Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by sboonjue
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelapaty View Post
Sam, welcome to the hobby. Let us know if you need help
I appreciate that! I also may need to take you up on that offer... Im waiting on a few final parts to come in and then I take on the "build" Im watching as many useful videos on youtube as I can find, although I still do not feel 100% about taking on the build myself... ANY tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. here are the specs on my very first RC anything build!

180mm Morphite Frame
Naze 32 FC
Lumenier Mini PDB
KISS 18a ESC
DYS 1806 2300kv motors

Turnigy 9xr
FrSky DJT Module, Frsky D4R-ii receiver

FPV: Sony 600tvl, Aomway 200mw, boscam diversity reciever.
*still looking for a used pair of Fatshark Dominator V2s....
sboonjue is offline Find More Posts by sboonjue
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2015, 05:31 AM
Find More Posts by soccerj4y
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Aug 2013
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sboonjue View Post
I appreciate that! I also may need to take you up on that offer... Im waiting on a few final parts to come in and then I take on the "build" Im watching as many useful videos on youtube as I can find, although I still do not feel 100% about taking on the build myself... ANY tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. here are the specs on my very first RC anything build!

180mm Morphite Frame
Naze 32 FC
Lumenier Mini PDB
KISS 18a ESC
DYS 1806 2300kv motors

Turnigy 9xr
FrSky DJT Module, Frsky D4R-ii receiver

FPV: Sony 600tvl, Aomway 200mw, boscam diversity reciever.
*still looking for a used pair of Fatshark Dominator V2s....
Wow jumping right up to a very nice setup!

You should be fine, be careful, take your time and if you want I bet anyone in here would be more than willing to give it one more look over when you're done just to he sure it's all good

Are you good with soldering? You'll have to solder the KISS and they are quite small so be very careful, too much heat or accidentally touching a component could burn it up

There are lots of good tutorials online, I really like rcmodelreviews and flitetest although I can't remember where I saw the naze32 setup video, start to finish
soccerj4y is offline Find More Posts by soccerj4y
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by Nelapaty
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerj4y View Post
Wow jumping right up to a very nice setup!

You should be fine, be careful, take your time and if you want I bet anyone in here would be more than willing to give it one more look over when you're done just to he sure it's all good

Are you good with soldering? You'll have to solder the KISS and they are quite small so be very careful, too much heat or accidentally touching a component could burn it up

There are lots of good tutorials online, I really like rcmodelreviews and flitetest although I can't remember where I saw the naze32 setup video, start to finish
yup agreed theres a lot of info online .
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Old Jul 19, 2015, 03:03 PM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
am I good with soldering.. that is the million dollar question! In short, never soldered in my life! BUT I am watching a lot of youtube on soldering so I do feel okay that I can do it correctly, I also ordered all the tools (variable temp soldering station, flux pen, tips, etc.) I found a pair of dominator v2 for $275 shipped, I figured its cheaper than buying new so I pulled the trigger on them!

Im off on Mondays, are any of you guys able to fly on Mondays? or even saturday and sunday mornings. With the heat I would prefer to be outside in the early morning or in early evening... OR is there a indoor place we can fly?!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by soccerj4y
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Aug 2013
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sboonjue View Post
am I good with soldering.. that is the million dollar question! In short, never soldered in my life! BUT I am watching a lot of youtube on soldering so I do feel okay that I can do it correctly, I also ordered all the tools (variable temp soldering station, flux pen, tips, etc.) I found a pair of dominator v2 for $275 shipped, I figured its cheaper than buying new so I pulled the trigger on them!

