HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:12 AM
United States, MS, Senatobia
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Discussion
Finally Got My Anderson M5 Race Kit. (Build Thread)

Hey Guys,

Well, it took a while to get but the Anderson M5 Race Kit is finally here. I've been wanting one of these since I first learned there were 5th scale bikes. I haven't been able to find ANY info on people running these, the only sparse info was on the Duratrax dxr500 which isn't the same bike, shares some parts but that's it.

I'll be documenting the build here and let you know the good, bad and ugly. First thing is the packaging is fantastic, everything is bagged and marked very well. The other big plus is it's a kit, I like knowing everything is put together correctly. In general when I buy something already assembled I take it apart and rebuild it, it's the only way to know for sure nothing will be falling off.

First pics are of the kit, I'm starting the build now so updates and build pics will follow shortly.

Paul.
ParacordPaul is offline Find More Posts by ParacordPaul
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:23 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
Nice to see this.
How are you sure, though that this is different to the DXR500?
the Motocross models are identical, save for the stickers...
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Oct 26, 2011, 04:31 AM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParacordPaul View Post
I haven't been able to find ANY info on people running these, the only sparse info was on the Duratrax dxr500 which isn't the same bike, shares some parts but that's it.
The Anderson and Duratrax RTR bikes are pretty much identical. The only differences are cosmetic. Duratrax doesn't have a kit available yet but it too would be the same.

Bruce
slawsonb is offline Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Hi Guys,

Both bikes share the same frame and body work no doubt. The difference lies in the fact that this bike has no gyro, has a slipper clutch and some Lexan bodywork giving a steeper lean angle. It also comes with some hop ups.

Paul.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:51 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,167 Posts
Paul: I was hoping you were going to say you got the Option version. That's the one I'm really curious to see.

I'm sure you'll keep us updated on the build -- looking forward to it!
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:17 PM
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Hey Guys,

Okay, here's some info on the bike that I was curious about. I wanted to know how the M5 compared to what I currently run, mainly the wide glides. (FM1, NF 501)

Chassis; way thinner width wise as compared to the older bikes. I want to compare it to an SB5 but I don't have one yet, Mike does, I'll compare sizing with his. The one thing I can't do is weights until I get the SB5.

Anderson M5 Chassis, 212.6 grams NF501 bare chassis 328.8 grams

I opted for the reinforced nylon over the graphite chassis. I've got some experience with the DXR500 and it can take a beating, the graphite although stiffer may have more of a tendency to crack in a bad crash.

Next was the bodywork and rider.

M5 body, 209.7 grams, TT Lexan, 76.5 grams.

M5 rider, 172.9 grams, Alleven Lexan, 65.2 grams

No compaison on the body and rider, Lexan wins hands down. I have a modded Lexan body I'm going to try and fit to the M5, it's also getting a Alleven Rider figure.

The chassis parts on the M5 are interlocking and the fit was perfect. The moldings were very clean with no flashing to take care of. The complete chassis as shown goes together with a total of 10 screws, extremely simple and well thought out.

Paul.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:14 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
936 Posts
After seeing what the RTR can do I'm sure your "KIT" will perform just fine. Why don't you tell us what you really got there Mister " I gotta have something nobody else has"
dragbikebam is offline Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:02 PM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,772 Posts
I have all the parts in stock to convert the RTR version into the gyroless model. I'll have to double check if I have the parts on the website yet.

Bruce
slawsonb is offline Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:42 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
hmmm... no crashbcack...
But then again the SB5 doesnt have one, either...
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:40 AM
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
hmmm... no crashbcack...
But then again the SB5 doesnt have one, either...
Correct, but I've got to say one of the guys we run with has a DXR500 and I've seen the thing have really bad crashes over and over. The bike just doesn't quit. I think that part of it is the body work being integral to the chassis when mounted up. It really offers allot of stiffness and protection.

I know many guys have said the hard body seems toy like but the bike itself is a real runner. I also like the foam rider but he's so heavy compared to lexan. Maybe I can hog out the rider a bit to lighten him up or just use it on display.

Quote:
I have all the parts in stock to convert the RTR version into the gyroless model. I'll have to double check if I have the parts on the website yet.
Hi Bruce, I had checked your site but didn't see much listed for the M5. I'm not sure why people haven't stocked this "kit" version. I couldn't find one anywhere and ordered straight from Anderson, not the most "economical" way to get one.

Quote:
Why don't you tell us what you really got there Mister " I gotta have something nobody else has"
LMAO!! Dare to be different my friend!

Paul.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:18 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
Graupner in Germany offers this Bike too, as "MRX5 STREET BIKE Race Version".
According to the Web Site it is pre built, has Aluminium Forks, Slipper Clutch and Spoke Wheels (No Gyro). No Electronics, No Motor.

Gregor has the Option Version (http://rc-motorradshop.de/produkte/a...ption_version/).
I looked at it at the Worlds in Lostallo, but am also curious to see how it performs. It looks quite nice.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:22 AM
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Hi Guys,

I built up the forks, these are the air balanced aluminum type. A trick I learned from Mike on making air forks work smooth with some damping was using fabric in the piston grooves. I use a different material to make the seals that worked out excellent. The micro-fiber cloths you use to clean with is what I used. What I did was trim the sewn edge and cut it to size to fit around the piston groove. Then I used Goop (shoegoo) and spread it in the grove. Wrap the cloth around the piston and work it from the center to the edges, it only takes a couple minutes and it's done. Use your favorite silicon grease to soak the cloth after it drys overnight.

Makes a huge difference in fork action.

Paul.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:49 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParacordPaul View Post
Hi Guys,

I built up the forks, these are the air balanced aluminum type. A trick I learned from Mike on making air forks work smooth with some damping was using fabric in the piston grooves. I use a different material to make the seals that worked out excellent. The micro-fiber cloths you use to clean with is what I used. What I did was trim the sewn edge and cut it to size to fit around the piston groove. Then I used Goop (shoegoo) and spread it in the grove. Wrap the cloth around the piston and work it from the center to the edges, it only takes a couple minutes and it's done. Use your favorite silicon grease to soak the cloth after it drys overnight.

Makes a huge difference in fork action.

Paul.
I really like this idea
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:48 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
936 Posts
Wow you really were listening
dragbikebam is offline Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:42 PM