SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:12 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,015 Posts
Discussion
Radio Shack Off Roader

Hi All,

I have fond memories of this truck from when I was a kid, since it was my first RC. If anyone has one kicking around collecting dust I would love to buy it off you! Doesn't have to have a remote or anything; my plan is to replace the original running gear with hobby grade battery, ESC, and servo.

Anyone else have fond memories of their first childhood RC?
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:46 PM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
i have one that i have modded to run on hobby grade gear. it is pretty easy to do too. i see them on ebay quite often if that is an option
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:57 AM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieslinger View Post
i have one that i have modded to run on hobby grade gear. it is pretty easy to do too. i see them on ebay quite often if that is an option
Yea I already converted a radio shack jumbo van to hobby grade for a friend, now just want one of these for myself.

I have been looking on eBay and Craigslist, but the ones on eBay either go for way more than I'm willing to pay, or I get outbid at the last second. No luck on Craigslist yet.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
ya it seems like your not the only one looking for this truck. ive seen them go for over 100 bucks a few times on ebay. your best bet is to find one without the controller cause it will be cheaper, but i would be prepared to pay around 50 bucks or so with shipping

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-RADIO...item23188471a8

theres a fixer-upper
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieslinger View Post
ya it seems like your not the only one looking for this truck. ive seen them go for over 100 bucks a few times on ebay. your best bet is to find one without the controller cause it will be cheaper, but i would be prepared to pay around 50 bucks or so with shipping

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-RADIO...item23188471a8

theres a fixer-upper
Thanks, added that to my watch list with the other 3 that aren't horribly overpriced (yet.) I see one on there that is Buy it Now for $200! There is also a new old stock one that I'm sure will fetch a good chunk of money since it and the box are in perfect shape.

$50 with shipping is about the upper end of what I hope to pay. I got lucky with my friend's jumbo van and found it in a thrift store for $5!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
ya thats were i found mine, at value village. now that i know they have value i keep my eyes peeled for them.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,015 Posts
Got one! Yellow in pretty good shape and also comes with a black parts truck for $22 plus $12 shipping.

I will post some "build" pics when I start working on it.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
cool. im gonna be doing some work on mine soon too and i will post some pictures as well.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, VA, Amherst
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
I just picked one up at good will for $12 in the box.. haven't tested it yet,.. and I have an Offroad Tiger that's the same I got for a buck at the flea market,.. I have been considering upgradeing.. but if they are going like you guys say they are I might have to sell one on ebay and mod the other'n
armysheep75 is offline Find More Posts by armysheep75
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:44 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysheep75 View Post
I just picked one up at good will for $12 in the box.. haven't tested it yet,.. and I have an Offroad Tiger that's the same I got for a buck at the flea market,.. I have been considering upgradeing.. but if they are going like you guys say they are I might have to sell one on ebay and mod the other'n
Yea if the in box one is in good shape and works then you will get $100 for it easily on EBay from what I've seen. Good find!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:48 AM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,015 Posts
Well I finally got the truck in my hands. It's in really great shape considering its age! Also came with a sorry looking parts truck that I salvaged the drivetrain and a few other parts from. Anyway, I took it apart to remove the stock electronics, clean the body, and swap in the drive gears from the parts truck. (Sturdier than the original gears.)

Here are some pics:
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:44 AM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,015 Posts
Well I finally got the parts I needed, (thanks to Rerun_40 in the classifieds!) and finished setting up the truck last night. Works great! Running on a 2S 1300mah LiPo since that's the biggest one I could fit in the battery compartment without removing a ton of plastic. I also locked the diff by filling it with hot glue, so it's true 4wd now! Here's a pic of the way I laid out the components and a video of the truck making short work of a pillow obstacle course on my couch!

Radio Shack Off Roader: Hobby grade parts! (0 min 46 sec)
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
184 Posts
thats cool!
4x4boy is offline Find More Posts by 4x4boy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Three Years On Youtube!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:14 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined May 2006
285 Posts
Yeah man, great work on the conversion. Works really well now!
4mods is offline Find More Posts by 4mods
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Looks like you're having fun ...

... My fond memories are of a gold aluminum tub RC10 buggie. All I have left are 3 RC10 T3's & an RC18T .....

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie