HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:19 AM
Santa Clarita
Joined Oct 2010
37 Posts
Discussion
Custom 1/2 spinner

Does anyone know where I can get a custom spinner for a car motor conversion to aircraft??
Motor is the Picco .05. Crank is not long enough for a traditional washer/nut arrangement. I need a spinner with a female threaded shaft that protrudes into the prop hole.

Thanks

Mike
bedowinn is offline Find More Posts by bedowinn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,985 Posts
Picco is a lovely engine But the Heat sink head needs machining down into a suitable size for Air uses.
Have a wee screw on shaft extender machined as well. A prop would only clear a straight (no throttle intake) on those 'as is'.. and then just barely
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:44 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,397 Posts
I think Paul Galbreth makes a conversion Picco for about $160. I think you would need a drive plate made too (without seeing it) I have made a conversion on a larger one to show the carb situation. I won't be using the car's carb, but you can see that the prop is too close. In this case, I drilled and tapped the front of the crank in the lathe and put in a stud after softening the crank. The Picco does have a weak crank just so you know. I wanted to make one up too. If you use a stepped nut you will have to use a drilled out prop as in the Fora picture. Hopefully it will load.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,397 Posts
Try again
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:03 PM
Santa Clarita
Joined Oct 2010
37 Posts
Actually,
I did buy a Picco from Doug. Nice guy.
But I could not resist the low price for the base car version.
I wanted to build one myself. I've modified the head and have a venturi and needle to try out. A Brodak drive plate/collet seems to fit but I have no spinner, hence the request.
Any ideas for the spinner??
bedowinn is offline Find More Posts by bedowinn
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:05 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,397 Posts
If you know what size the thread is, I could make one for you. Just give me all the dimensions, including the propellor hole size desired. I think I have 3/8" and 3/4" hex stock. Maybe pay the postage that is all. I have some metric taps, but no non standard fine ones. I know the Fora has a non standard one. I don't have a Picco to look at. I want one too, but can't talk the upper management into any more motors at all. Give me a PM maybe we could work something else out too. Hmm, maybe ten spinners for a motor. You can see the spinner nut on the black motor (Axial) from the 3/4" hex. I made about 50 for various motors I have because I hate fiddling with spinners and different allen wrenches, metric, standard, starter rubber cones falling off...
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:45 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
964 Posts
I think it is a standard M5 thread (from memory, I can check if needed). I've made mine in aluminium, it is not that hard to do if you have access to a lathe. Props will also have to be reamed.
surfer_kris is online now Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:24 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,397 Posts
I have an m4 x .7; and an m5 x .8 tap, they are standard sizes. The hex stock I have is aluminum.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:06 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
I think Paul Galbreth makes a conversion Picco for about $160.
Recently Picco 05's were 'on sale' for $39 Yes!! in regular OR with yank cord start. I gave it some thought. Hey! it was 1/5th price .
But decided it was more trouble than it was worth to beat one into airworthyness
A $12 Electric can/does outperform it.. when all is said and done.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:07 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,397 Posts
$29.95 at Nitro House. But does the electric idle below 5,000 rpm? Oh ya it does. Still it is the Half A thread.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:44 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
A $12 Electric can/does outperform it.. when all is said and done.
When all is said and done, an electric fan is just an electric fan.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris View Post
When all is said and done, an electric fan is just an electric fan.
It is, but nitro power is nothing more than a fan with a internal combustion engine behind it. The low cost of the Chinese brushless motors and LiPo batteries have very much so invigorated the schoolyard sized aircraft once dominated by 1/2-A nitro engines, but were sidelined with the drop in .40 sized equipment and plane prices.

In a way I am glad for this resurgence, if nothing else, it doesn't take much to convert an electric kit to nitro. I still enjoy nitro power, because it sounds like a real model airplane.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,397 Posts
It isn't much to make it airworthy. It is a lot of trouble to destroke it to a measureable .049. Then there is the fact that the crank is weak. Then again, that is why you can get it for $30.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
But then, if one can purchase the AP .061 for under $35 (when in stock) or get a Cox Sure Start .049 with exhaust restrictor throttle for under the same shipping included, it makes modifying the Picco a mute point, cost effective fix excepting.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:27 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
964 Posts
You cannot compare a cox, with intake choke, to a modern ABC ballbearing engine.

The picco is a very well made engine appart from the crank that seems to brake above 20000rpm.