HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:24 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Jun 2006
226 Posts
Replacing Parts on these EDFs

For me; and I mean me - I gut these planes even before the maiden; by the way that goes for all the EDFs from China. Cool as they are I do in no way trust the servos (especially), ESCs which are typically way low in amp coverage for bigger batts, and pre-glued parts. I build'em to last and be trusted in the areas I fly. Reliable L/G issues have been around forever; even on "gassers" with air retracts would sometimes fail to deploy or go up. Seems though Eflite has the right idea and prove worthy.
"TIMBITS" is offline Find More Posts by "TIMBITS"
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:46 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
Here was how I did the main doors, which is basically a copy of the Nitro 90-mm version. The servo is not just glued to the wire-cover plate, but is also hot glued to a recess in the foam underneath.

Both the door servos are on a Y-lead so you have to adjust the throws mechanically between the front and the rear servo operation. You could use a mix channel but I ran out of channels on my eight channel receiver.

Regards,

Eric.
Thankyou so much for posting this. I'll begin my gear door upgrade this week.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:09 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,504 Posts
Excellent, thanks Eric!
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:47 PM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Oct 2006
236 Posts
Hi all. I thought I'd share a few pictures of my Super Hornet. Recently 'refurbished' the entire airframe after putting tons of flight hours into the jet. Sanded, filled in dents and cracks, and repainted the entire plane back into the original Jolly Roger's scheme only with light ghost grey spray paint.

Specifications for my jet:
68mm RCLander DPS 6S EDF unit @ 56A (1400W)
80A Detrum ESC
3300 mah 6S Turnigy nano-tech LiPo battery
RCLander LS-2 metal gear elevator servos
MaxiLights custom lights kit

More info in my blog page.

EDIT (March 12, 2013): Uploaded new pictures of some recent updates to my aircraft. It now contains my own made wingtip pylons as well as anti-skid walkways made from sandpaper on the forward part of the LEX's (leading edge extensions).
Roen is offline Find More Posts by Roen
Last edited by Roen; Mar 12, 2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Updated the pictures to show some recent cosmetic changes to the aircraft.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:40 PM
Joined May 2011
430 Posts
Thanks for sharing ROEN...and Thanks for your service. Keep it safe out there!

In assembling my new kit version of this F-18 to replace my crippled ARF Diamond Back I failed to realize that the original elevator servos are actually reverse servos. Now I have two, new elevator servos glued and installed on my kit version that work in opposite direction...Dam&6%^ I hate when that happens. I don't think it will fly in this configuration!
reno4sure is offline Find More Posts by reno4sure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fms 1700 f4u
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:57 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno4sure View Post
Thanks for sharing ROEN...and Thanks for your service. Keep it safe out there!

In assembling my new kit version of this F-18 to replace my crippled ARF Diamond Back I failed to realize that the original elevator servos are actually reverse servos. Now I have two, new elevator servos glued and installed on my kit version that work in opposite direction...Dam&6%^ I hate when that happens. I don't think it will fly in this configuration!
How many channels do you have on your RX and what sort of TX?.

There are several ways to fix your problem!! Some without radio work!

E.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:08 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
How many channels do you have on your RX and what sort of TX?.

There are several ways to fix your problem!! Some without radio work!

E.
The simplest fix is to use the old IMAC trick of reversing the servo arm. You can put a little bend in it to line it up with the horn. The length of the elevator pushrods will all but neutralize any effect on the elevator throws not being quite equal.

Regards,

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:54 AM
Joined May 2011
430 Posts
Eric..thanks for the post...After a couple of shots of Jack Daniels I was able to think clearly again and just what you were thinkin' too... mix it on my TX/RX..No problem!

Who said drinkin never solved anything'
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:22 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
976 Posts
Quote:
Eric..thanks for the post...After a couple of shots of Jack Daniels I was able to think clearly again and just what you were thinkin' too... mix it on my TX/RX..No problem!

Who said drinkin never solved anything'
To Alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems. (0 min 7 sec)
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2011
430 Posts
Has anyone bungee launched this plane? I am building a launcher and was wondering about the appropriate placement of the "tow hook" on the belly of the F-18. It looks to me, based on opinions from other pilots launching other planes, that the best location would be at the aft position of the front gear doors. I was thinking about mounting a hook where the front gear servo actually mounts to the plane. Any ideas, suggestions?

Reno
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2006
236 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone bungee launched this plane? I am building a launcher and was wondering about the appropriate placement of the "tow hook" on the belly of the F-18. It looks to me, based on opinions from other pilots launching other planes, that the best location would be at the aft position of the front gear doors. I was thinking about mounting a hook where the front gear servo actually mounts to the plane. Any ideas, suggestions?

Reno
I don't know about you but hand launching this plane is relatively easy and simple as opposed to some other models. Just use the main landing gear wheel wells as the "grip" since this part of the aircraft is balanced on your hand, making hand launches easy.

To answer your question anyways, I'd place the hook right between the mains.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined May 2011
430 Posts
I fly at a sod farm and hand launch all the time, or until my buddy assisted and threw my Diamond Back in the dirt. It hasn't recovered yet! Another pilot out here built a launcher for his flying wings and it was soo much easier. I was just going to tinker with the launcher and see how it went.

What I read is; the tow hook should be mounted approximately 1/2 way between the nose of the aircraft and the CG. Too far aft and the plane will either launch at too steep AOA or back flip violently. Too far forward and the plane will launch at too shallow of a AOA and be pulled downward, possibly into the dirt. It's easy for me to picture the ill effects of placing the hook in the wrong place. I was just trying to avoid the trial and error (reglue and start over) routine. Been there; done that!

Reno
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
236 Posts
Quote:
I fly at a sod farm and hand launch all the time, or until my buddy assisted and threw my Diamond Back in the dirt. It hasn't recovered yet! Another pilot out here built a launcher for his flying wings and it was soo much easier. I was just going to tinker with the launcher and see how it went.

What I read is; the tow hook should be mounted approximately 1/2 way between the nose of the aircraft and the CG. Too far aft and the plane will either launch at too steep AOA or back flip violently. Too far forward and the plane will launch at too shallow of a AOA and be pulled downward, possibly into the dirt. It's easy for me to picture the ill effects of placing the hook in the wrong place. I was just trying to avoid the trial and error (reglue and start over) routine. Been there; done that!

Reno
Aww man! Sorry to hear that. Had that happen to me before, which is why I hand launch my own airplanes from now on.

That's some new information for me since I've never bungee launched an airplane before. I guess somewhere right in the middle of the fuse would be a good start. Sorry for not being of much help.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined May 2011
430 Posts
No worries Roen. Building the launcher should be very simple. I have enough irrigation pvc pipe and fittings laying around. Proly take all of an hour or less to build. I'll experiment on hook placement and post results, if the plane survives

Roen, you must be a pretty good guy..rearrange the letters in your name and what do you get...RENO hahaha Sorry.. it's been a long day!

Reno
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by reno4sure; Mar 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:17 AM
Joined Oct 2006
236 Posts
Quote:
No worries Roen. Building the launcher should be very simple. I have enough irrigation pvc pipe and fittings laying around. Proly take all of an hour or less to build. I'll experiment on hook placement and post results, if the plane survives

Roen, you must be a pretty good guy..rearrange the letters in your name and what do you get...RENO hahaha Sorry.. it's been a long day!

Reno
Hahahaha you got me there! Thanks a lot and good luck with the project! I'd love to hear the results. Good flying!