HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:55 AM
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,165 Posts
Discussion
Marker pen and high-contrast color scheme Hobby Zone Super Cub

Quick and simple, picked up a marker pen and some masking tape from WalMart and had it done before leaving the parking lot

"Art Skills Big Area Marker" works well, has a very wide tip

I could hit it a second time for better coverage-- it' not as solid black up close as it looks in the photos-- but who cares? Looks fine in the air. The marker didn't eat into the Z-foam as far as I could see.

Now I can see it well enough against any backdrop, any light conditions, to fly it out of radio range every time!

(Linkages are so it will act like a free-flight plane when this happens-- till I get the radio link back-- and when flying far or high, I only fly it upwind of me!)

Aeronaut's principles for RC aircraft color schemes, for visibility at great distances:

* If you want to see your friends at great distances against any backdrop-- shining cumulus, bright blue sky, or grey overcast-- your friends should be black and white. Ask the Bald Eagles!

(Or some variant thereof-- pale day-glow lime green and midnight blue, etc...)

* Bottom should be 2/3 dark and 1/3 light, top should be the reverse

(I should ink over the bottom of the fuse too for better effect)

* Colors should be consolidated into a few solid blocks, not dispersed into "bar code" striping, invasion stripes, sunbursts, or long skinny rectangles

Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts