK

Sloping in Michigan
Hi guys, I live in MI Farmington (moved not long ago) and I was wondering if there are any good slopes aroud here? Ive looked in many places but havnt found anything…..NO LUCK

Western Michigan Slope sites
I'm an AMA member planning a vacation near Charlevoix, Michigan and would like to try my hand at slope soaring. Are there any slope sites anyone could recommend ? It'll be my first experience, so I don't want to slope soar on a cliff where I might lose my plane…..NO LUCK

you want to see cold
we hit -25F below wind chills on this day sloping off the bluffs of Lake Michigan in Indiana

Slope soaring on lake Michigan
I would like to contact pleoples that are flying on the dunes between silver lake and sleeping bear dune. I have planed to do a trip with my familly for discovering lake michigan east coast; meet and fly with peoples that are flying there……NO LUCK

Sloping in Michigan?
Check out: 1. The dunes near Harbor Springs (I used to hang glide there), 2. The dunes at Saugatuck, and the dunes at Tunnel Park in Holland. Try doing a few searches for these sites in this forum. Warren Dunes in Indiana is a popular spot as well.
I lived in your area for years and never found nor heard of a decent site. Just too many trees. You might find some lift on the SW side of the Silverdome in Pontiac.

8 hour Slope flights
I responded to an open invitation to go to Frankfort for an 8 hour slope attempt….. at a site called Elberta…. The attempt ended at 7.5 hours. I lost altitude and was unable to recover.

Slope Sites in Michigan
Just wondering if there were any slope sites on the east side of Michigan…..NO LUCK

Slope Soaring in Michigan
I am looking for a slope site on the east coast of michigan, somewhere around Tawas, Algres and such….NO LUCK

Slope Sites in Michigan
Just wondering if there were any slope sites on the east side of Michigan.... Do you think the back side of Mt Holly would work? I drive by it every so often on I-75 and I wonder.....

Eastern Michigan Slopes???
Alright Southeastern Michigan slope flyers, surely there must be a slope close to home without driving west all the way across the state to the dunes to fly?
Anyone know of anywhere to fly? Please help…….NO LUCK

S.E. Michigan Slopes
Does anyone know of any place on the east side of Michigan to slope soar? I don't want to drive 4.5 hours west to the dunes to fly……..NO LUCK

Slope Soaring in Holland Michigan
Winds on this day were 30mph however on Saturday 10/15 they were over 40mph. Site is Tunnel Park in Holland Michigan. Sand dune is at least 80' high and perfect shape for west winds off Lake Michigan. Stairs up the back for easy climb and plenty of room at the top too.
Last edited by Flying Beagle; Aug 30, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined May 2004
3,063 Posts
SLEEPING BEAR SAND DUNES is recognized as the best place to slope soar in Michigan,

here’s a few threads, posts and links

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park Service

Leelanau County –the Dunes

Sleeping Bear slope soaring
Just got the pictures downloaded from our trip to Sleeping Bear in Michigan, although only 100 miles as the plane flies from home, it is a 7 hour drive to get there (400 miles). Although it doesn't look like it the water is about 400 feet below the edge of the brush and sand. Had the best sloping so far this trip the first day put 5.5 hrs in the air…….. I remember descending from the main edge all the way to the shore at a fast bounding jog. At the bottom, I emptied 3 lbs of gravel from each shoe, 2 lbs from my underwear, and spent the next hour climbing back up!

Slope Soaring Michigan
Just thought I would post a picture of our slope site, Sleeping Bear Dunes, in NW Lower Michigan. Lake Michigan coast, 440 ft of vertical, drive up access, acres of landing zone, faces prevailing westerlies, public property (National Lakeshore), can be seen from space shuttle , views of islands and passing freighters and sunsets…… that dune is about three miles long…… Sweet! I'd bring goggles for high wind days, to keep the sand out of my eyes

Sloping at Sleeping Bear Dunes - My thoughts and story
Empire Bluffs - Don't even bother. It's a long walk to the site. The site has no discernable landing zone and if you need to retrieve the plan below you, it'll be a tough walk. That said, you should still make the trip just for the view.
Pyramid Point - This site is for northerly winds. It's a pretty easy walk to the site - 0.7 miles with only a mild incline.
The landing zone is practically non-existent.
Stop #9/#10 on the Scenic Drive -This site is for westerly winds. If the winds are favorable, this is the best site of the bunch.
This is the easiest site to get to. Nearby parking, easy walk.It also offers the best landing zone

Michigan is a "fly over" State
NCFM M60 flying from a bluff 400 feet above the lake in 15-20 mph wind. (Yes, that soft vegetation along the rim of the bowl really is my intended LZ)

Sloping at Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes on Lake Michigan
VIDEO of Multiplex Fox conversion. Final weight ~58 grams!..... watch close. At one point the glider hit the dunes about 75 feet down….... then the breeze caught it just right and it took off again

Slope Sites at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
The process for flying at SBD:
•Go to Sleeping Bear Dunes Visitor Center in Empire. Empire is a small town. If you drive to Empire, you'll find the Visitor's Center.
•If you don't already have a park pass, buy one - $10 for a week pass; $20 for an annual pass.
•Ask to get a permit for R/C gliders. It's a free permit and you need AMA.
•The ranger will show you where to fly. The allowed locations are:
◦Empire Bluffs
◦Pyramid Point
◦Stop #9/#10 on the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive
◦Dune Climb (only between November and May)

We were near Empire but the closest major city is Traverse City.
.... as we walked to the slope (about 3/4 of a mile or more) it was apparent we were dealing with 25+ mph hour winds. As it turned out this was the SLOWEST wind speed we saw all day !! It was stupid windy. Gust to 35+ mph…..We flew and crashed some planes….We lost a full balsa V Tail off a plane just walking back to the car due to the winds. They just ripped the tail from its mounts……We threw some sticks toward Lake Michigan that were bigger than an inch around and two feet long. They went about 6 feet forward then CLIMBED about 12 feet vertically, then went behind us about 25-30 yards!!!

