New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2015, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by Laury415
United States, CA, Salida
Joined Dec 2013
152 Posts
I ended up buying the Swift (ARF). I really love this plane. It is a lot of fun to fly and helping me learn 3D. I have a friend that's good at 3D take it for a spin and he really enjoyed it. He was able to do everything that I'm still challenged with so I at least know the plane is capable.

I had a break by the wheel mount, and the motor mount (2 separate crashes). Fixed both and reinforced with CF by the wheel mount and 1/8" plywood by the motor mount.

The plane is very durable but a little hard to land when its windy because it floats so well. On one of my last landings i set it down perfect, then a gust of wind flipped it and broke the prop. Oh well, at least it's easy to repair.
Laury415 is offline Find More Posts by Laury415
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2015, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by RexGalore
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Middletown
Joined Feb 2014
264 Posts
I had given up on it was all ready to "harvest" the electronics from my 1100mm "Fat Yak", but gave it another once-over, straightening the tail as best I could, resetting the trims to zero, bolted on (yet another) new prop, and after a few test flights, reset the down & right thrust from where it was.

So, it actually sport flies pretty well now. Not great, not relaxing to fly by any means (not that I expect it to be a Super Cub), but it does neat rolls and high alpha flight is possible (for me). My pitifully short attempts at inverted flight seems somewhat neutral (I run a 2600 battery sideways in the front of the slot to balance it at 125mm from the LE @ the root).

But, what does it mean when after doing a simple loop that at the bottom the plane hooks out to the right? It does this consistently, and pretty hard. What could I change to cure it from doing this?
RexGalore is online now Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Jun 23, 2015, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by NewZee
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
I had given up on it was all ready to "harvest" the electronics from my 1100mm "Fat Yak", but gave it another once-over, straightening the tail as best I could, resetting the trims to zero, bolted on (yet another) new prop, and after a few test flights, reset the down & right thrust from where it was.

So, it actually sport flies pretty well now. Not great, not relaxing to fly by any means (not that I expect it to be a Super Cub), but it does neat rolls and high alpha flight is possible (for me). My pitifully short attempts at inverted flight seems somewhat neutral (I run a 2600 battery sideways in the front of the slot to balance it at 125mm from the LE @ the root).

But, what does it mean when after doing a simple loop that at the bottom the plane hooks out to the right? It does this consistently, and pretty hard. What could I change to cure it from doing this?
Look at your elevator at full deflection? is it equal delection on both the feft and right side? if not it might be why you go right coming out of a loop?

If this is what is causing your problem adding some CF strips to "stiffen" the elevator might help!
NewZee is online now Find More Posts by NewZee
Old Jun 23, 2015, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by fauconnier
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
820 Posts
I love my mini tempo ( Reaktor) and I am looking for my next Techone product. Strictly for 3D flying ( with a power set up, 3530 or 3536 motor, 2200 mha battery) witch one is the best ?
Yak 54 1100 mm
Su 31 -2 1100 mm
S bach 342 1100 mm
Tempo 1100 mm.
Swift 1200 mm.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Jun 23, 2015, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by ahicks
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,980 Posts
The extra wing area of the Swift will support the weight of that 2200 noticeably better than the rest. Doesn't look like it in the pics, but there's quite a bit of difference going from 1100mm to 1200mm. It's a much bigger wing.

I use a 3536 on mine. Extra wing carries the extra weight of the 3536 nicely, still feels floaty. Normally fly with 15-1600mah (mostly 3D), I go to a 2200 when it's really windy...
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Jun 23, 2015, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by dalecheek1
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,745 Posts
Have been flying Swift for over a year learning minor 3D
SWIFT More EASY GREASY FLYING (5 min 33 sec)
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jun 23, 2015, 04:00 PM
Joined Nov 2012
2,745 Posts
Now i have the TH 48in Sabch which i can fly lower and slower because i trained with the Swift
06 21 15 TH 48" Sabch low an slow in small area (5 min 2 sec)
Istill fly Swift in backyard also
Old Jun 23, 2015, 04:05 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
803 Posts
Nice videos "Dale" here is one of me flying my Sukhoi SU-31. only my second flight, and just starting to try some 3D but I can already see this plane has the potential for it!
TECHONE SU-31 (3 min 5 sec)
Old Jun 23, 2015, 04:16 PM
Joined Nov 2012
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee View Post
Nice videos "Dale" here is one of me flying my Sukhoi SU-31. only my second flight, and just starting to try some 3D but I can already see this plane has the potential for it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8py9f4GBPY
Good stuff....after a while U also will be flying inches off of the deck,,,
Old Jun 23, 2015, 06:20 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
Good stuff....after a while U also will be flying inches off of the deck,,,
Hope so! but so far I love the Techone SU-31! it is just as expected! between this and some "sim time" I hope to improve my 3D skills quickly, but I also enjoy flying the Sukhoi in "sport" mode as well! the versatility and durability is what drove me to the "Techone" model.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by kid at 55
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
Have been flying Swift for over a year learning minor 3D https://youtu.be/4KRNDgpxXHA
What your setup on the Swift ?
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Jun 25, 2015, 05:47 PM
Joined Feb 2014
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee View Post
Look at your elevator at full deflection? is it equal delection on both the feft and right side? if not it might be why you go right coming out of a loop?

If this is what is causing your problem adding some CF strips to "stiffen" the elevator might help!
I think you've put your finger on the problem. I have attempted to "square" the tail with the wing using the CF braces under the horizontal stab, and it has, to some extent. However, the elevator is rather "potato chipped" wavy, and uneven across the TE. It has a CF rod across the front of the elevator, just behind the hinge line.

I don't know if I could successfully run CF rod or tube through it or strips to straighten it without making it's already very "butt heavy" problem worse.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 06:30 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
803 Posts
Quote:
I think you've put your finger on the problem. I have attempted to "square" the tail with the wing using the CF braces under the horizontal stab, and it has, to some extent. However, the elevator is rather "potato chipped" wavy, and uneven across the TE. It has a CF rod across the front of the elevator, just behind the hinge line.

I don't know if I could successfully run CF rod or tube through it or strips to straighten it without making it's already very "butt heavy" problem worse.

Thanks for your help!
A flat elevator would be ideal, but I'm not sure what I see in your pic would cause the problem you described? (I've flown planes in a lot worse shape than this) how does the elevator look when under full deflection (up or down)?

the flexible nature of the EPP is one of the things we put up with, with these planes, but the durability is worth it! you could try adding some flat CF stiffiners? I did this with the rudder on my SU-31 and it helped!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 07:53 PM
Joined Feb 2014
264 Posts
In person, it does look quite a bit worse. I guess the flat stuff wouldn't weigh much. What size did you use on your rudder? Did you cut a slot with an Xacto knife & CA it in?
Thanx again!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:14 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
803 Posts
Quote:
In person, it does look quite a bit worse. I guess the flat stuff wouldn't weigh much. What size did you use on your rudder? Did you cut a slot with an Xacto knife & CA it in?
Thanx again!
I used flat CF stock the dimension is 4 X .6mm (.157" X .024"), yes I did cut a shallow "slot" to accept the CF and used Welders Glue (E6000) to glue it in.