HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:35 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Oh c'mon, launching should be easy. Rev it to 3/4 throttle, then just throw it up at a 45..60 degree angle. It'll climb out giving you enough time to get your fingers on the sticks again. I launch 2kg FunJets that way and they are proverbial flying bricks untill they pick up enough speed for the airfoil to create some lift. Obviously in both cases you need a powerful motor which should provide more thrust than the AUW.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:38 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
you can't hold on to it once you've throttled up zephyr either needs to be launched with throttle off or the "ritewing way" as chris does it ... grab onto it at the front, rev up fully, and then chuck it backwards over your head. it works, but it's not something I like to do with a 4m antenna sticking out the back and zooming past a couple dozen potential "entanglements"
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:55 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
you can't hold on to it once you've throttled up zephyr either needs to be launched with throttle off or the "ritewing way" as chris does it ... grab onto it at the front, rev up fully, and then chuck it backwards over your head. it works, but it's not something I like to do with a 4m antenna sticking out the back and zooming past a couple dozen potential "entanglements"
Really? I launch 2kW FunJets that way, sure, it tucks at your hand, but you just need to grow some arm muscle. No really, it must be because of lack of places to grab a hold of. However if you make a handle at the bottom of the wing between the two wing halves (doubles as a landing skid) you should be fine.

I launched my (washes mouth with soap afterwards) Multiplex Xeno with a 900W setup like that without issue. It as three point under the main wing for you to stick your fingers into. Just needs a little effort and practice. My Xeno would also take off on its own by simply standing it upright on its wingtips

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:57 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Actually, I've launched my (promises to wash mouth with soap again after posting this) Xeno by doing a DLG type launch. Just grab one wingtip, spin your arm around and throw it upwards at an angle. Just don't have any cables connected to the groundstation, as that could get ugly (don't ask me how I know).

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:57 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
yeah, it's the lack of a handle, not the weight. I'm not going to add skids ... that's the first thing you'll be looking for in the dirt on a less than perfect landing maybe I can try the vertical launch you did with the xeno on the new zephyr. that would be awesome
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:34 AM
Joined Apr 2010
586 Posts
Do this

Swift Maxi vertical take off (0 min 9 sec)
hugy is online now Find More Posts by hugy
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:15 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugy View Post
Yeah, that's what I did with my (grows tired of washing his mouth) Xeno

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:17 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
if your plane takes off this fast, it's probably too light I've seen Zephyrs take off like that, but much slower. my current setup couldn't take off this way, not sure if the new one will.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:55 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
I have thought of doing something similar but having 4 rods that stick up keep the plane from torque rolling. A launch chute if you will.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:16 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,784 Posts
Some buildpix

Guys I added some here so its on the first page and easy to find.

See the links

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=13

VTO of a zeph at 1 min 50 or so

Parkfliers.org.nz members visit the SWMAC with their RC planes (6 min 30 sec)
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Last edited by klique; Jul 24, 2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:02 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,784 Posts
A blunt nosed zeph build thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1280624
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:12 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
added first set of pics and a short vid to the beginning of the thread. getting started today. now need to take a break until hobbyking ships the new batteries and until the engine arrives from USA.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:40 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
574 Posts
As ck has just posted, I'm starting a 60" blunt nose build. So what's this laminate stuff, and where do you get it? Is there a thread on how to use it, or is that what this thread is going to be for?
aero_k is offline Find More Posts by aero_k
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:44 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
the laminate can be bought from chris. there is a short thread on how to use it but I can't find it. the main purpose of this thread will be to introduce this method of building, though, as it is relatively new.

from what I see you will be using "riteweave" and some 3M90 for strenght. for a UAV, I suggest to cover the underside completely, but glass only 2 parts of the top of the wing: above the internal spars and along the wing spars. this will keep her light without sacrificing durability.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:52 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,784 Posts
Riteweave

Trappy use very minimal weave, use it over the spars and the other weak thin areas around ond over any lids.
Aero I just started using this method and it really works great while keeping weight down and adding tons of strength and durability

I can get you some Lam if you need some.

ck