HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2009
330 Posts
Mictronics is offline Find More Posts by Mictronics
Last edited by Mictronics; Jul 02, 2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Tired of RCG - Quality can be found at FVLAB
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:26 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
Anyone forsee any issues with soldering a skew planar or clover leaf to a flange type SMA connector?
That looks like a great fit for a skew wheel! I'm going to order a few of those connectors and see if they are easier than my BluBeams.

Thanks,

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:18 AM
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
780 Posts
just finish my antennas for 1.2 and looks like this...
i tested them and they are super..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictronics View Post
Both antennas must have the same polarization. So either both LH or both RH.

For skew-planar and cloverleaf, when you look from the side on the antenna, and the element you look on leans to the right, then it's RH polarization.
Leaning to the left is therefore LH polarization.

For comparison, this is RH:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3978043
Nettraptor is offline Find More Posts by Nettraptor
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:31 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
Welcome to the world of circular polarization. You can now put your old antennas in a box and tuck it away.... forever

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:23 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
a couple pics of my CL and SPW 1280mHz antenna set I just finished.

easy build, PITA to solder up lol, Thanks IBCrazy I can't wait to test them.

I have one question tho, will switching to circular polarization help eliminate interference on my 2.4G rc tx/rx since they are linear? and could you add a 2.4G CL and SPW to you rc tx/rx in the other polarity or would that hinder your radio link?

Thanks
Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:27 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtitan View Post
a couple pics of my CL and SPW 1280mHz antenna set I just finished.

easy build, PITA to solder up lol, Thanks IBCrazy I can't wait to test them.

I have one question tho, will switching to circular polarization help eliminate interference on my 2.4G rc tx/rx since they are linear? and could you add a 2.4G CL and SPW to you rc tx/rx in the other polarity or would that hinder your radio link?

Thanks
Jon
Unfortunately, no. Frequency and polarization are two completely different things.

Also if you check my youtube page you'll see that I bend little hooks on the ends of the wire the exact same length as the feedpoint gap. this makes it much easier to solder and makes it much stronger as well.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:31 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,369 Posts
Thanks Alex. I got a chance to briefly test out my SPW and CL antennas today and it was clear signal all the way with no drop-outs. Previously I'd always get dropouts and lots of static using omni antennas when flying the same route.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:57 AM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
WOW patrick those look great. What kind of wire did you use? Looks pretty thick.

I know you mostly fly low altitude with your quad, but watch out if you ever decide to punch the throttle and get some altitude - looks like the body of the quad could block your signal some. But with 1.3ghz you probably won't even notice it unless you venture further out. Just noticed that and thought I should give a warning

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:27 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,369 Posts
Hi Jeff, thanks. I used 1.6mm brass wire sold at OSH hardware as 25ft spools in the welding/tools section and flange SMA connectors.

Yep, the CF base will block signal if the copter's directly overhead but not when out a ways. I flew out half mile with omni antennas on video Tx & Rx last weekend to test my FRSky. R/C link RSSI stayed pretty much 100% the whole way but video started to get fuzzy toward the end. Gonna retest with the CP antennas when I get the chance. I'm not looking for range past 1/2 mile but better reception quality and it looks like CP delivers.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Aug 09, 2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:09 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Unfortunately, no. Frequency and polarization are two completely different things.

Also if you check my youtube page you'll see that I bend little hooks on the ends of the wire the exact same length as the feedpoint gap. this makes it much easier to solder and makes it much stronger as well.

-Alex
thanks for the tip. not sure what my issue was the last 2 attempts at flying FPV. I am using 2.4G FrSky tx/rx system and range testing on the ground was fine. On the first day, my 5th flight with all my FPV gear mounted was going great when I lost radio link completely. fixed up the plane and swapped cameras (lost my good camera in the crash) Took it back out and again everything was going fine and then boom, no radio link. I didn't lose video link til about 5-10' from impact both times. plane was pointed away from me and a bit behind me. both crashes where in about the same area of my flying field, but its an area I have flown in a lot under normal conditions (no FPV) with no problems at all. and the link was lost at about 100' away from me after flying much further than that in other directions. My video system is the Range Video 1.3G 300mW TX and RX with 5dB whips until now.

Jon

oh and I have added the 60cm antennas to my FrSky rx and have them routed to the tail about 6" apart from each other, with about 22" between them and the vid tx.

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:41 AM
Lithuania
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
Hello, which measurement is correct?
From the corner to the center(green) or to the soldering place(yellow)?
Also I have to measure to the corner of bending(blue) or to the center of wire(red)? Thanks
evvaldis is offline Find More Posts by evvaldis
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:49 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
961 Posts
So are you suggesting that you add the length of the feedpoint gap to make the hook or that the hook is equal to the feedpoint gap and subtracted from the quarter wavelength wire arm?

I want to build a pair of antenna for 5.8GHz and I am guessing that build accuracy gets more critical at these wavelengths?

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post

-Alex
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:48 PM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,463 Posts
Alex
Grips is flying his Quad in Canada. Wants 500-700 feet of clear video. I recommended a Range Video on 5.8GHz 200mW system with an IB Crazy SP and CL setup. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Neal
Nobert is offline Find More Posts by Nobert
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:05 AM
Joined Jun 2009
61 Posts
600mw 5.8ghz inerference

Hi I recently changed to 5.8ghz from 1.2ghz, I am using the airwaves rc and immersionrc Tx. I found that when powering the Tx using 12v 3 cell lipo I was getting herringbone lines on my monitor but reducing the voltage to 6v solved the issue (6v Ubec). I tested the system but range was rubbish using the omni antennas. I made a set of cp antennas but still getting dropouts at 200m! My question is has the power has been reduced in the Tx by reducing the input voltage? And has anyone else had the same switching interference issues with 12v?
starjet is offline Find More Posts by starjet
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:51 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobert View Post
Alex
Grips is flying his Quad in Canada. Wants 500-700 feet of clear video. I recommended a Range Video on 5.8GHz 200mW system with an IB Crazy SP and CL setup. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Neal
That will do 1000+ feet with ease.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member