SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2015, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by jhkiom
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
1,499 Posts
Looks a good starting point.

From the mounting picture, it looks like it clamped onto the tubes between the two plates?

Hard to see from the video but were you in follow mode on the gimbal?
jhkiom is offline Find More Posts by jhkiom
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 02:32 AM
Find More Posts by springbok3255
United Kingdom, England, Plymouth
Joined Mar 2013
80 Posts
Hi John.

Yes the gimbal is set to follow mode. I bought mine from Flying Tech in the UK.
It cost a bit more than from China, but they test and load there own profile to the gimbal before sending out.
I thought it was worth the extra to get from a UK company, and hopefully they will provide some tech support if needed as well.
http://www.flyingtech.co.uk/fpv-came...ushless-gimbal

As "Plan A" I did just wedge the gimbal between the old extension tubes.
I really just wanted to see if the spidex anti suppression system would work, and not really need the extra from the gimbal plates.
I had good results with the Spidex anti vibration system, after like most replacing the original foam washers.

I plan on replacing the original 8mm extension tubing for longer ones, and then clamp to the full length of the gimbal plates. See attached.
So the gimbal will not have any suppression, the spidex should take care of any vibrations. Famous last words :-)

Having my landing skids has helped me out, given clearance for the gimbal to hang down, and rotate freely, after a bit of modding of the landing skid attachment on the front :-)
I didn't want the gimbal too far out so placed it as close to the quad without touching and obviously so the yaw motor wouldn't foul.
The control board is a little close, I may move that off the gimbal plate and onto the extension tubing, a bit like the original 2 axis gimbal.

A lot more tinkering to do.
springbok3255 is online now Find More Posts by springbok3255
Old Mar 25, 2015, 05:26 AM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
1,499 Posts
Like you, I also continue to get good results from both the v2 & v3 suspension system, having changed the foam washers too.

Sounds like a good plan for the dys, and as you say UK support is Important.

I'm going to go with putting mine on the v3 as per the picture from the Q Facebook page.

They use both their own vibration & the dys!

Will post up whn I get it done, but too many projects too little time at the moment
Old Mar 29, 2015, 04:56 AM
Find More Posts by swallabat
My skylift broke AGAIN!!!
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Apr 2008
41 Posts
If anyone from quarternium follows this thread, please wake up and start giving some customer service. I bought a used spidex V2 before christmas, and initially I needed technical information and new foams, and NOT ONE of my emails was ever answered. Now I have the quad serviceable, and rather than flying it, I am considering whether to put it back on ebay whilst it is worth something and then replace it with a chinese copy because for the chinese stuff AT LEAST YOU CAN GET SPARES AND SUPPORT!!
swallabat is offline Find More Posts by swallabat
Old Mar 29, 2015, 06:55 AM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallabat View Post
If anyone from quarternium follows this thread, please wake up and start giving some customer service. I bought a used spidex V2 before christmas, and initially I needed technical information and new foams, and NOT ONE of my emails was ever answered. Now I have the quad serviceable, and rather than flying it, I am considering whether to put it back on ebay whilst it is worth something and then replace it with a chinese copy because for the chinese stuff AT LEAST YOU CAN GET SPARES AND SUPPORT!!
This was answered with as accurate info I could get in this post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1932

It's a pity but the basic design of the v2 is very good and spares or alternate parts can still be had.

There are still a good few of us flying Q' copters and I'm sure any technical queries you have can be answered by one or more of us so feel free to ask away.

The brushless gimbal on the v2 was a real game changer and there are guys who moved on from the Spidex only to come to regret that decision so you have not 'thrown' your money away but have to realise that there is no support imminent from Q right now.

I recently bought a HK XJ470 frame, is it as good for filming as my V2 - nope, so with a bit of tinkering your Spidex v2 should serve you well, such as changing the foam washers, (nothing wrong with the motor mounts).
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,915 Posts
Yeah I'm one of those regretting moving away from my Spidex. Shot some great video with it.

I do wish I could get one of their V3 frames and that 3axis adapter, that looks like a SWEET setup!

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:48 PM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
1,499 Posts
You Sure did Aero, yours and Tahiti Mikes were always a treat and they definitely showed off the Spidex at its best!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 03:28 PM
Joined Mar 2013
80 Posts
Well that was a busy few days
My new 8mm carbon extension tube turned up, so I could mount the DYS properly.

I thought, I know I'll do a quick refurb on the old girl whilst I am in the mood.....
- Stripped off the white nylon standoffs for the anti-vibration mount, painted black.
- GPS puck painted black.
- Replaced ESC red heat skrink with black.
- Heatshrinked the strobe navi LEDs with yes you guessed it, black.
- Wrapped the arms and top plate in carbon wrap.
- New foam for anti-vibration bushes.

- Installed DYS 3 axis gimbal. Mounted on the old stand offs that used to hold the 2 axis control board.
- Did the 6 axis calibration, horizon is more level now, still a bit of tuning to do.

- Spidex also has a new mate, little 250 quad. It came ARTF, added RX, Cam, VTX, LED's, lost model alarm and Loca8tor mini homing tag for good measure

I'll post some video up soon.

Cheers,

Grahame
Last edited by springbok3255; Apr 14, 2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by Buhwheat
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2014
146 Posts
Still looking for a v2 or v3 if there are any out there to be had ????
Buhwheat is online now Find More Posts by Buhwheat
Old Apr 14, 2015, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2013
80 Posts
Spdeix V2 - DYS 3 axis gimbal (1 min 36 sec)
Old Apr 14, 2015, 06:23 PM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok3255 View Post
Looks awesome, well done on the rebuild.

Had a bit of a crap time lately and not been able to get much done, my old staffie had congestive heart failure and we lost him today, a true best friend

For sure I'm going with this combo too. What wall thickness cf tubes did you get?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:56 PM
Joined Mar 2013
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkiom View Post
Looks awesome, well done on the rebuild.

Had a bit of a crap time lately and not been able to get much done, my old staffie had congestive heart failure and we lost him today, a true best friend

For sure I'm going with this combo too. What wall thickness cf tubes did you get?
Hi John,
Really sorry to hear about your staffie
It is a true saying that dog is a mans best friend.
Remember all the good times.

Wall thickness is only 1mm. I was a bit concerned, but it was the only 8mm diameter sized one I could find. It turned out OK when it arrived, nice and stiff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-3k-Roll.../351366582088?

I'm sure the stock picture on ebay isn't the actual one, as that looks really thin, maybe 0.5mm thickness, bu the specs say 1mm, and mine was 1mm.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 01:02 AM
Find More Posts by cruiser73
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkiom View Post
OMG! Am so sorry for your loss. I've grown up with dogs, had a few fur kids all my life. You grow so attached to them. Only pet lovers can understand, I think.
cruiser73 is offline Find More Posts by cruiser73
Old Apr 15, 2015, 05:03 AM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
1,499 Posts
Cheers guys, he really was a special guy and genuinely touched the lives of all who met him. He was always so active that congestive heart failure was just so unexpected.

Wall thickness of 1mm is good, I have some 0.5 in stock but I reckon they could suffer from resonance issues so will get some heavier tubes on the way. Mind you the originals are glass fibre I think?