SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2014, 01:49 PM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
892 Posts
Question
Anyone here make their own sails?

I've got some new design ideas for sails which are different to anything currently on the market so I'm considering making my own.

Any advice?
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2014, 05:02 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
506 Posts
Bit hard to answer without any more detail.....

I have used ripstop nylon for cheap and quick sails, in bright colours and available at most sewing shops. You also need some suitable double sided tape and something suitable for the corner patches. For the eyelets - you can probably also get them at the sewing shop....

I have also made sails from Mylar, but it is more expensive and tricky to work with.

Panelled sails can be constructed using a sail block or a Claudio Gadget.

Does that help at all? There is a lot of information about, Google is your friend... ;-)
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Sep 13, 2014, 08:02 PM
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
Bit hard to answer without any more detail.....

I have used ripstop nylon for cheap and quick sails, in bright colours and available at most sewing shops. You also need some suitable double sided tape and something suitable for the corner patches. For the eyelets - you can probably also get them at the sewing shop....

I have also made sails from Mylar, but it is more expensive and tricky to work with.

Panelled sails can be constructed using a sail block or a Claudio Gadget.

Does that help at all? There is a lot of information about, Google is your friend... ;-)
I think that covers all bases regarding alternatives. Let me add two grains of sand:

1) If you decide to go with paneled sails using the Claudio Gadget, here is the guide for that... http://www.cvrc.cl/wp-content/upload...dio-Gadget.pdf (by Eric Rosenbaum).

2) No matter if you go panelled or not, always do your sails 2-3 cm larger on each side... and only after they are done, cut sides using the actual rig as a guide. This is most important on the leading edge of the main: use the actual mast as a guide, prebending it first as if the backstay had some tension. This will give you the precise curve you have to cut on your main!
tarmstro is online now Find More Posts by tarmstro
Old Sep 14, 2014, 02:11 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,279 Posts
I have built sails on a number of occasions. Normally because I was too broke or building something too weird to consider commercially made sails.

My best results always came from using mylar, a sail block and 3/8" wide double sided tape.

I bought big rolls of mylar for the bigger projects. For smaller sails I have used the mylar in report covers with great success.
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:23 AM
Joined Jan 2012
892 Posts
Thanks for all the great tips.

What adhesive tape you guys use for Mylar?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:30 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
Thanks for all the great tips.

What adhesive tape you guys use for Mylar?
The following links are Australian but will give you the idea:
https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustra...-seams%29.html
Use 6mm for smaller sails, 9mm for larger ones

Luff tape (great for jib luff pocket - this tape is NOT adhesive, you attach it with double sided tape)
https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustra...-TN%252d5.html

This Mylar tape (supposed to be for leech) is great for luff reinforcement on small Mylar mainsails. Available in other widths
https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustra...47%7Droll.html
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Sep 19, 2014, 01:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
892 Posts
That's a great online shop you have down under.

Wish there was something similar in the UK.
Old Today, 08:23 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
Wish there was something similar in the UK.
http://sailsetc.com/magento/index.php/ A.o.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled