HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:31 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
I also take the view that having made such a good impact with the DC-16 Jeti have to some extent shot themselves in the foot with the styling of the long awaited DS-16, what a great shame. However the software is the same, I presume, which seems to be head and shoulders above the competition and I like the range of additional receivers and sensors that Jeti offer, so my solution is to go with the DC-16 and convert to tray flying. Decisions, decisions!!
Stan Rose is offline Find More Posts by Stan Rose
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:32 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
I don't buy a new transmitter on looks :-) I think the DC-16 is a quality piece of engineering (one if the reasons I got it) but is as ugly as sin and I can't say the looks have got any admiring comments at the field and certainly not a radio to pose with. All about the feel, the switch placement, the quality and the features to me.

Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:52 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder": Margaret Wolfe Hungerford (1855-1897)
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:31 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,878 Posts
Well, to my eye, the DS-16 is a bit of an ugly duckling. However, if this means that engineering and ergonomic arguments have won out over aesthetic considerations, I can live with that.

One downside I can see though: At the moment my MPX profi 3030 goes in the same partitioned aluminium case as my batteries, tools etc. or in a rucksack with just a block of soft foam to protect the sticks and switches. Accommodating the DS-16 safely in anything other than its own custom made case looks like being much more difficult.
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Apr 2005
563 Posts
I hope there is an aftermarket mod for the aerial. That would swing it for me.
Functionality is first, form is second. I assume Jeti had some problems with RF under testing? Would be nice to know what the reasoning is for the late change of the DS-16 design.
VinceHaworth is offline Find More Posts by VinceHaworth
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:43 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceHaworth View Post
I I assume Jeti had some problems with RF under testing? Would be nice to know what the reasoning is for the late change of the DS-16 design.
I believe that that answer is to be had here but unfortunately I don't speak German-is there anyone out there that can transalate?

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...dsender/page27
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:54 PM
USN (retired)
Idaho
Joined Jul 2007
218 Posts
Since you have the production version of the DS-16 now, how about some comparison pictures/video of it and the DC-16?
flymustangs is online now Find More Posts by flymustangs
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:26 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Rose View Post
I believe that that answer is to be had here but unfortunately I don't speak German-is there anyone out there that can transalate?

Linky doesn't work Stan!
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:11 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
Linky doesn't work Stan!
Sorry Gentlemen - but that's as I copied it automatically from the screen I was on at the time. Trouble is I can't now remember which screen I was on.

Another reminder of "Anno Domini"!!
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:28 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,044 Posts
Same link as reported by Alfasud on the previous page:

My german is poor at best, but this link to google might help:
http://translate.google.com/translat...ender%2Fpage27
I can't see anything obvious there discussing technical issues with the antenna - just people moaning about the styling effects
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
I don't get it. The DS16 looks fine to me. I have no idea if it's comfortable or not, which I think is the only important styling point, personally.

I don't see much difference between it and the DC16, except the DC16 is wider and obviously designed for tray use...which comes with a host of styling changes. But for a hand-held, it looks pretty normal to me.

I like the sliders on the side, where my fore-finger normally resides. Which is where they are on my 10X and my 11X and my buddie's 12X...so I'm not sure what the issue is there.

As for the antenna...I'm amazed at how much complaining there is about this. Really? Just a few years ago, we all had 1M whips sticking out the top of our Tx...as far as I'm concerned, anything that is NOT that, is OK by me.
drice is offline Find More Posts by drice
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:58 PM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,179 Posts
I was also waiting for a DS-16, but by the looks of these pictures I will not get one. If I will get a chance to hold one, I might change my mind, but probably not. That antenna is an eye sore for me, and the first thing I noticed when I glanced at the picture.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined May 2010
1,623 Posts
Please let us correct the “Antennagate” crisis. After talking to Jeti head engineer, the fully functional radio we have here is only for software and hardware evaluation. The design is 99% finishes but antennas are still being decided. Jeti guys would like to have 90 degree angle for best signal strength, we would like to have integrated antenna/handle option. All will be decided this week.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined May 2010
1,623 Posts
We have 3D models of possible options.
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
Both look fine to me, but I suspect the one on the left has a better pattern, and therefore would be the best way to go, provided my assumption is right (big IF there).
drice is offline Find More Posts by drice