3,564 Posts
New Product
E-Flite Rare Bear with AS3X Technology BNF Basic

Key Features

Easy to complete final assembly
Capable of 100+ MPH (161 KPH)* flight speeds
Two-piece, plug-in wing and stabilizer with carbon-fiber joiner tubes
Officially licensed design, as seen at the 2014 World Championship Air Races
Spektrum™ AR636A DSMX® 6-channel receiver (installed)
AS3X® technology delivers rock-solid handling
Powerful 15-Size, 1200Kv brushless motor (installed)
70-amp, switch-mode BEC, brushless ESC (installed)
Scale spinner with reinforced two-blade propeller (included)
4 Spektrum 16-gram metal gear servos (installed)
Reinforced, lightweight Z-Foam™ construction

Overview

What began in 1969 as a derelict wreck is currently the fastest straight-line piston-engine aircraft in the world with a record of 528.3 miles per hour. At 500 pounds lighter and 1000 horsepower stronger than a stock Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat, Race #77 is the crown jewel of the Lewis Air Legends collection. To this day, Rare Bear is a favorite to all except the competition.

The E-flite® Rare Bear radio control airplane delivers an exhilarating flight experience capable of 100+ MPH*, right out of the box. Like the full-size, this model has been outfitted with a highly-tuned, oversize power system and all unnecessary weight has been trimmed. This synergy maximizes high-speed thrills without sacrificing the super-friendly handling you expect from an E-flite model.

Beyond the engineering and reinforced Z-Foam™ construction, the Bind-N-Fly Basic version includes the specially tuned Spektrum™ AR636A 6-channel receiver. Built-in AS3X® technology delivers rock-solid control without equal. That’s because it fights the effects of wind and turbulence so all you experience is the kind of locked-in performance that makes flying flat-out more thrilling than ever.

Whether you’re an experienced racing pilot or an intermediate sport pilot who wants an incredible high-speed experience, the E-flite Rare Bear is ideal.

With the Rare Bear Bind-N-Fly® Basic airplane and your full range DSM2®/DSMX® aircraft transmitter, you can be flying in the time it takes to charge a battery (battery and charger sold separately). An evolution in ready-to-fly convenience, this Rare Bear aircraft comes out of the box with servos, power system and a Spektrum 2.4GHz DSMX receiver already installed. It’s simple, especially when you use the recommended E-flite 3300mAh 4S 14.8V 50C Li-Po battery (sold separately).

Capable of 100+ MPH Flight Speeds
Packed with a high-speed motor, robust ESC and a racing propeller, the highly tuned E-flite Rare Bear delivers incredible high-speed performance. Our average straight-line speed of 100+ MPH was achieved with a pre-production model with recommended battery.

Engineered with AS3X Technology
The advanced AS3X® (Artificial Stabilization – 3-aXis) system built into the Spektrum™ 6-channel AR636A receiver (BNF Basic Only) helps give the E-flite® Rare Bear an incredibly solid look and feel in the air.

Power System
The pre-installed brushless outrunner and 70-amp brushless ESC installed are matched to deliver 100+ MPH* flight speeds with the recommended 4S 14.8V 3300mAh 50C Li-Po battery.

Strong and Light
Specially reinforced Z-Foam™ construction makes it possible to replicate complex airframe detail and maintain rigidity while keeping flying weight low. Built into the structure is a scuff plate that helps protect the airframe during a belly-landing.

Metal Gear Servos
Factory installed Spektrum 16-gram metal gear micro servos deliver durability that’s smooth so you get the control authority a high-performance racer deserves.

Officially Licensed 2014 Colors
The stunning Rare Bear, Reno 2014 appearance is officially licensed by Lewis Air Legends of Reno, Nevada.

* Average straight-line speed of pre-production model with recommended battery. Actual speed may vary.

Product Specifications

Wingspan: 34.6 in (880mm)
Overall Length: 34.0 in (865mm)
Wing Area: 287 sq in (18.5 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 46.7 oz (1324g)
Motor Size: 15-Size Brushless 1200Kv
Radio: DX6 (minimum)
Prop Size: 8x8 Electric
Speed Control : 70-Amp (Included)
Recommended Battery: 3300mAh 4S 14.8V 50C LiPo
Flaps: No
Retracts: No
Approx. Flying Duration: 4 minutes
Experience Level: Advanced
Recommended Environment: Outdoor
Assembly Time: Less than 1 Hour
Is Assembly Required: Yes
Detailed Information

Video Overview

Rare Bear by E-flite® (2 min 22 sec)

An In-Depth Look at the Rare Bear by E-Flite® (6 min 29 sec)
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2015, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by flightpunch34
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
2,079 Posts
Saw this today,looks intresting,will be intresting to hear flight reports and how the servos hold up with AS3X doing those sort of speeds.
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by Shifteer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2013
250 Posts
I look forward to the inevitable warbird F8F paint mods and retract installs. Should be real pretty. As a primarily grass field flyer myself, i really appreciate the molded "handgrips" on the bottom.
Shifteer is offline Find More Posts by Shifteer
Old Jan 28, 2015, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by Leo L
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
There won't be any retracts, the wings are too thin. (This comes directly from HH.) But static landing gear is a definite possibility.

