HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2010
155 Posts
Discussion
triple diversity?

Is it possible to use 3 Oracle Video Diversity Controller together? I plan on going with a 2 frequency setup, most likely 900mhz and 2.4 ghz for video. I want to use 2 receivers for each frequency with a Oracle Video Diversity Controller for each, then another to switch between the 900mhz and 2.4ghz video. is it possible?
qstealth is offline Find More Posts by qstealth
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,047 Posts
Yes. Docphi ran a dual 2.4/5.8 setup with two yellowjackets feeding an oracle. It was awesome but complex to bring to the field. Now he runs a mondo stinger and is happy. Go figure. -Ken
kist2001 is online now Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Sep 26, 2010, 04:52 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
wouldnt triple diversity actually be "triversity"?

feel free to slap me.
aaron_gx is online now Find More Posts by aaron_gx
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:21 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
wouldnt triple diversity actually be "triversity"?

feel free to slap me.
Perhaps it's a travesty that's truthfully more than triple the trouble. Try it for a test. Ignore the triviality of this tedious trial of the T section of my Thesaurus.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:14 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,721 Posts
:d lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteschug View Post
perhaps it's a travesty that's truthfully more than triple the trouble. Try it for a test. Ignore the triviality of this tedious trial of the t section of my thesaurus.

Pete
Derek_S is online now Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:31 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Perhaps it's a travesty that's truthfully more than triple the trouble. Try it for a test. Ignore the triviality of this tedious trial of the T section of my Thesaurus.

Pete
True, true.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:16 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
Before doing triple diversity I'd opt for an antenna tracker. Much less complex and less to bring to the field. Plenty of them are available. I have a DIY unit I'm designing and there will be a how-to once I get it working. Anyone may copy it.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2010, 07:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Before doing triple diversity I'd opt for an antenna tracker. Much less complex and less to bring to the field. Plenty of them are available. I have a DIY unit I'm designing and there will be a how-to once I get it working. Anyone may copy it.

-Alex
why not both?
qstealth is offline Find More Posts by qstealth
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:23 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qstealth View Post
why not both?
whats the point of tracker+diversity? A tracker always points the antenna at the airplane.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:28 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,186 Posts
The tracker point at the plane, not the video antenna on the plane.Having to antennas on one receiver will give you better reception when the plane is banking. Simply install the antenna in V or L shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
whats the point of tracker+diversity? A tracker always points the antenna at the airplane.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:12 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
The tracker point at the plane, not the video antenna on the plane.Having to antennas on one receiver will give you better reception when the plane is banking. Simply install the antenna in V or L shape.
You are right!!! You'd need a patch horizontally polarized, and one vertically. Then you're set.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:13 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,186 Posts
Correct! On my ImmersionRC Duo2400 receiver I used a diversity 8dbi patch...so its 2 patch built in one, one horizontally polarized and one vertically.

Always have clean signal, no glitch or what so ever.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse