HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:35 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Yesterday, I'm sitting in Hale Center Theater in West Valley, waiting for the show to start, when I notice someone on the row in front of me watching a stunning HD aerial video on an Ipad. I think to myself, "That looks like FPV." I then recognize that the guy watching the video is Todd! Sweet coincidence.

Good to see you, Todd.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:01 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
You almost make it sound like you guys are cultured, sitting in a theater and all
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:11 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
... cultured, sitting in a theater and all
I left out the part where he leaned over and asked, "Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?"
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:05 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,847 Posts
Haha, Grey Poupon. I would definitely have said something like that.

Great show actually. Sound of Music performed live was pretty incredible. I loved when they turned out the lights and drove that German WWII era motorcycle with the side car, two Nazi soldiers with guns aboard, through the theater. The red nazi flags flying with spotlights and the music, it was awesome. The whole show was pretty dang cool.

Nice to see you Cliff. Looks like a nice family you have there. Glad to know I'm not the only guy who loves the theater!

I'll admit, I enjoy taking my iPad with me to watch FPV movies while I'm waiting for things.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:08 AM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Here's some footage I got this weekend in Moab with my deep reaper. I'm still getting use to it so bare with me until I get better

Moab Utah Aerial footage (6 min 3 sec)
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:52 AM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/faa-...omestic-drones
seearestacey is offline Find More Posts by seearestacey
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:52 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,052 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808...4&cmd=ViewItem

The new V2 will record and can be set up as the live HD camera on FPV.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:17 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seearestacey View Post
Are you kidding me, What a cool plane

m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:43 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,372 Posts
I can't wait for tonight.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:37 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,372 Posts
DJI f550 hexacopter_LED maiden (1 min 39 sec)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:27 PM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
379 Posts
Hey all,

Well, I'm going to take the LRS plunge. I'm curious, what is everyone using here, and what has been your experience with it? I'm leaning toward DragonLink, but would like to find out if getting a Thomas LRS or EzUHF is worth the extra money.

-Steve
KatanaGuy is offline Find More Posts by KatanaGuy
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:57 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,847 Posts
TLRS, EzUHF, and DragonLink are all good systems, but if you get TLRS or EzUHF, you probably won't be able to fly with DL pilots in the area.

I've tried flying with EzUHF guys and those systems are extremely noisy, creating a ton of interference in the UHF band.

I'd just go with DL because everybody locally is using it. We'll all be compatible and won't interfere with each other. Plus, it integrates seamlessly with the DOSD so you can get return to home and all the fancy heads up display tech.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:01 AM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
379 Posts
How exactly does the Rx interact with the OSD? Merely for reporting RSSI, or is there more involved? I know that Pin 9 on the DL Rx is the PPM sum out (Correct?), which helps control an OSD, what else in involved with the OSD?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:03 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,372 Posts
Here's my $.02

I use Chainlink, not chainlink dare. I am happy with it, however I had to use a low pass filter on the transmitter because it bleeds into my 1280 mhz video, and ground station.

Lynn and Bruce use dragonlink. Lynn runs 900 Mhz, and has no problems at all.
Bruce runs 1280mhz and has complete video failure by getting too close to the ground station. With a Low pass filter it is much better, but still has issues.

Brad runs RangeLink, and is happy with it. he runs 5.8, so I couldn't tell you about 1280 bleedover, but it is designed by Sid, who designed chainlink.

Nate runs EZUhf, and is real happy with it. He runs 2.4, so there again, I couldn't tell you about bleedover on the 1280 Mhz, but If I had the money, and was looking for a good LRS, this is the one that I would most entertain...

Please don't just take my opinion, do your homework, and I would like to know what influences you to make your final decision.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaGuy View Post
Hey all,

Well, I'm going to take the LRS plunge. I'm curious, what is everyone using here, and what has been your experience with it? I'm leaning toward DragonLink, but would like to find out if getting a Thomas LRS or EzUHF is worth the extra money.

-Steve
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:22 AM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
379 Posts
Well, honestly, what influences my decision the most is hackability. Being an EE student, I'm pretty guilty of taking every single electronic thing I've got apart and sniffing the signals that shoot around inside of them with my logic analyzer. I'm interested in seeing exactly what RF modules the various LRS systems use, as in: Are the designers using a custom made RF front end with, like, Skyworks ICs; or are they using a pre-built solution like a Hope RF module? What is the packet format and data rate the designer is using? Do they use forward error correction, and if so, what is the algorithm. Can I flash the microcontroller in there with my own firmware, is the firmware locked down, or can I read it off and reverse-engineer it?

I guess more generally, I'm interested in if I can make my own OSD interface with whatever the LRS system has available. Can you make your own OSD for Dragon Link instead of having to buy the DragonOSD? Which LRS system allows me to extensively modify the firmware, or get lower level access to the system?