HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:36 PM
United States, AL, Springville
Joined Jun 2011
63 Posts
glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShot View Post
For those of you who've put together one of 3Drankin's replacement body, what glue did you choose?

All I've got at the moment are some 5 minute epoxy and some foam safe CA. What glue would be better to use that's easy to acquire?
I use foam tac glue. Bonds depron,carbon fiber and stays flexible,never brittle.
3drankin is offline Find More Posts by 3drankin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DMON lil, ripper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
320 Posts
hello all, today I just recived my as3xtra today and I have to say that it is a great flying airplane. however, I think that mine is defective because when I was flying in my front yard, the motor cut out without warning, and I had no control over the servos. It seems like I had a brownout, however I was only 1 min into the flight with a fully charged 2 month old eflite 150 mah 35c battery. The same thing happend twice, and I was in a dive, so it crumpled the fron end . It also only happend outside, never indoors. I was well within the reciver's range (10-15 ft) when the incidents happed. I'm, just wondering if anybody else had the same problems and a solution
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:56 AM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimicrorc View Post
hello all, today I just recived my as3xtra today and I have to say that it is a great flying airplane. however, I think that mine is defective because when I was flying in my front yard, the motor cut out without warning, and I had no control over the servos. It seems like I had a brownout, however I was only 1 min into the flight with a fully charged 2 month old eflite 150 mah 35c battery. The same thing happend twice, and I was in a dive, so it crumpled the fron end . It also only happend outside, never indoors. I was well within the reciver's range (10-15 ft) when the incidents happed. I'm, just wondering if anybody else had the same problems and a solution
I had similar problem. Mine turned out to be loose battery connection.
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Old Aug 30, 2014, 08:17 PM
Just a whisper in the wind
United States, OH, Chillicothe
Joined Jul 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid View Post
Are both pins wired, or just one?
Only one pin is wired
Birds of Prey is offline Find More Posts by Birds of Prey
Old Sep 08, 2014, 02:26 AM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,383 Posts
Has anybody come up with a better or alternative method of fixing the battery to the fuselage? Its just that most of my 1c batteries don't have the hook'n'loop velcro.
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Old Sep 08, 2014, 02:33 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Mar 2014
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-span View Post
Has anybody come up with a better or alternative method of fixing the battery to the fuselage? Its just that most of my 1c batteries don't have the hook'n'loop velcro.
If you find the exact cg first you can cut a little slot for the battery to slide into, very quick and easy with no need for velcro, and ive found that the plane doesnt generat enough force when flying 3d to pop the battery out (if hole is cut to proper size)

-Mike
rcduder is offline Find More Posts by rcduder
Old Sep 08, 2014, 05:10 AM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,127 Posts
I have a little loop of double-sided velcro that I slide my batteries into then attach to the plane.

I do the same on both my UMX habu, and my edge 540QQ.
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Sep 08, 2014, 07:53 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3 Posts
Replacement airframe

Purchased the 3Drankin precut airframe. After questions about new placement of receiver forward and settings I've tweaked the flight characteristics. It's fly able but not the same experience as the original Mylar covered frame. Feels heavier and had to use knife edge instead of hover on settings. Just glad to be flying it again. Any more tips would be most welcome. Are 1S 150 20C batts sufficient?
dcjunkieme is offline Find More Posts by dcjunkieme
Old Sep 08, 2014, 08:08 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
Joined May 2001
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjunkieme View Post
Are 1S 150 20C batts sufficient?
Not really. Use 1S 150 45C for better performance. There are other batt choices but the 150 20C aren't it. How much flight time on the motor? The stock AS3Xtra motors wear pretty fast.

Definitely upgrade to at least 150mAh 45c. You will notice the difference
Last edited by Wid; Sep 09, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2014, 11:37 AM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
Joined May 2001
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjunkieme View Post
Purchased the 3Drankin precut airframe. After questions about new placement of receiver forward and settings I've tweaked the flight characteristics. It's fly able but not the same experience as the original Mylar covered frame. Feels heavier and had to use knife edge instead of hover on settings. Just glad to be flying it again. Any more tips would be most welcome. Are 1S 150 20C batts sufficient?
What is the problem with Hover? If you were happy with Hover before I would think it would be OK for you now, assuming your motor and battery are up to the task. With the extra length of the push rods in the 3drankin airframe sometimes extra slop can be introduced and cause problems. Some solutions are discussed here.

A worn motor really degrades flight performance. When it is time to replace motor I suggest Micro-motor-warehouse 0820-15. I have been very pleased with them and the extra punch is nice.
Last edited by Wid; Sep 11, 2014 at 01:03 AM.