RCJamal is offline Find More Posts by RCJamal
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:29 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJamal View Post
You'll need to hook it to a pc and make sure it can do elevon mixing for the plane styles I've shown you.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:37 AM
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
871 Posts
I just started in this hobby at 38 years old. I decided to "scratch" build my first plane from plans I found on the internet. (there is some disagreement among RCGers on what scratch really means, hence the quotes) At any rate, I built this low wing 3 channel plane. Along the way, I learned A LOT about aircraft design, weight distribution, control surface sizes and throws, etc, etc. Not to mention the voodoo that is power system selection! I probably have twice as much time into research as I do into construction. To date, I have about 8 flights on this plane. The longest was 30 seconds or so before crashing. I have spent much time on the simulator, but aside from training you to turn opposite when it's coming at you, I find that it does very little to prepare you for actual flight.

My rather long winded point here is: build your own plane. Out of wood. Make it a high wing trainer. You will learn so much. And trust me, nothing looks cooler in the sky that that thing you spent all that time building actually flying. Then when you get that cool looking foamy thing (blah) you'll have half a chance of figuring out why you can't fly it.
Tucci is online now Find More Posts by Tucci
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:47 AM
Jamal
Canada, PE, Charlottetown
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
I have the program and cord for my TX and it does all kinda of customization. Tucci, I built a flying wing a couple weeks ago from foamboard, and I will test it next time it's a good temp outside, if it doesn't work I'll probably order some electronics that weight less for it.
RCJamal is offline Find More Posts by RCJamal
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
I just started in this hobby at 38 years old. I decided to "scratch" build my first plane from plans I found on the internet. (there is some disagreement among RCGers on what scratch really means, hence the quotes) At any rate, I built this low wing 3 channel plane. Along the way, I learned A LOT about aircraft design, weight distribution, control surface sizes and throws, etc, etc. Not to mention the voodoo that is power system selection! I probably have twice as much time into research as I do into construction. To date, I have about 8 flights on this plane. The longest was 30 seconds or so before crashing. I have spent much time on the simulator, but aside from training you to turn opposite when it's coming at you, I find that it does very little to prepare you for actual flight.

My rather long winded point here is: build your own plane. Out of wood. Make it a high wing trainer. You will learn so much. And trust me, nothing looks cooler in the sky that that thing you spent all that time building actually flying. Then when you get that cool looking foamy thing (blah) you'll have half a chance of figuring out why you can't fly it.
I agree that building is the best way into the hobby.Nice plane, too!
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
have you thought about a crak yak by twisted hobbies it can be tamed down and i think would make a good tariner
truckinhard088 is offline Find More Posts by truckinhard088
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,407 Posts
There are plenty of plans for planes that are easy to build and fly .I build with 6 mm dollar tree foam or i use blue dow 1/4 inch fan fold . If you need servos or motors you can try here for them http://www.valuehobby.com/ they have good prices and they ship for about 6 bucks. As far as a plane its good to fly a slow one untill you can fly well ,a 3-d plane can get out of hand very fast with bad results. Even tho i have been building for 30 + years i still like very slow flying planes . Dont think for a second i dont have 100mph + planes in my hanger but they get old after a while too. Here is a plane called the slowly from the german forums and it flys at a slow walk if you want it too.The free download and videos are here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22098736 Because it uses only 2 servos you can buy the motor for 10 the servos for 10 and the foam you will have to find what cheap stuff by where you live. My foam was a couple bucks and i used gorrila glue to build it. It a toon plane and thats why i like it.
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,407 Posts
Another one thats a great flying plane is a magnum reloaded again from the german forums .Its built with the same kinda foam and very jun to fly. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595008 Videos and free plans are here on this one too. I fly mine with only rudder and elev but with a bigger battery and i can hover mine outdoors.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,407 Posts
If you still want a 3-d plane iam building one of these with the same cheap foam now and its a easy build . http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=ultron All of these plans are tiled so you can print them on your home printer . If you would like any more or a different kind ,just pm me i have alot more free plans from all over . good luck BTW i buy some motors from Don at strongrcmotors to and they are a great price also. http://www.strongrcmotors.com/Motors.htm
Last edited by cracksmeup; Nov 18, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:10 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
521 Posts
Here's your slow jet!

