Old Apr 26, 2015, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by bpbat21
bpbat21
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2014
44 Posts
Discussion
.02 cents worth on your flight controller

Looking for a reliable flight controller. Was thinking about the A2...lots of money and no "follow me" feature. Can you even enter waypoints into it?

Just looking for some feed back from you guys...pros and cons ect...

I ve been using the Naza V2 and have been somewhat pleased. I m building a second and looking for a little more performance.

Thanks fellas
Ben
bpbat21 is offline Find More Posts by bpbat21
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2015, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,562 Posts
See next post.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; Apr 26, 2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 06:46 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,562 Posts
I recommend Pixhawk

I have been using autopilots/flight controllers for quite a few years and have tried most all of them. These days I have gone to Pixhawk autopilots on all my aircraft. For my long range aircraft I use the dual sensors for better accuracy and reliability. The Pixhawk support redundant GPS, magnetometers, gyros, and accelerometers. Dual gyros and accelerometers are built in and the others are external options.

The best thing about Pixhawk is it's open source hardware and firmware so you have more than manufacture to choose from. I have found some of the real cheap versions to be of lower quality. The ones from 3drobotics.com are the most expensive but they are the best. Unlike the low cost Chinese clones 3DR products have a warranty and excellent customer service.

Old Apr 26, 2015, 06:52 PM
bpbat21
Joined Mar 2014
44 Posts
Thanks RC.

I m looking to get into some longer range stuff. That seems to be the only thing to do out here in the desert.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by boogyman
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jun 2006
345 Posts
I like the eagle tree vector. It doesn't have "follow me" mode or autonomous mission flight like the pixhawk, but the configuration software is easy to use and it's about as plug-n-play as it gets for setting it up. It does support waypoints (just not autonomous). It also has return to home, loiter and some other nice features.
boogyman is offline Find More Posts by boogyman
Old Apr 27, 2015, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by v2rocketeer
Australia, NSW, Ingleburn
Joined Mar 2013
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbat21 View Post
I m building a second and looking for a little more performance.

Thanks fellas
Ben
Hi Ben

Some more info is really needed from you to answer this.

I assume some form a multirotor is your next build. If you're looking for all out performance as that is all you stated above I would look at the Naze32 board. A lot of the miniquad racers are using that one, myself included.

Chris
v2rocketeer is online now Find More Posts by v2rocketeer
Old Apr 27, 2015, 06:44 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
I like the eagle tree vector. It doesn't have "follow me" mode or autonomous mission flight like the pixhawk, but the configuration software is easy to use and it's about as plug-n-play as it gets for setting it up. It does support waypoints (just not autonomous). It also has return to home, loiter and some other nice features.
Does the ET offer redundant sensors? Thatís what you want for long missions.

Old Apr 27, 2015, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by boogyman
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jun 2006
345 Posts
I don't believe it has redundant sensors. I didn't factor that in - didn't think it was one of the OP's requirements.
boogyman is offline Find More Posts by boogyman
Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:03 PM
bpbat21
Joined Mar 2014
44 Posts
Reliable is a must...least likely to fly away. My next build is a quad...I ve got most of the pieces...just looking to see what FC would be best. I have a Zenmuse gimbal, that is why I was leaning toward the A2. I will have 1.3gh tx video on a dragon link radio. Thanks for all your inputs. I m still up in the air.