SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:49 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
Careful!
Distracted Pre-flight Leads to Fatal Consequences...

Sad, but a good reminder to stay focused during critical tasks, and to avoid tip-toeing on the limit when lives are on the line.
Josh

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/09/us/pil...t=hp_inthenews
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:27 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,262 Posts
He was also texting while he was flying the chopper. Too bad three other people had to pay for his foolishness. Ironic that he was flying a medevac chopper.

I like the modern convienences, but for the life of me I will ever understand the cell phone/texting craze.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:49 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
It has pros and cons, just like anything else. The main convenience for me is that, just like an email, it allows me to send a message quickly and/or in little bits, without drawing my focus away from the main thing I'm doing. For example, if I'm at a baseball game I can watch the play, type a few words, watch the next play, type a few more words, play, words, finish thought, send, all on my own convenient-to-me time schedule. It's also handy in areas with poor reception, where a small file-size text can get sent, but a phone call would be a garbled mess.
-J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,687 Posts
I've been flying airplanes and helicopters for over four decades and I'm still amazed that so many aircraft auger in due to fuel exhaustion. It's still poor planning and judgement, but I'm willing to cut airplanes a bit more slack because they require a runway. Same for helos in low IFR conditions because slow cruising aircraft have limited options for alternates. But as far as I'm concerned, there's just no excuse for fuel exhaustion in helos operating in visual conditions. Just land it anywhere it'll fit and worry about the consequences later. It may cost the pilot his job or even his ticket, but if they lack the judgement to make responsible decisions on behalf of the passengers and folks on the ground, then they shouldn't be piloting aircraft.

As far as the texting thing is concerned, Mr Bell is turning over in his grave since so many have traded the miracle of instant voice communication for a tiny, inefficient typewriter.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56