I agree with those who say to start with a high wing trainer. I took their advice and taught myself to fly with a Hobbyzone Super Cub. If it looks too plain for you, you can always peel off the decals and replace them with military ones available at most hobby stores.

If you insist on a different route, then I MIGHT have a viable alternative for you.

Take a look at this thread, or search for Air Hogs Conversion

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206083

I picked up a couple of these for this winters project, so the only experience I have with them is tossing one around at the park with my grandson. I have to admit that it looks quite impressive just gliding around. This jet glider it HUGE! It should be quite easy to see from a distance; an important factor for a newbie.

Air Hogs Titan Glider Brushless Conversion Slow Flight, Low Passes and High Altitude Glides (8 min 36 sec)

If you get this together and manage to master it as a slow flyer, you'll find plenty of threads and videos of "fun jet" conversions where they clipped the wings and used an edf setup. Uh, I don't suggest that as your first step though

As I said, I have no experience with the powered version of this plane, yet.

The hardest thing for you to do will be to find one this time of the year. I've seen them at Wal Mart and Target.

Good luck!
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Last edited by mybad; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:16 AM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,183 Posts
Hey Jamal, what is your setup for your flying wing? I would, like everyone else, suggest a high wing trainer, it's what i started on and i have been flying for about 8 months now and can fly 3d fairly well. And my success is due to that trainer i had. A wing from CTH (crash test hobby) would be okay to learn on, merely because they are so friggen durable, so it takes the abuse that you WILL throw at it. And again, i say WILL. But, if you are looking for a more sporty plane, that would be the way to go. here is the link to the CTH site to the assassin, their 34" EPP flying wing, and you can look at their parts list that they have on the site, they can be set up for pretty cheap. http://crashtesthobby.com/products/assassin
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:02 AM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
Joined Jan 2012
1,183 Posts
Here is my trainer that i started with, no, it doesn't look the best, but is a breeze to fly. I can literally get it up in the air, trim it to fly in a large circle, put the TX down, and go get a drink while it does its thing.

And the third picture is the back of my car before i go to the flying field, what isn't shown is my trainer, and my small DLG.

But! if you see that SkySurfer and think it might be good for a trainer... I wouldnt recommend it as a first plane, maybe a second. I have had to do so many modifications to it to get it airworthy, and i still have a few problems with it..

The Champ, is an amazing plane for a beginner, i have crashed that thing a lot, and it takes it and keeps going with a bit of foam safe CA. I would highly recommend that plane.

-Seth
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
Hey Jamal, what is your setup for your flying wing? I would, like everyone else, suggest a high wing trainer, it's what i started on and i have been flying for about 8 months now and can fly 3d fairly well. And my success is due to that trainer i had. A wing from CTH (crash test hobby) would be okay to learn on, merely because they are so friggen durable, so it takes the abuse that you WILL throw at it. And again, i say WILL. But, if you are looking for a more sporty plane, that would be the way to go. here is the link to the CTH site to the assassin, their 34" EPP flying wing, and you can look at their parts list that they have on the site, they can be set up for pretty cheap. http://crashtesthobby.com/products/assassin
I agree he will learn faster with a high wing trainer also . If he buys a fast wing or a 3-d plane he will more than likley crash it fast and have to buy another plane sooner than he thought. I bought my son a E-flight apprentice last year and he is doing well with it and he can do loops and rolls once i give him some more thro on everything. I have it on low rates now and its a floater.BTW I was a instructer in two different clubs for 25 years and i would recomend a Kadet SR for a great trainer also ,big and slow is the way to go. joe
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:22 AM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
Joined Jan 2012
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I agree he will learn faster with a high wing trainer also . If he buys a fast wing or a 3-d plane he will more than likley crash it fast and have to buy another plane sooner than he thought. I bought my son a E-flight apprentice last year and he is doing well with it and he can do loops and rolls once i give him some more thro on everything. I have it on low rates now and its a floater.BTW I was a instructer in two different clubs for 25 years and i would recomend a Kadet SR for a great trainer also ,big and slow is the way to go. joe
Yeah 3d is all an illusion to how easy it looks, it looks lke they are going slow and not doing much, but watch a guy's fingers that is flying 3d. thats all you have to do
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:26 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,981 Posts
That's a fine looking plane Seth, but it has a lot of downthrust. Does it need that much to fly?
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H