SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2009, 10:50 AM
Australia
Joined Sep 2005
15 Posts
Discussion
FPV hardware for Australia

Hi:

I am setting up a 60size trainer for FPV along with the full Eagletree Pro setup. It will be operated in Australia. DOes anyone know what frequencies are legal here?
Can I use a 2.4GHz transmitter/receiver kit with a 2.4GHz radio control?Any issues with it?
Any good suppliers?

Thanks,

Reuven
reuven_segal is offline Find More Posts by reuven_segal
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2009, 07:15 PM
A few Models is not enough Hon
Australia, WA, Noranda
Joined Mar 2007
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuven_segal View Post
Hi:

I am setting up a 60size trainer for FPV along with the full Eagletree Pro setup. It will be operated in Australia. DOes anyone know what frequencies are legal here?
Can I use a 2.4GHz transmitter/receiver kit with a 2.4GHz radio control?Any issues with it?
Any good suppliers?

Thanks,

Reuven
Hi Reuven
I am in Perth. 2.4 is legal but only with a 10mw TX. Its up to you if you want to bend the rules. The OSD I have tried a few and ended up with the Eagletree being my best. I get most of my cam's and TX from Hobby Wireless
GadgetEric is offline Find More Posts by GadgetEric
Old Dec 02, 2009, 10:29 PM
Palmerston, Otago, New Zealand
Joined May 2001
31 Posts
Quote:
Hi:

Any good suppliers?

Thanks,

Reuven
Hi Reuven

I'm also in Perth and have used the following:

Helicopter on 35 MHz radio control with 2.4 ghz video
Airplane(s) with 2.4 radio control and 5.8 ghz video

Both worked fairly well but at this stage I have to say I'm most pleased with the 5.8 ghz video setup. I fly mostly from a big park in a suburban area so it avoids all the interference fom 2.4 ghz wifi etc. I would estimate I fly out to about 500m with no problems but the thing thats limiting my range is I don't want to fly over houses etc not the radio gear.

You cannot use 2.4 ghz control with 2.4 ghz video - your control range will be drastically reduced and your video quality will be terrible.

Cheers

Felix
thefeeman is offline Find More Posts by thefeeman
Old Dec 03, 2009, 12:12 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,746 Posts
Quote:
Hi:

Any good suppliers?

Thanks,

Reuven

Hi Reuven,

As mentioned above... the only legal frequency you can operate here in Australia is 2.4ghz. Which, as a vendor, drives me nuts. We have access to all of the FPV gear available on the market - yet we are unable to sell most of it here because it operates on frequencies outside of the laws here.

With regards to 2.4 Video and 2.4 RC, there are guys out there that claim they have it working. I read one thread where a guy uses a 2.4g Video setup with his Spektrum. And he reckons as long as you power up the Video first, the Spektrum will choose frequencies not used by the video TX, and he is fine. I myself have not tested this theory, so can't comment.

The Eagle Tree gear is absolutely fantastic. Yes, I retail their gear, but it really is good stuff. Their service is second to none, that is for sure.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2009, 01:48 AM
FPV Plane & RC Motorcycle Dude
Port Elliot, South Australia
Joined Nov 2009
239 Posts
Hi,

The Eagle Tree Pro OSD is very good and extremely programmable. It is great to be able to get home and download the data from the logger as well. Mongrelgear.com.au provides excellent prices and service.

I tried 2.4Ghz vid and 2.4 RC tx/rx, turning on the vid first, but found my range was affected considerably and also that my RC tx was creating interference lines on the vid via the vid rx. Seperating the two helped considerably but the range issue was never overcome so I went with 36Mhz for the RC.

Legal band is 2.4Ghz to 10mW. There are a couple of other industrial application bands as well but no gear available to support them.

There are a number of suppliers of vid tx/rx in Hong Kong and you can purchase multi frequency systems that are very good and very cheap.

Cheers

Ian
Ian Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ian Williams
Old Dec 03, 2009, 02:17 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Hi,

The Eagle Tree Pro OSD is very good and extremely programmable. It is great to be able to get home and download the data from the logger as well. Mongrelgear.com.au provides excellent prices and service.

Cheers

Ian
Thanks Ian!

I am not one to brandish my site in other's threads, but seeing as you raised, I suppose it's OK.

FYI - I have an order in with Eagle Tree right now, and it will ship very very soon... so if anyone wants anything, now would be the time to ask!

Just PM wit your enquiry.

Cheers
-J (aka The Mongrel)
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2009, 06:44 AM
The FPV Ninja
Brisbane, South East QLD
Joined Dec 2008
145 Posts
FYI, if you desire some decent range... be prepared to bend or break some rules
Bindle83 is offline Find More Posts by Bindle83