So the big question: is this a "warbird" or a "sport" plane. Chuck seems to go with Sport with this thread. Dave Eichstedt of Horizon Hobby posted on two warbird forums, listing this as the next HH warbird. What does everyone think?
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Jan 28, 2015, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by GBLynden
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifteer View Post
I look forward to the inevitable warbird F8F paint mods and retract installs. Should be real pretty. As a primarily grass field flyer myself, i really appreciate the molded "handgrips" on the bottom.
As someone who likes belly landing myself, that is a really cool feature. I just hope this isn't the only "Cat" they release this year as this just doesn't do anything for me as a plane, especially not as a $230 belly lander.

GB
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jan 28, 2015, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by matiac
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Key Features

Easy to complete final assembly
Capable of 100+ MPH (161 KPH)* flight speeds
Two-piece, plug-in wing and stabilizer with carbon-fiber joiner tubes
Officially licensed design, as seen at the 2014 World Championship Air Races
Spektrum™ AR636A DSMX® 6-channel receiver (installed)
AS3X® technology delivers rock-solid handling
Powerful 15-Size, 1200Kv brushless motor (installed)
70-amp, switch-mode BEC, brushless ESC (installed)
Scale spinner with reinforced two-blade propeller (included)
4 Spektrum 16-gram metal gear servos (installed)
Reinforced, lightweight Z-Foam™ construction

Overview

What began in 1969 as a derelict wreck is currently the fastest straight-line piston-engine aircraft in the world with a record of 528.3 miles per hour. At 500 pounds lighter and 1000 horsepower stronger than a stock Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat, Race #77 is the crown jewel of the Lewis Air Legends collection. To this day, Rare Bear is a favorite to all except the competition.

The E-flite® Rare Bear radio control airplane delivers an exhilarating flight experience capable of 100+ MPH*, right out of the box. Like the full-size, this model has been outfitted with a highly-tuned, oversize power system and all unnecessary weight has been trimmed. This synergy maximizes high-speed thrills without sacrificing the super-friendly handling you expect from an E-flite model.

Beyond the engineering and reinforced Z-Foam™ construction, the Bind-N-Fly Basic version includes the specially tuned Spektrum™ AR636A 6-channel receiver. Built-in AS3X® technology delivers rock-solid control without equal. That’s because it fights the effects of wind and turbulence so all you experience is the kind of locked-in performance that makes flying flat-out more thrilling than ever.

Whether you’re an experienced racing pilot or an intermediate sport pilot who wants an incredible high-speed experience, the E-flite Rare Bear is ideal.

With the Rare Bear Bind-N-Fly® Basic airplane and your full range DSM2®/DSMX® aircraft transmitter, you can be flying in the time it takes to charge a battery (battery and charger sold separately). An evolution in ready-to-fly convenience, this Rare Bear aircraft comes out of the box with servos, power system and a Spektrum 2.4GHz DSMX receiver already installed. It’s simple, especially when you use the recommended E-flite 3300mAh 4S 14.8V 50C Li-Po battery (sold separately).

Capable of 100+ MPH Flight Speeds
Packed with a high-speed motor, robust ESC and a racing propeller, the highly tuned E-flite Rare Bear delivers incredible high-speed performance. Our average straight-line speed of 100+ MPH was achieved with a pre-production model with recommended battery.

Engineered with AS3X Technology
The advanced AS3X® (Artificial Stabilization – 3-aXis) system built into the Spektrum™ 6-channel AR636A receiver (BNF Basic Only) helps give the E-flite® Rare Bear an incredibly solid look and feel in the air.

Power System
The pre-installed brushless outrunner and 70-amp brushless ESC installed are matched to deliver 100+ MPH* flight speeds with the recommended 4S 14.8V 3300mAh 50C Li-Po battery.

Strong and Light
Specially reinforced Z-Foam™ construction makes it possible to replicate complex airframe detail and maintain rigidity while keeping flying weight low. Built into the structure is a scuff plate that helps protect the airframe during a belly-landing.

Metal Gear Servos
Factory installed Spektrum 16-gram metal gear micro servos deliver durability that’s smooth so you get the control authority a high-performance racer deserves.

Officially Licensed 2014 Colors
The stunning Rare Bear, Reno 2014 appearance is officially licensed by Lewis Air Legends of Reno, Nevada.

* Average straight-line speed of pre-production model with recommended battery. Actual speed may vary.

Product Specifications

Wingspan: 34.6 in (880mm)
Overall Length: 34.0 in (865mm)
Wing Area: 287 sq in (18.5 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 46.7 oz (1324g)
Motor Size: 15-Size Brushless 1200Kv
Radio: DX6 (minimum)
Prop Size: 8x8 Electric
Speed Control : 70-Amp (Included)
Recommended Battery: 3300mAh 4S 14.8V 50C LiPo
Flaps: No
Retracts: No
Approx. Flying Duration: 4 minutes
Experience Level: Advanced
Recommended Environment: Outdoor
Assembly Time: Less than 1 Hour
Is Assembly Required: Yes
Detailed Information

Video Overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubgn9uWWYk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0XP6RHhPWY
I have GOT to get me one of THESE!!
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Jan 28, 2015, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by Vulgar Vulture
AMA 34191
Fayetteville, PA
Joined Dec 2002
257 Posts
Just now pre ordered the plug and play model and I don't even know when it comes out!
Vulgar Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulgar Vulture
Old Jan 28, 2015, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by Edge767
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,772 Posts
Interesting, but it doesn't entice me to part with my money the way this plane as a proper Navy Bearcat would have. I'm sure there are a lot of speed demons out there who are salivating for it, and that's cool. Horizon competitors have released Reno racing warbirds for a while now. It was only a matter of time.

I'm looking forward to the next warbird. Hopefully it's something more military.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2015, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by JohnVH
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
3,359 Posts
Cool video, too bad its a belly lander, wish it was the F8F Fighter, Id buy two!
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by rj2239
Joined Sep 2012
91 Posts
I'd love one, but I don't have any 4s. It's the same Wh as a 6s 2200 and everyone I know has a bunch of 3s 2200s lying around.
rj2239 is offline Find More Posts by rj2239
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:45 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj2239 View Post
I'd love one, but I don't have any 4s. It's the same Wh as a 6s 2200 and everyone I know has a bunch of 3s 2200s lying around.
That is another deal breaker for me too. Heck, with the short flight times, I would be better off to get an EDF jet if I were to upgrade to that level of battery.

I like planes I can fly using my 3S 2200's. Maybe someday, but not likely before this plane is discontinued.....
Old Jan 28, 2015, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L View Post
There won't be any retracts, the wings are too thin. (This comes directly from HH.) But static landing gear is a definite possibility.

So the big question: is this a "warbird" or a "sport" plane. Chuck seems to go with Sport with this thread. Dave Eichstedt of Horizon Hobby posted on two warbird forums, listing this as the next HH warbird. What does everyone think?
Leo when i saw this release last night at tea time i didn't know where to start the thread! My first thought was the sports section as IMHO this "IS" a sports plane, (Sorry Dave) as it is modified for Sports Flying, yes racing in the Reno Races, thats a sports plane. It has cut down wings and lots of other mods to make it a sports plane. The warbird section only entered my mind for a second or two, as this isn't a warbird in my books! So i settled on the Parkflyer section as it seems like where most like to have small, which this is! foam planes made for parkflying. Sort of a middle ground haha

personally i like the looks and idea behind this plane as i like going fast and a Reno Racer is a classic plane to own. I still have a F4U Corsair body and wings i bought 4 years ago to make into the red and white Reno Racer Corsair and never got round to Hope Mike gets a sample and i get a chance to review this one

cheers chuck

PS just checked the modelflight site and they too don't have this plane in the warbird section they have it in the scale section
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:21 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Leo when i saw this release last night at tea time i didn't know where to start the thread! My first thought was the sports section as IMHO this "IS" a sports plane, (Sorry Dave) as it is modified for Sports Flying, yes racing in the Reno Races, thats a sports plane. It has cut down wings and lots of other mods to make it a sports plane. The warbird section only entered my mind for a second or two, as this isn't a warbird in my books! So i settled on the Parkflyer section as it seems like where most like to have small, which this is! foam planes made for parkflying. Sort of a middle ground haha

personally i like the looks and idea behind this plane as i like going fast and a Reno Racer is a classic plane to own. I still have a F4U Corsair body and wings i bought 4 years ago to make into the red and white Reno Racer Corsair and never got round to Hope Mike gets a sample and i get a chance to review this one

cheers chuck

PS just checked the modelflight site and they too don't have this plane in the warbird section they have it in the scale section
Well said Chuck!

I too based on my posts earlier today and more thought since then view this only as a scale pylon racer. In no way is it a real Warbird the way it has been heavily modified.

Like Chuck, part of me wants to give it a go, but it is too rich for my review budget at this time as well as battery infrastructure.

GB
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,564 Posts
Yes i am lucky as i have a few 4s 3000-3300mAh batteries so would not have that problem, mind you mine are only 40c but should still work.

the cost here in Australia for this plane is $320 so you guys in the states shouldn't complain

cheers chuck
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by Justwingit
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, TX, Fort Bliss
Joined Apr 2012
5,899 Posts
Hey Chuck,

Great to see you back posting fairly regularly....I hope all is well with you and Corrine

I'm moving soon, but once I get settled (roughly the same time this is supposed to be released ) I'm having one...

That's ALOT of plane for $230.00 U.S.!

Cheers mate and happy landings !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member