HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:52 PM
United States, NY, Angola
Joined Jul 2010
304 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 30cc cracked cylinder

I have a Turnigy 30cc gas engine. It's actually Not a 30cc. It's a 26cc gas engine. Here's the link to the engine I have.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arburetor.html

I lost all compression on it the other day while flying. It dead sticked. No big deal I landed it. But when I went to see what was up I couldn't restart it. Totally lost compression. I got it home and noticed when I turned it over I could hear and feel air coming out of the top back of the cylinder. So there's a crack in the cylinder. Hobby king has no cylinders in stock. But I see they have a cylinder for an XY engine and I read they were the same. But I have not read about anyone using it. With a turnigy engine. Just that the same company makes them or made them. It looks identical to the turnigy engines cylinder. Here's a link to the cylinder for the turnigy engine.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...cc_Engine.html

Here's a link to the XY engines cylinder.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...c_C_spec_.html

Now I hate to just buy it and find out it won't work with this engine. Does any know or has anyone tried this cylinder with the turnigy engine and got it to work? Or does any one know where I can get a new cylinder for this engine. I know it's not a top if the line engine. I got it for $30 off of one of the guys at the club I belong to. I've got allot of run time on this engine. It doesn't owe me a thing but I'd like to get it running again if I can.

Or can this cylinder be welded? Just throwing that out there. Looks like it would be tough to even get too. It's at the top between the cooling fins.
Ghost Plane is online now Find More Posts by Ghost Plane
Last edited by Ghost Plane; Aug 29, 2014 at 05:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:09 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,869 Posts
I don't know about that XY cylinder, it shows it uses four bolts to attach the cylinder to the crankcase, but the Turnigy cylinder shows only two bolts for attaching the cylinder. Maybe one can ignore the two extra holes in the cylinder and maybe not.

Unfortunately, normally they don't weld the cylinders. But maybe you could weld it, but it depends on where the crack is. if the crack penetrates the cylinder wall on the inside, then it is a goner. But if the crack is on a port or top of the head, it might be weldable. You would need to check with a welder and see what they think.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:33 PM
Joined Jul 2010
304 Posts
Good catch with the four bolts. I never noticed that. Yeah the crack is at the top. Right where it starts to round out for the dome part of the cyclindar. I'm just gonna have to wait and hope hobbyking actually gets in spare parts for it. I'm gonna email them and see if they have an idea if when they might be getting some. If not I'll have to but a new engine.

I have this engine mounted to the bigger escapade. The .60-.90 sized one. It's a real bullet in the air. Super fast. Flys awesome. Funny thing is, is that after I mounted it to this plane. I figured I was gonna have to add tail weight to balance it. But it was perfect. Didn't need an oz. I actually measured twice thinking I measured the balance point wrong.

Thanks for the help. If anyone knows a source of parts. Please let me know. I'm sure I'm not alone. Kinda sucks having an engine with no way to get parts. It only cost me $30 from a buddy of mine. I would never have bought this thing brand new. Not being able to get parts.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 06:02 AM
no no no, a music gig
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,605 Posts
I saw this in the review comments, did you miss it ?

Fernando 7 points - 7/15/2014

this is exactly the same cylinder of HPI baja engine, 26cc, 29cc and 30,5cc available
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:33 PM
Joined Jul 2010
304 Posts
Yeah I seen that too. But couldn't find it. I'm still looking into that lead.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 02:09 PM
no no no, a music gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,605 Posts
I'm also thinking, if the head is cracked, the piston or anything in the exhaust exit path could have erosion . Sounds like it may have been running much too lean.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:15 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,004 Posts
My guess is welding the cylinder will distort it enough that it will not run correctly. Now with that said, I know some "trashed" snowmobile and motor cycle 2C cylinder will get welded to repair a score in the cylinder wall. They get rebored and replated with nikasil. The welding and replating process runs about $250+ for a single cylinder

http://www.usnicom.com/

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:24 PM
no no no, a music gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,605 Posts
Couldn't be all that bad to try. Some TIG welder would probably be proud to save the cylinder and put it back to work. That's what welders like to do. It might work. At least you tried. But before spending any more on the motor, I'd have a look inside to see if parts of it got melted and went bye bye through the muffler.
Last edited by Chophop; Aug 31, 2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 11:12 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,869 Posts
I would give a welder a shot at it, it can't make it any more worse than it already is, and you could be rewarded with a running engine too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2014, 04:09 PM
Joined Jul 2010
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
I'm also thinking, if the head is cracked, the piston or anything in the exhaust exit path could have erosion . Sounds like it may have been running much too lean.
Looking at the plug it doesn't appear to have been running lean. That's not to say it couldn't have been. Tough to tell now when it doesnt even run now. Lol. But the plug is a nice brownish color. Not too light or white. If anything it might even have been a little on the rich side. Funny thing is, I just ordered up a TM1000 for my dx7s and I was gonna put the temp probe on the cyclindar to see how hot it was getting. We'll never know. I do know this engine was in a crash before I bought it. But it was put into another plane and flow for another season. Then sold to me.

It just cracked. No pieces came loose and went out the exhaust from what I can see. There's no abnormal wear in the cylindar or any gouges from anything coming off.

I got a buddy with a TIG welder and I'm gonna try and get it welded up. I'm still gonna buy a new cylinder once I can. Cause I got a feeling it'll crack again. But I'm got try to get it running while I wait for a new one.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:19 PM
Joined Jul 2010
304 Posts
I think I found a new cylinder. I was investigating that HPI Baja engine lead and found this.
http://www.engagerc.com/servlet/the-...ylinder/Detail

The only thing that appears different is the round mounts that are on the side of the cylinder. But from pictures I seen those are for a heat shield of sorts. The original cylinder has them too but the are flush with the cooling fins. Gonna give this cylinder a try and see what happens. Looks like it'll work. Thought I'd post here first before pulling the trigger. See what you guys thought about it.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:25 PM
Joined Jul 2010
304 Posts
Omg I just looked to see what shipping cost. $23.57 for shipping. WOW and no garrentee it'll work. Maybe not.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 06:43 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,869 Posts
That cylinder does look most promising. The two mount holes are on the Turnigy cylinder too. The pics of both the Turnigy and that cylinder match up pretty well too. They just paint the cylinder using gloss black paint (it probably flakes off in short order anyway). I think with that type of engine, they all used the same bore, it was the stroke that was different. So it does look like it ought to work. Yeah shipping from China is not cheap. But it does seem quite reasonable at $23 though. it isn't like you could throw it into a padded mailer to send. Hopefully they pack it into the box really well. I think that Hobby King's shipping cost is about the same too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2014, 09:36 AM
Joined Jul 2010
304 Posts
From what thier site says they have a warehouse here in California. I don't know if this cylinder is in the US. It very well could be in china. I checked the shipping from hibbyking the other day for the cylinder and it was $9.99. I sent out an email to engageRC and asked if thier cylinder would work. They got back to me real quick. They won't say one way or the other if it'll work or not. I guess I might give it a try. I'm not gonna cry over shipping cost. Its better then having a plane sit or buying a whole new engine.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 09:44 AM
Joined Jul 2010
304 Posts
Just for giggles I checked eBay and found a cylinder. Shipping is like $8 on them too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/26cc-Zenoah-...item3f26de0a62