Find More Posts by QuadMcFly
I'd rather be flying
United States, TN, Collegedale
Joined Dec 2014
633 Posts
Mini-Review
GensAce 2200mah 25C LiPo Review and Testing

GensAce 2200mah 3S 25C Review and Testing

Since the GensAce 2200mah 25C batteries were on a significant sale recently, I picked up two to do a bit of testing. I spent a couple days gathering data, and here are the results.

To give a bit of background, I am a multirotor pilot, and am primarily interested in miniquads.That being said the testing I've done applies universally, and the 2200mah size battery is very adaptable to general use in miniquads, 450 class multirotors, small helicopters and airplanes.

For this test I've done some stress testing and general data collection with this battery, and for comparison purposes a Turnigy 2200mah 35C as well. I began by testing the internal resistance of the battery. I also did a current draw test on both batteries at 25A to measure voltage drop.Finally Irecorded a flight with an onboard current and voltage sensor in the OSD to demonstrate voltage drop in real world flight conditions.

Physical Characteristics

My first impressions of this battery are very positive. The battery is very solid and well built. There is a very thin aluminum support that surrounds the battery and adds additional protection to the top, back, and bottom of the battery. This protective layer doesn't extend down the sides however. Where the high current lines enter the battery casing they are re-enforced with additional heat shrink. The balance leads come out the opposite side of the casing rather than the same side as the high current lines. This battery did come with 4mm bullet connectors, which I had to cut and resolder to my standard XT60. The battery weighs in at 190g with the factory connector and 187g after being modified with the XT60.

Internal Resistance

As a first test I measured the IR of the battery in several conditions. I tested at both full voltage, storage voltage, and full discharge after a flight. I used this tool to estimate the C rating and constant average amp draw for the battery. It is worth noting that the post flight battery was quite warm, and that does effect IR quite a bit.

Scenario (GensAce) ........ IR(mOhm) ........ Amps(avg) ........ C(avg)
Full Charge (75F) ................... 3.3 .................... 63 ...................... 29
Storage Charge (75F) ............ 3.2 .................... 64 ...................... 29
Nominal Charge (95F)........... 2.8 .................... 69 ...................... 31

As you can see all of the average C ratings were well above the listed 25C rating from the factory.

For comparision here is the data for the Turnigy 2200mah 35C battery.

Scenario (Turnigy) ........ IR(mOhm) ........Amps(avg) ........ C(avg)
Full Charge (75F) ................... 3.5..................... 61 .................... 28
Full Charge (95F) ................... 2.2 ....................71 ..................... 35
Storage Charge (75F) .......... 3.4 ................... 62 ..................... 28

Load Testing

I wired the battery up to a 25A load to test voltage drop. At the top of the battery the voltage dropped mostly linearly at a rate of 0.03V per A. That leads to a projected drop of 1.5V at a 50A load.

The flight video shows a voltage drop of about 1.7A at 50A which is very close given the drop in efficiency as the current increases. The battery was cool to the touch after 25A (1C) tests, and only slightly warm after flight testing. Load handling appears to be consistent with the projections based on IR measurement. Flight times are around 5 minutes on my Cobra 2204 2300kv motors pushing 5x4.5 bullnose props with punchouts drawing 50+ amps and average flying drawing 15-20A.

For comparison the Turnigy battery performed basically the same with a 0.0325V per A drop.

Conclusions

These batteries are very well made and seem to be well rated, meeting or exceeding the factory 25C specification. Time will tell if that C rating drifts after regular use and abuse, but from initial flight tests I am optimisitic.The weight and size are better than many other 2200mah batteries as well, which works out well for miniquads. Overall I am impressed with the quality and performance of the battery, and am looking forward to some long term results. For those interested, the battery is available here: http://www.genstattu.com/ga-b-25c-2200-3s1p.html
QuadMcFly is online now Find More Posts by QuadMcFly
Last edited by QuadMcFly; Jun 24, 2015 at 03:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2015, 07:02 AM
Find More Posts by Murdock80
Outlaw flyer
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 2014
561 Posts
Awesome test quad! I just soldered my deans connectors last night! Hopefully i can test them out this week in some planes! Thanks buddy! We'll check back your long term test. Happy flying! Adam
Murdock80 is offline Find More Posts by Murdock80
Old Jun 24, 2015, 08:52 AM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Dec 2014
633 Posts
Thanks man! I'll post again in a couple months to see how the battery is holding up. Looking forward to hearing your experience with these as well. Anyone else who has input on this battery feel welcome to add your own experience!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by rampman
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
9,057 Posts
Your HUGE pictures are KILLING ME.
Resize or remove please; if you want people to actually read your review.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jun 24, 2015, 02:41 PM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Dec 2014
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post

Rick
I was under the impression the BB system automatically generated thumbnails. I guess I was mistaken. Also I'm spoiled by a fast internet connection, so I didn't notice the load time.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 03:18 PM
Find More Posts by imgumby
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post

Rick
yep...the load time is waaaaay beyond my attention span
imgumby
imgumby is offline Find More Posts by imgumby
Old Jun 24, 2015, 03:45 PM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Dec 2014
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgumby View Post
yep...the load time is waaaaay beyond my attention span
imgumby
You guys need faster internet!

Fixed!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by mrforsyth
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,861 Posts
Nice review of the Gens Ace batteries but take note that the Turnigy IR Meter is very poorly designed and should not be used to estimate discharge performance (C rating).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=662

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=664

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=665

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2015, 03:55 PM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Dec 2014
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Nice review of the Gens Ace batteries but take note that the Turnigy IR Meter is very poorly designed and should not be used to estimate discharge performance (C rating).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=662

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=664

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=665

Mark

Yeah that was the feeling I got. It seems to vary further off with the higher current rated batteries. Nano polymers seem to really throw it off.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 09:55 PM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Dec 2014
633 Posts
These are back on sale for $8.99! http://www.genstattu.com
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by SukcriE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
So excellent battery test. I also know from my friend GensAce hold a big promotion. We can buy our battery at great discount, so cool, and over $89.99 for free shipping
SukcriE is offline Find More Posts by SukcriE
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:09 PM
Find More Posts by Cyjonz
United States, IA, Armstrong
Joined Jan 2014
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadMcFly View Post
These are back on sale for $8.99! http://www.genstattu.com
What a joke!! Just tried to put 3 in my cart and it says quantity not available. I can get 1 with $16.70 shipping.
Cyjonz is offline Find More Posts by Cyjonz