HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, MI, Romulus
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Discussion
What am I missing here?

I have been flying on a sim for some time now in anticipation of buying my first plane. I had the sim set up for 4 channel operation, and thought I was doing quite well with it. I am getting a lot of advice on here about starting with a 3 channel plane like the super cub, so I figured I should set up my sim for 3 channel. Boy was I in for a shock. I found it much harder to control the plane with a rudder as apposed to ailerons.

Now I wonder if I was piloting the plane "properly" while I was in 4 channel mode. I mostly never used the rudder except for taxiing. I found it extremely easy to make turns with just aileron and elevator control and pretty much not touch the rudder. With a little practice I am now able to perform a pretty decent turn with rudder and elevator, but it is still much more difficult than with 4 channel. I always thought 4 channel was something you aspired to only after learning 3 channel.

Do you guys turn your real planes with rudder and elevator, or do you turn them the way I did on the sim with ailerons and elevator?
aphily8ed is offline Find More Posts by aphily8ed
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
I dont always use rudder unless its for taxing and landing if I have to line up with the runway, but when I do use in flight it usually if I'm doing scale flying with my Cessna , C47 or my PBY Catalina. Basically planes which are not meant to flown sporty even though I dont always follow that rule.

With certain planes, using rudder only will drop the nose, but using rudder and ailerons can make your turns look nice and scale. And rudder and ailerons are used in real flight
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:09 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,052 Posts
I learned on a 4-channel and had no problems really. I do have a HZ Supercub which I used as a re-trainer when I returned to RC flying earlier this year, and have no problems either.

Sure you can turn with ailerons and elevator. Should be good for 98% of the time.
I only use the rudder for ground steering/taxiing, keeping her straight on the take-off run or coasting after touch down, stall turns, sometimes during four point rolls and if really necessary, for sideslipping onto the runway.

If you are fine with 4 channels on the sim, you should be good to go on an aileron trainer. IMO, the biggest benefit of a sim is getting the pilot used to orientation whichever way the plane is heading, towards or away from you. The sim also teaches the pilot to not overcontrol or freeze on the sticks which commonly cause a real model to stall or spin into the ground.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
It wasn't that I was having problems with the 4 channel. In fact I was doing quite well. But if I go with the overwhelming advise to get a super cub first, I will (at least initially) be limited to 3 channels. I was just surprised to find how much more difficult it was to steer with 3 rather than with 4 channels. For some reason I thought the opposite was true.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Can you tell me what a good aileron trainer might be?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
If you can start with a 4 ch plane. You'll save yourself some re-learning time later
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:46 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
764 Posts
Just a thought,.... when you changed the sim from 4ch to 3ch, did you move the rudder to the right stick where the aileron used to be? If you didn't, I can understand why it was harder (you needed to use both sticks to turn). If you switch the rudder to the aileron stick on the right, you really shouldn't notice too much difference.
Personally, I do not subscribe to the idea that it is easier to start with a three channel plane. Most people only use the right stick anyway on their first 4-channel plane, and accomplish turns with the "yank and bank" movement. The four channel is easier (IMO) because the plane responds to an aileron input more quickly than a rudder input. On the other hand, when you slow down for landing, aileron is the first control surface to stall (become ineffective), while rudder is the last control surface to stall.
Chatenever is offline Find More Posts by Chatenever
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:52 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphily8ed View Post
Can you tell me what a good aileron trainer might be?
I suspect that I'll get flamed for giving this advice, but after you've learned to fly your first plane, I'd recommend a dumbed-down 3D foamy. Have an experienced pilot set the throws on the control surfaces so that it is smooth and docile. Increase the throws as you gain experience. It steers like a hose, and goes wherever you point it.
Chatenever is offline Find More Posts by Chatenever
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
No, I didn't change the rudder to the right side. I figured on a real Tx I wouldn't be able to do that so I just thought I had to learn it with rudder on left.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
4,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatenever View Post
I suspect that I'll get flamed for giving this advice, but after you've learned to fly your first plane, I'd recommend a dumbed-down 3D foamy. Have an experienced pilot set the throws on the control surfaces so that it is smooth and docile. Increase the throws as you gain experience. It steers like a hose, and goes wherever you point it.
That's good advice.

Another option, the Hobby King Bixler 1 or 2. The new Multiplex Easy Star, and another great plane to start with in the Eflite Apprentice. The most important part though is to try to have someone help you. Adjust your throws and expos as well. If you can get on a buddy box, even better. I learned to fly on the Apprentice and my instructor would get the plane into a stiff breeze and make me use rudder as the main means of control, along with throttle. Oh, and it was freezing cold out too.

If you belong to a club ask for the club trainer.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,052 Posts
Aileron equipped planes will always turn quicker than rudder-only planes since ailerons are on the the wing and that makes them more effective as far as inducing attitude changes. Naturally, quickness of response depends on the amount of control surface throw as well. But a rudder mostly affects the yaw, which produces a clumsy, skidding effect. Whereas the ailerons produces the banking effect which is aerodynamically a quicker way to turn. Imagine turning a motorcycle without banking and you'll get the idea.

The main reasons rudder only planes like the SC make good trainers are:

1. It is harder to turn rudder only as you have noticed on the sim. This means that it is harder for a beginner to screw up the flight.

2. The SC's basic design, ie. high wing, low wing loading due to it low weight, just enough motor power, adequate dihedral all contribute to make the SC inherently stable, and it is self stabilizing after a beginner induced error, as well. Assuming he doesn't freeze, it is more difficult for the beginner to get into trouble with a model like the SC. Not saying he won't though.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
So on a real Tx is it common practice to put the rudder on the right stick with the elevator or is that not possible?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Sep 2008
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphily8ed View Post
So on a real Tx is it common practice to put the rudder on the right stick with the elevator or is that not possible?
For a three channel plane, in the US, the rudder goes on the right stick, yes.

All you have to do is plug the rudder servo connector into the correct channel on the receiver.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:10 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,111 Posts
Ares gamma 370. 3 channel, ready for receiver -$80.
"Gamma pro," 4 channel, brushless, ready-for receiver- $99.
Comes out later this month.
A true bargain and an outstanding flyer.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:37 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
930 Posts
There is something wrong here.Anyone who can fly 4 channels, should have no trouble with three (and actually anyone proficient with 3 should not have too much trouble with 4.Flying is flying, after all is said and done).Aphily8ed has reversed his controls imo - the main directional control should always be on the right, in Mode 2.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo