Old Aug 25, 2014, 05:04 PM
The Dreamer
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2010
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parasab View Post
Well now it all starts making sense...

My greatest problem was to understand the relation of toneFreq and ddsAcc as means of producing the sound. Most other vario codes (mostly for BMP085 sensor) translate vertical speed to sound through a series of calculations so it was easier to customize them just by changing xxx m/s values in the code.

Rolf's code is a lot more sophisticated for begginers..!

Thanks for your knowledge and time.
My head hurts trying to get on top of this. Could you post your final code so that I can try it. And maybe point out which variables I can experiment with.

Much appreciated if you can do this. Thanks
Pisces is offline Find More Posts by Pisces
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:43 AM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Aug 2010
172 Posts
My "final" code has not been wrtten! I am undecided on the method to differntiate the pressure signal to a rate of climb. I have used the Rolf method as described in this thread but it is a bit obscure to my thick head and I found it a bit noisey and difficult to calibrate. The openxvario method is easier to understand and produces less noise but it proved unstable in my application and this resulted in a complete loss of vario and altitude information. I think the code would get stuck in a loop. I am still running the code that I posted but that has no provision for generating the vario signal and the sound on the same arduino. It is set up for airborne signal generation and sound generation on the ground.

Some background, how I see the KK (Rolf's) code working.

The time is devided by polling milliseconds to provide a 20ms period.
Evey 20 ms the code measures pressue.
Every 20 ms it also maintans two low pass filters, a fast and a slow one.
The difference between these two filters is the diffentiated pressure signal, the rate of climb.
The rate of climb signal is converted into the tonefreq variable and range is limited.
The ddAcc variable is a summation of the tonefreq variable and it overflows and rolls over to produce a positive and negative oscillator.
Pitch is determined by tonefreq and the tone is pulsed using the state of both tonefreq and ddAcc with if statements.
rrcdoug is online now Find More Posts by rrcdoug
Old Sep 04, 2014, 05:37 PM
Brazil, São Paulo, Santana de Parnaíba
Joined Nov 2008
126 Posts
I think you made it perfectly clear.
What remains obscure?
Do you get a nicer beep with the openXvario?
vonkross is offline Find More Posts by vonkross
Old Sep 08, 2014, 11:23 PM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Aug 2010
172 Posts
I haven' t tried the audio options with openxvario. I have just used it as a vario module for the Taranis. I just had a peek at the openXvario code and I don't think it has an option for generating sound. It does have an analog PPM output for the rate of climb but this would be a voltage that varied with the climb rate for use with FrSky AD1.

My problem with the openXvario code was it was unstable on my hardware. It would lock up and stop sending data until rebooted. This seemed to happen very early in launch, but the same hardware running my version of Rolf's code runs fine.
rrcdoug is online now Find More Posts by rrcdoug
Last edited by rrcdoug; Sep 08, 2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling