HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:11 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,352 Posts
Making the tape stick up that far might well have caused the trip to act more like a spoiler. If so then the effect on the controls you got is understandable. Try it again using some slit down masking or electrical tape laid on two to three layers thick by 1/8 inch wide. And you're looking for this turbulator to be located at around 1/5 the way back from the leading edge.

It's with issues such as this and trying things that I've found we learn the most. When things go perfectly first time and every time it's just too easy....
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:09 PM
United States, MA, Middleboro
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
Sounds like you are right path. The fun in the hobby is you can experiment to get an idea of what can work for you.
The winglets should stay in a high aspect configuration that you have, just keep the root cord under 60 percent of the tip cord, and move them back so the trailing edge of them at least meets the trailing edge of the control surfaces.
iron eagle is offline Find More Posts by iron eagle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The third time is a charm!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:24 PM
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Apr 2013
25 Posts
So I slapped some bigger (less sexy) winglets on and gave it a go today. Unfortunately it was so damn windy I could barely keep it pointed where I wanted it to go. Down wind turns were exciting to say the least. Winds were coming out of the W directly, and the hill where I fly at lunch is not well suited for the westerlies (a barbed wire fence is my LZ ). I will have to try again next week.

A short video for your viewing pleasure...

1m RC Flying Wing Slope Soaring -Test Flight #2 + High Winds (0 min 57 sec)
daveoxide is offline Find More Posts by daveoxide
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:10 PM
United States, MA, Middleboro
Joined Jul 2007
605 Posts
Looks like it flew pretty good given the conditions.
iron eagle is offline Find More Posts by iron eagle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The third time is a charm!
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:19 AM
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
873 Posts
Dave; your wing looks a little over-controlled in pitch. Is your elevator throw less than half of the aileron number? It could be as little as 20%, depending on CG. If you reduce throw, you'll need to be sure there is no slop in the linkage and hinges.

Your original tiplets had a lot of area below the wing, which might contribute to tip stall. Your new ones look like they have little or no area below the wing, but it's hard to see. Unless you intend to side-launch or discus-launch the wing, there isn't any need to balance the upper and lower areas.

ed
EdSoars is offline Find More Posts by EdSoars