SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:31 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,616 Posts
New Product
New Edge ESC

At the AMA Expo CC was showing the new Edge ESC. Did anyone get any photos or details?

I did a Google and got nothing.

I checked castlecreations.com news page and the last update was over two years old. Come on CC how about keeping things up to date.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:31 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,344 Posts
First units are to be heading out in 2-3 weeks according to what I was told. Pricing and general specs are similar to the ICE but they do have a number of additional features for helicopters as well as data access. They also have better protection from motor faults and locked rotors.

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:22 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,219 Posts
If they have the ability to log BEC-output voltage and amperage, in addition to the usual stuff, that would be great. Could answer a lot of questions about how many amps servos XYZ draw in flight, and how close you are to the BEC limits. Hopefully it will have BEC of the caliber of the Talon one.

More logging storage capacity would be great as well, along with the ability to automatically delete the old logs, so we don't have to manually delete them continuously.

Active freewheeling would also be nice. And I'd appreciate the ability to delay the return to Soft Start until it sees 0% throttle for, say, 2 seconds. So that if you touch 0% during flight (flipping in Normal vs IU, dropping the stick too far when landing in Normal, etc), you aren't doomed to lose power for several seconds (crash) during Soft Start.

The product is already done, of course, but we can all hope it meets our personal wishlists
RedOctobyr is offline Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:06 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,616 Posts
I agree BEC logging is the most important improvement that they could make.

The Talon has some serious problems with he BEC. Mainly due to having cow current connectors and only one connector. Also it only has two voltages. I sure hope the BEC is much better than the one on the Talon.

I wonder what sizes will be available?

Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:27 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,219 Posts
Sorry, good points on the Talon. I was just thinking of the amperage rating of the Talon's BEC (much more reassuring these days than 3A/5A). I do like the fine adjustment of the Ice's BEC voltage, though.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:56 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Sorry, good points on the Talon. I was just thinking of the amperage rating of the Talon's BEC (much more reassuring these days than 3A/5A). I do like the fine adjustment of the Ice's BEC voltage, though.
I see from the latest magazine adds that CC is now advertising the Talon as having a 9A BEC. Even with the new rating I donít think that connector can handle 9 amps continuous. I wonder if anyone has bench tested this as sometimes advertising claims donít match reality.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:18 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,219 Posts
From Castle's site, it's listed as 20A peak, 9A continuous. Maybe they're just referring to the continuous number? But from what I've heard, servo connectors are not rated for this current, I think I've seen 5A. But if you expected to pull a lot of BEC current, I suppose you could solder on a second parallel set of leads. Would be nice if you didn't have to that yourself, but it's an option, at least.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:13 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,616 Posts
Looks like the ICE is dead.

The new EDGE has all sizes of LV and HV.
http://www.castlecreations.com/media...kits/edge.html
http://www.castlecreations.com/media...ts/edgehv.html

Last edited by RC Man; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:15 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,616 Posts
Glad to see that they kept the wires on the motor end. I think that they realized putting connectors on the Talon was a mistake.
Last edited by RC Man; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:26 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,616 Posts
Notice that they all have dual receiver connectors – I wonder what that’s all about. I was unable to find any specifications. Hopeful CC will soon post them in their products section.

Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:37 PM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Notice that they all have dual receiver connectors Ė I wonder what thatís all about. I was unable to find any specifications. Hopeful CC will soon post them in their products section.

I guess it is a RPM sensor for Vbar gov.

hugo
Hugeone is online now Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:32 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone View Post
I guess it is a RPM sensor for Vbar gov.

hugo
I downloaded the media kit, hoping it would show specs. It does not. But the non-HV versions *all* show a 5A BEC on their case stickers. Even the 200A version Those ones are all 8S. The HV versions show 12S, and do not show anything for a BEC.

The second servo connector just has a single white wire. So presumably it's for a sensor. There are 4 wires going along next to each other, 3 go to plug A, and 1 goes to plug B.

Presumably these will be more expensive than the Talon. So it's disappointing they got a BEC with a lower current rating.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:06 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I downloaded the media kit, hoping it would show specs. It does not. But the non-HV versions *all* show a 5A BEC on their case stickers. Even the 200A version Those ones are all 8S. The HV versions show 12S, and do not show anything for a BEC.

5A is all that a single connector can handle anyway so in reality itís about the same as the Talon. Most of us use a separate BEC with two heavy-duty wires or a 2s LiPo so it doesnít make that much difference.

What I want to see is a comparison of the differences between the ICE and Edge.

Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:27 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,219 Posts
True. Though if you just had an occasional brief current spike, like 8A, an "under-spec'd" connector (single servo plug) would still pass the current, you'd just get a bigger voltage drop, and some heat. But at least you wouldn't smoke the BEC/ESC & crash. That's more of my concern, rather than warm servo connectors. I can add another connector if I need to, like the Talon's situation

For smaller helis, like my 450, I'd prefer to simply use the internal BEC, if possible. I used an external one for a while, and I liked the added security (if my ESC fails, I'll at least maintain control), but the extra weight & wiring on a small machine was a drawback. With the servos I'm using, there have been suggestions that the Ice BECs are insufficient, though fortunately I haven't had problems yet. But I wouldn't mind a little more BEC capacity.

Though if the Edge has BEC logging, maybe we can finally find out how much of a load is on the BEC during hard flying. Maybe it's still within the rated limits.

I'm looking forward to the Ice/Edge comparison. And pricing, of course.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:37 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,616 Posts
Does anyone know if the HV version has an anti-spark circuit?