SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:37 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
Question
Flight logging

hey guys I've done plenty of RC sailplane flying, and FS sailplane flying but never XC RC soaring; so I am wondering what exactly you are wanting to log.

There are a few questions I'd like to ask as well, like are you logging for the sake of using it to navigate during the flight, or after the flight to show a flight log of where you went? (altitude, vario, course, speed, etc)

I have seen some telemetry varios but do they also record other parameters?

how big are the units that ride in the sailplane? what is their weight and cost?

I am interested to compare the simple system I use in FS and what you guys use for RC XC
jzanutto is offline Find More Posts by jzanutto
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
First, not all XC pilots have data loggers.
For those that do, the most popular reasons are :

1. Some contests are scored with software based on the data file from your flight. This simplifies running the contest and the data created is fun to discuss/compare afterwards.

2. To review the flight afterward to see if a different tactic may have improved the flight or to keep as a keep sake to remember the flight.

3. A real-time data stream downlink to a suitable receiving device for the pilot has been discussed here, created, and used as an aid to navigating routes and turnpoints but isn't widely used in contests as of yet.

Sizes vary, but in general, they are small enough to be hidden inside your closed hand and fit inside an XC fuselage.

Mike
ThermalSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:42 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
ok thanks Mike.

Like I said I've never flown XC in RC soaring. But I have in FS sailplanes and I wanted to let everyone know that there is a cheap method of flight logging. The loggers that I looked up for RC seemed to be pretty expensive so I wanted to share a cheaper method.

You can use any modern cellphone that has GPS in it, and install a free program called XCsoar. FS ships use it as a moving map GPS and it calculates glide angles and which airports you can make it safely to, etc. It has a lot of capabilities but they dont need to be used for an RC glider.

Afterwards the flight is logged and you download the file you can upload it to the online contest site (OLC). OLC has an RC section where you can compare your flight to others worldwide and get ranked by points.

The other cool thing is that your flight gets posted in 2 formats. A top view showing your flight path and another chart-like side view that you can scroll across and it shows the data as you scroll. The data is such as altitude, speed, rate of climb, distance traveled and more. There is also a google earth add-on that will show the flight on google earth and even let you re-fly your flight from a cockpit view.

The hard part is you have to find a place to stick a cell phone or very small GPS device into your plane or wing. I'd like to see someone try it and see how it works for them.

the website for the software is XCsoar.org and the logging website is onlinecontest.org

I have posted the maps on another thread but I will re post here so you can see what the log maps look like
Last edited by jzanutto; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:48 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
these are the 2 OLC maps:

on the bottom map, if you scroll your mouse across it, the values in the data fields change to show your altitude, rate of climb, speed, etc. There is an arrow on the top map that moves with your mouse scroll on the bottom. So you can tell at which point of the flight the data is referring to
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
the google earth view looks like this:

this is all free, you just need your GPS equipped cell phone