HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:56 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,329 Posts
the thing with futaba is they never use their customers as beta testers, even as a hitec loyalist i know there is still bugs with my radio, luckily one of those is not the strength of my control link (unfortunately strength does not equal speed)

The thing you have to remember/know about futaba is they have been doing 2.4ghz radio control longer than anyone else in the hobby market simply because they were using it in the industrial heavy equipment arena back in the 90's.

That being said i think there is a good reason JR is jumping ship on spektrum and going over to their own DMSS protocol for a radio link, not just because they want to.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:38 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
That being said i think there is a good reason JR is jumping ship on spektrum and going over to their own DMSS protocol for a radio link, not just because they want to.
No point trying to convince you that DSMX is as good or better than others but in any case I'm sure JR is jumping mainly due to money. They don't want to keep paying Spektrum a licensing fee.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:25 AM
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2004
855 Posts
I'm sorry Bradley that we hijacked your for sale thread. Have you tried posting your radio in the regular classifieds?

-Chris
Khosravi is offline Find More Posts by Khosravi
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:50 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,381 Posts
I dont mind at all; it certainly got a lot of Atlanta folks looking at my sale! I am going to put it in the main classified threads once the 14sg is available. I am considering putting it up earlier, maybe a week before Xmas...

its a double edge sword, I think sale would be easiest before Xmas; but at the same time I am trying to minimize my downtime without a radio so I would like to put it up as late as possible...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:59 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
No point trying to convince you that DSMX is as good or better than others but in any case I'm sure JR is jumping mainly due to money. They don't want to keep paying Spektrum a licensing fee.
I am still trying to figure out how Futaba plays games, how their protocols screw people, and how they "screw customers when it suits them." Without any supportive arguments, it is difficult to see how your accusations can hold any water.

Simply the fact that they do not use customers as beta testers is not a big deal; there has to be more to support what RP said and I would still be delighted to understand how he came to this conclusion.

RP~ I am not looking for a big essay answer here, but you either read something, heard something, or have experienced it yourself. I am just looking to find out what formulated your opinion. It doesn't bother me much that the thread was taken off topic, but if it is taken off topic to talk trash about the item being listed for sale, then you really should be able to back up your comments...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bsbauman; Dec 08, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:05 AM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,240 Posts
I think I'll add my opinion to the mix....

Fly more, talk less
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:23 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,555 Posts
I'm thinking of doing a parody song called 'shut up and fly'
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:28 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
I think I'll add my opinion to the mix....

Fly more, talk less
LOL, I just think if one is going to talk trash of a product being sold by another person; it would only make sense that he has some information or data to support his argument....

Im trying to give him the opportunity to support his position; but without further input it only appears he is stirring the pot and does not have a foundation for his comments.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:23 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,203 Posts
Russ and I were flying this morning and one of the club members lost his 30CC plane - he lost all control and the plane went straight in. When we got to the wreckage his spectrum RX was blinking and the plane was a total loss with only 10 flights.

I don't care what radio people use as long as your having fun. But for me I've seen way to many spectrum controlled planes lose control and crash to ever want to fly anything but Futaba.
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:35 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
I don't care what radio people use as long as your having fun..
In that regard, I totally agree; people can select an RF link for all I care- I'm going to fly

...but as I am about to drop coin on the Futaba SG, it would be nice to know what protocols, games and screwing of customers that he is referring to.

Doubtful it will change my mind about my purchase, but I would rather support companies that have good business practices.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,329 Posts
Listening to the RcTodayShow podcast last night hobbico said the 14sg should be here BEFORE christmas. Futaba decided to air ship them since there were so many preorders
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:31 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,758 Posts
14sg is of interest for sure. Sounds like a great radio.

As for Futaba hosing it's customers on occasion also the only thing I'll say on that is go listen to Daniel of ATTF podcast about a year or so ago talk about the dumb things Futaba was doing. He's a big Futaba fanboy but was not impressed. Can't remember the details but it was something about non-compatible receivers and fracturing their market and some other crap they were doing. He was not impressed and I can't blame him. Oh well, though, they all work (including Spektrum despite your hating). I also think the Airtronics radio seems like an incredible deal, although I don't know much about their receivers.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
14sg is of interest for sure. Sounds like a great radio.

As for Futaba hosing it's customers on occasion also the only thing I'll say on that is go listen to Daniel of ATTF podcast about a year or so ago talk about the dumb things Futaba was doing. He's a big Futaba fanboy but was not impressed. Can't remember the details but it was something about non-compatible receivers and fracturing their market and some other crap they were doing. He was not impressed and I can't blame him. Oh well, though, they all work (including Spektrum despite your hating). I also think the Airtronics radio seems like an incredible deal, although I don't know much about their receivers.
ohh your talking about the fhss, fasst and now the fasstest protocol receivers, They introduced the fhss stuff as a cheap alternative to the fasst stuff on their lower end transmitters and some of the 8fg and higher end TX owners were upset because their stuff was only compatible with the more expensive fasst receivers. The new 14sg is compatible with all three protocols so they fixed that issue
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:41 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,203 Posts
I say control line is the way to go - totally connected to your plane and no brown outs.
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:27 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
I say control line is the way to go - totally connected to your plane and no brown outs.
That's for sure. Might be a dizzy brounouts though.