SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinucrazy View Post
flyboycpa, how will you paint the canopy? I thought about changing the covering too, but not sure how to go about it.
I talked directly to MaxfordUSA (very nice to deal with, BTW) and he contacted the factory in China to find out that the canopy is made of PET (supposedly like Lexan). I wanted to verify so that I got proper paint that would stick.

Today I started sanding the black paint off and it's a bear to sand (unlike the cowl). I'm half-tempted to just prime over what's left of the black (it's all scuffed, at least) and shoot my color over the primer. What little black is left will add negligible weight, in my opinion. Also, I simply pulled the red/white tape off the canopy. I am masking mine to replicate my sliding canopy.

FWIW, the fiberglass cowling sanded very easily down to a nice, white gel-coat. Ready for primer & paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
flyboy, I'd like to sheet mine as well but concerned about the weight....would you use 1/32 balsa?
I'm REALLY tempted to try a bit of 1/32" over the fuse to make it look a little better, but I am concerned about [what little] weight would all be aft of CG. I do have three fuselages, though.

Sam
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Dec 2009
141 Posts
Flyboycpa, thanks for the response. I also contacted Maxford about getting an unpainted canopy, but they could not get one. I wonder how flitemetal would work? www.flitemetal.com
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined May 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinucrazy View Post
Flyboycpa, thanks for the response. I also contacted Maxford about getting an unpainted canopy, but they could not get one. I wonder how flitemetal would work? www.flitemetal.com
I think FliteMetal would be great, but not on the Maxford model. I don't think it would lay too well with the stringers. On a more scale model, it would look great. For the Maxford, I'd stick with the Ultracote chrome or silver, or brushed aluminum finish.

Sam
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:54 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,316 Posts
Thanks to you guys on this thread I've just ordered the B Stock version for $110! What a deal. I'm going light and cheap on this one with cheap Chinese eBay stuff and parts and servos on hand.

But;
If I had a Swift and was going to model my own airplane I'd sheet the whole model and put a hot rod motor/esc set-up in it.

I just finished a 5S Denight Special and a 5S BH Midget Mustang 60 with 480 to 600KV motors and they haul, same wingspan as the Swift. The Midget weighs 7 3/4 pounds and floats in clean like a dream clean, haven't tried the flaps yet, it's raining now and won't get a chance to try it until next week. The DDT weighs at least that and has no flaps, flies great, lands like a feather (it has a lot more area though).

Point being, I think the model is large enough to be sheeted, and carry a lot more weight than Maxfords lightweight philosophy indicates.

I can't wait to get mine.

Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Last edited by stuntflyr; Dec 02, 2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:11 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
I just checked on what thickness to sheet it with and either 1/16th or 1/20th sounds definately like the way to go.
It'll probably be some time yet though since another project is on the table and probably will be for some time. I'm looking forward to the Swift though and will remain subscribed.
ce
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:32 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
I just checked on what thickness to sheet it with and either 1/16th or 1/20th sounds definately like the way to go.
It'll probably be some time yet though since another project is on the table and probably will be for some time. I'm looking forward to the Swift though and will remain subscribed.
ce
Capt.,

I watched your CMP Spitfire work and looked mighty fine. I have the CMP Spitty and really like the way it looks and flies! I wish it was a little lighter but overall and really nice ARF for the money. I am more if a kit or plans guy but couldn't turn it down for the $134. I am still using the cheapy retracts that came with it but replaced the pushrods and also have replaced the wheels with larger ones.

I have a build thread here for my Lopresti Fury, which was a redesign of the Fury....

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:26 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Denny,
Thanks for the comment on my Spitfire. I really like it especially for the money. I thought it the best looking in it's class available. Unfortunetly I haven't flown mine yet. I found the horix stab is warped and I need to find a means to straigten orcompletely replace it.

I admire Maxford for designing so many less common planes. The Swift looks great and I have a feeling it will fly the same way. However I feel a strong need to sheet the fuselage and return to a more factory type aluminum finish. I just prefer the old, original style but it'll be a while since I'm converting a Top Flite AT-6 (SNJ) to EP right now and adding some scale mods.
I'm looking forward to that Swift though......
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, NJ, Caldwell
Joined Apr 2007
307 Posts
I still haven't got mine after the 50% off sale. WTH Maxford?
Sessholvlaru is offline Find More Posts by Sessholvlaru
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:29 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Mine showed up within the week shortly following my order.....how long have you been waiting?
Good luck -
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined May 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sessholvlaru View Post
I still haven't got mine after the 50% off sale. WTH Maxford?
If you ordered online, they should have sent a tracking number (as they have on my two previous orders). MaxfordUSA is really good to deal with, I wouldn't worry. Depending on where you are, it could take a week, or so. I live in Tennessee and they ship from California, so be patient.

Sam
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Dec 2009
141 Posts
It took about 2 weeks for me to get my B stock swift. The wait was worth it, as the dent in the canopy is so small, one wouldn't notice it, unless pointed out.
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:27 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,316 Posts
I got mine in about 3 days but am not allowed to look at it because Santa is not here yet.
I guess they sold them out because my Dad tried to buy a B stock version and they are now nowhere to be found on the site.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Apr 2007
307 Posts
I finally got my 50% off Swift today. It is a larger plane that I thought it would be and that is never a bad thing. I got the extension package and lighted instrument panel too. The covering and paint job are definitely sub-par (especially the cowl and canopy) and I probably would have returned it if I had paid full price.

Conversely, I have their Storch too and the covering/paint work are immaculate.

The "b-grade" defects in the hatch aren't bad but I will be patching them when I redo the covering.

Luckily the crappy finish makes me feel better about ripping it all off.

I will likely go with either of the Swift's below for a color scheme.

I also intend to add dihedral to the stabs.
Last edited by Sessholvlaru; Dec 09, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Apr 2007
307 Posts
So I've made some progress on mine. It's completely stripped and I've gotten one wing and all the loose pieces covered in Monokote chrome. This stuff is a real pain in the butt to work with but I think it's looking pretty good.

I've added lights to each wing tip by using some aluminum tube that the LEDs will mount to. It was spliced into each wing tip.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Apr 2007
307 Posts
Another.