Im off on Mondays, are any of you guys able to fly on Mondays? or even saturday and sunday mornings. With the heat I would prefer to be outside in the early morning or in early evening... OR is there a indoor place we can fly?!
Can't help you with flying since I live in Chesapeake unless you wanna meetup at grassfield sometime near sunset or lunch or what not but DO NOT learn soldering on those KISS, you'll fry the heck out of them, get used to it with some simple wires, get a feel for how fast the solder heats up, if the pad isn't tinned, but a small amount of flux, not too much or you'll have problems, just grab a toothpick and apply a tiny amount to cover each pad, and a touch of the iron should get release smoke and prep the pad, if the solder doesn't stick quickly after that be careful and don't hold it on, I've done this as a noob mistake but I was lucky. Obviously helping hands are great but I don't have any so a heavy set of pliers to hold it in place and a set of nose pliers to hold the wire you're soldering on works just fine.

Any other questions feel free to ask, even just good links I've found on my own experience or pointers, lots to learn in this hobby and no one is ever done ;
soccerj4y is offline Find More Posts by soccerj4y
Old Jul 19, 2015, 09:01 PM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Luckliy the pads on the KISS esc are pre tinned, i should just have to tin the wires and then just touch the wire to pad with the iron and it should stick...hopefully...
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by Nelapaty
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,522 Posts
This is what I use..just slip some heavy duty heat shrink over the clips which will help from tearing into the board..

http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-60501.html
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Old Jul 21, 2015, 01:34 AM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelapaty View Post
This is what I use..just slip some heavy duty heat shrink over the clips which will help from tearing into the board..

http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-60501.html
thanks, thats exactly what I did with the helping hands I have!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by pylot2b
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
660 Posts
Haven't been on here in awhile and haven't flown in awhile! Too many hobbies and not enough time! Anyway I am liquidating alot of my rc plane hanger. Probably keep one or two if I ever get the itch again, I am posting a list of what I have and I will post pics and additional info for anyone interested.

Multiplex Tucan (never flown) Includes motor, esc, servos, and retracts (not installed) fixed gear at the moment. $150
WMPF Highlander w/floats (never flown) Includes motor, servos, esc, $100
Tomahawk Viperjet (flown) Includes EDFw/motor, servos, esc $100

I can throw in batteries for any of the above for additional cost. PM for any details.

Tyler
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old Jul 30, 2015, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by jbobsbbq
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Tucan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
Haven't been on here in awhile and haven't flown in awhile! Too many hobbies and not enough time! Anyway I am liquidating alot of my rc plane hanger. Probably keep one or two if I ever get the itch again, I am posting a list of what I have and I will post pics and additional info for anyone interested.

Multiplex Tucan (never flown) Includes motor, esc, servos, and retracts (not installed) fixed gear at the moment. $150
WMPF Highlander w/floats (never flown) Includes motor, servos, esc, $100
Tomahawk Viperjet (flown) Includes EDFw/motor, servos, esc $100

I can throw in batteries for any of the above for additional cost. PM for any details.

Tyler
I am interested in the Tucan, PMed

Jerry
jbobsbbq is offline Find More Posts by jbobsbbq
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:49 PM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Any of you guys do night flying? Also, If any of you fly on mondays let me know! I would love to fly with others as I am a noobie!
Old Aug 15, 2015, 05:41 AM
Find More Posts by David Fliesen
SunTzu
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2015
6 Posts
Hi. I am looking to fly this morning around 9 am at Three Oaks Elementary in Virginia Beach. I recently started with the Yuneec Q500 Typhoon 4K, which I purchased to startup an aerial imaging company. As a combat cameraman, I flew a good bit as an aerial photographer. So I am looking forward to returning to the skies this time with a quadcopter, and hope to meetup and learn from other local flyers.
David Fliesen is offline Find More Posts by David Fliesen
Old Aug 17, 2015, 07:28 AM
Joined Jun 2015
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fliesen View Post
Hi. I am looking to fly this morning around 9 am at Three Oaks Elementary in Virginia Beach. I recently started with the Yuneec Q500 Typhoon 4K, which I purchased to startup an aerial imaging company. As a combat cameraman, I flew a good bit as an aerial photographer. So I am looking forward to returning to the skies this time with a quadcopter, and hope to meetup and learn from other local flyers.
Are you able to fly every monday morning? If so next monday we should get a few together and fly! Anyone else able to fly monday mornings?