Sleeping Bear Dunes UpdateWe got our permits at the visitor center and got to the Lake Michigan Overlook. Even Calen was excited!! It was blowing straight up the 400ft slope.. IT WAS CRAZY!!!!! wind topping 35mph maybe 40mph it was almost hard to stand. I loaded up the easy glider with everything I had. I replaced the hollow fiberglass wing spar with a solid heavy fiberglass fence post from my farm that I brought just in case and threw in a 2200mah battery just for weight and taped all parts that might work their way out. It took a lot of guts to throw that poor glider into that gail. I let go of Stinky and away he went.. HOLY CRAP! It was amazing
Last edited by Flying Beagle; Aug 30, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:03 PM
Joined May 2004
3,063 Posts
Neighboring States - Slope Locations

Southern Wisconsin Slope Talk

Chicago Area Slope Sites

Who is flying at Mt. Baldy this weekend

Links to Soaring Clubs in Ohio and beyond

Sloping at Brookville Indiana

North Coast Glider Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-4oR_oUeMJ4

Slope Soaring Chicago's lake front - Lincoln Park
Last edited by Flying Beagle; Aug 30, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined May 2004
3,063 Posts
VIDEOS OF MICHIGAN SLOPING ( all from Sleeping Bear Dunes area )

Micro Slope Gliding - mpx Fox rc conversion - sleeping bear dunes (6 min 24 sec)

SLEEPING BEAR DUNES (3 min 21 sec)

Paragliding Michigan Tour (3 min 49 sec)

FPV Muskegon State Park - December 2010 (3 min 42 sec)

Zagi hunting in Michigan (3 min 21 sec)

NCFM M60 Over Lake Michigan (2 min 52 sec)

RC Slope Soaring at Sleeping Bear Dunes (12 min 9 sec)

Sleeping Bear Dunes! Slope Soaring (2 min 56 sec)

COMPRESSION (3 min 33 sec)

Rookie Slope Pilot (2 min 8 sec)

RC Glider Flying from Empire Bluff on 3 June 2013 (2 min 30 sec)

Glider Over Empire (v1) (4 min 28 sec)

RC Glider Over Lake Michigan (2 min 52 sec)
Last edited by Flying Beagle; Aug 30, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined May 2004
3,063 Posts
Soaring and Gliding: The Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Area (MI) (Images of Aviation)

a book from Amazon
Last edited by Flying Beagle; Aug 30, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined May 2004
3,063 Posts
SlopeFlyer.com Slope Sites in Michigan

SlopeFlyer.com Archives

Wind Guru for Ann Arbor
Last edited by Flying Beagle; Sep 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined May 2004
3,063 Posts
this spot saved for future reference info
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:03 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,990 Posts
Those are some amazing looking sites.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined May 2004
3,063 Posts
ja, Sleeping Bear looks awesome, I havent flown it yet, I hope to make a trip up there before it snows, but its about a four hour drive.....so looking for something closer to keep me fed between big trips up north
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:11 PM
I'd rather be out sloping...
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Jan 2011
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Beagle View Post
ja, .......
Hehehe.....been in SA too long?

Find some nice slopes and I might come and join you one day for a slope tour.

Cheers,

Jakes
Jak35 is offline Find More Posts by Jak35
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jak35; Aug 31, 2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: You joining us for Hermanus this year? :)
Old Aug 31, 2013, 03:00 PM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Beagle View Post
ja,
Ja ......
That's some sort of bird?

Some nice research FB!
Good luck!
J
johannlochner is online now Find More Posts by johannlochner
Last edited by johannlochner; Aug 31, 2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: slope tour?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined May 2004
3,063 Posts
Ha. I knew it wouldn't be long before you okes "found" me here.....Hermanus not likely this year.
An SA / USA slope tour would be awesome!
Old Sep 01, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,987 Posts
Have been reading this thread with interest as I, too, would like to try slope soaring in the
west Michigan area. I live close to Frankfort, Empire, Alberta and Sleeping Bear Dunes and although I fly powered RC in the area have never taken advantage of the winds for soaring. Tried a thread to find some guidance but not much happened with it. Plan on building a glider and slope soarer to "test the winds" so I'll be following along to note the interest. There is a group of flyers that come up to Sleeping Bear, from Chesaning (?), but I have no contact for you at this time. As the area is rated high by folks like Dave Garwood, you'd think slope soarers would be beating a track up here. Hopefully your thread will bring in those who can offer some good advise. Welcome back to Michigan!

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Sep 03, 2013, 01:24 PM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
882 Posts
Cool, cool, lekker; but when will you be coming home Jim?
Drusky is offline Find More Posts by Drusky