HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2014, 02:08 PM
United Kingdom, Devon
Joined Jul 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Video Voltage display:

Those two Video In and Out middle (Power) pins should never have been designed/made as a permanent connection to the Storm Input Voltage rail. They should have been joined just themselves, but those then isolated with a Jumper option to join them to the Storm rail, or not, IF you chose to! (eg put a jumper on IF you want the Storm input voltage to also power the FPV system - and leave that jumper off if you were running a 5V system etc.)
Thanks for the info, agree with all you say, anyway I have connected it as suggested and all works okay. Not to bothered that there is no video voltage display, I always have a full charge on every flight anyway.
Turbiner is offline Find More Posts by Turbiner
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2014, 02:17 PM
South Africa, WC, Vredendal
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
How do I setup a flying wing? I use a 9xr Tx. Should I keep the normal 6ch setup & just adjust the osd to alevon on? Then plug 1 elevon into elevator & 1 into aileron? Does it matter which 1 which side? Will the osd take care of the mixing?
henlo is offline Find More Posts by henlo
Old Sep 19, 2014, 02:33 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henlo View Post
Haha, yes you are right! My pan/tilt cam was damaged after the crash, so I have fixed mounted 1 temporary. How do your fpv cam setup look like? 2 x cams with a switch?
I have Pan/tilt on my SkyHunter and would like to get panning capability on a few more of my planes soon. Until then, just fixed mount...

The clouds finally came-back to visit briefly here in Northern CA and I couldn't resist getting up there for a few short clips. It was my lunch break and I was so eager to fly, I neglected to zero my Storm or let it acquire all it's sats. Ended-up flying the whole flight with 99999 reading on my distance from home, and no RTH. Luckily, no incidents Darn clouds always look so low until you go try and get up to them
Cloudy with a chance of Specter !!! (2 min 42 sec)
melsailsnorth is offline Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Old Sep 19, 2014, 04:58 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henlo View Post
How do I setup a flying wing? I use a 9xr Tx. Should I keep the normal 6ch setup & just adjust the osd to alevon on? Then plug 1 elevon into elevator & 1 into aileron? Does it matter which 1 which side? Will the osd take care of the mixing?
Yes it well take care of the mixing. Leave it a normal plane wing type and set up as you said amd enable it in the osd. Once its wired up, make sure everything moves correctly with the stick movements. You may need to do some reversing in the radio. Once you get that sorted, put it into PA and bank right, the right elevon should go down, same with the left. Nose down, both elevs should go up, and nose up the elevons should go down.
If they are not, reverse them in the osd menu! I also always do control checks viewing from the back of the model. Ive seen to many guys at the field doing control checks looking from the nose of their plane and mistakenly have the ailerons reversed. But i guess its what your used to.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2014, 07:52 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,385 Posts
what port on the storm do i need to plug the ppm cable in to? is it the Mod slot?

ok im gonna need some help....im using and ezuhf 8ch rx...i set the ppm to ch2 on the rx....when setting up the storm how should i be mapping everything?

I am using the taranis for tx...here is how i have everything set in that...
ch1=throttle
ch2=ail
ch3=ele
ch4=rud
ch5=pan
ch6=mode
ch7=display
ch8=now will be rssi
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Last edited by SDSURFnGLIDE; Sep 19, 2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 09:51 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
what port on the storm do i need to plug the ppm cable in to? is it the Mod slot?

ok im gonna need some help....im using and ezuhf 8ch rx...i set the ppm to ch2 on the rx....when setting up the storm how should i be mapping everything?

I am using the taranis for tx...here is how i have everything set in that...
ch1=throttle
ch2=ail
ch3=ele
ch4=rud
ch5=pan
ch6=mode
ch7=display
ch8=now will be rssi
I need to know this as well, thinking about upgrading to the newest Fw.(currently on fw1.4).

From the A5 manual looks like it needs to go into MOD(flight control channel) So i guess in the storm set the ppm to (in your case) ch6?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:11 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
I need to know this as well, thinking about upgrading to the newest Fw.(currently on fw1.4).

From the A5 manual looks like it needs to go into MOD(flight control channel) So i guess in the storm set the ppm to (in your case) ch6?
Eastcoast i figured it out....I have attached my ezuhf servo mapping for you. So basically i set ch5 in the Servo output to "ppm muxed" and left the 'PPM Slot' settings alone except for PPM 8 I set to RSSI.

Then in the storm i just left the PPM mapping at stock and it all worked.

on the Rx i plugged the PPM cable into ch5 and since storm doesnt control rudder or throttle i will be using ch1 on the rx for thr and ch4 on the rx is rudder.

I also had to change my display switch to ch6 on my tx since that is the highest storm supports.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:41 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,440 Posts
Thanks, i use DragonLink which PPM is out of CH12(non configurable). So i guess I'll just run the a male to male from ch12 on the rx to the MOD input of the storm? Seems right? Just the signal and ground should do hey?
So in the storm menu you set the ppm on to ch5?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Thanks, i use DragonLink which PPM is out of CH12(non configurable). So i guess I'll just run the a male to male from ch12 on the rx to the MOD input of the storm? Seems right? Just the signal and ground should do hey?
So in the storm menu you set the ppm on to ch5?
The PPM defaults to ch5 in the storm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 04:40 PM
United Kingdom, Devon
Joined Jul 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Video Voltage display:
I think the Storm input Voltage pin is commoned to the Video In and Out Voltage pins. I will have to go check tonight.... (I am 90% sure they are!)
If so, then that video system voltage (and thus readout) can only ever be "12V", as per the power source feeding the Storm anyway. eg you could not read a 5V (or any other non 12v) FPV system.
Seeing 90% of aircraft setups use 3S anyway, the Video Voltage readout is going to be the same as the Flight Battery anyway - thus of no great use to have the separate displays.

I will check my Storm tonight, but also if it is commoned I will see if it can be isolated. Then you COULD monitor any other FPV voltage setup, and thus have that truly be of use.

The only use as it is now is that if you do fly something 6S (say) and remove the Batt Jumper, then the Flight battery will read that 6S from the Current Sensor and then you will need to source 12v for the Storm - but remembering those middle pins are commoned so the FPV system STILL will have to show 12V in the Video Voltage display, even if the FPV system is not really running from that at all!!

In reality, that Video Voltage display is really the "Storm Voltage Display" !!!

Those two Video In and Out middle (Power) pins should never have been designed/made as a permanent connection to the Storm Input Voltage rail. They should have been joined just themselves, but those then isolated with a Jumper option to join them to the Storm rail, or not, IF you chose to! (eg put a jumper on IF you want the Storm input voltage to also power the FPV system - and leave that jumper off if you were running a 5V system etc.)
Ok so I have the second lipo powering the camera and vtx going through the cyclops, no power cable just video and negative. All works but if the main power supply fails I still get no video because cyclops has to be powered for the video to go through, so apart from getting a clean supply for video, the second lipo is probably pointless.
Turbiner is offline Find More Posts by Turbiner
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:52 PM
melbourne-multirotor
Australia, VIC, Hillside
Joined Oct 2006
393 Posts
Hi all i need help in understanding delta wing setup for Cyclops Storm OSD
from RX ALI into in port on the Storm
from RX ELE into in port on the Storm
so do i plug one servo in ALI port out on the storm
and the other servo in ELE out on the storm
and set the storm to elevon Y

Thanks
yak-54 is online now Find More Posts by yak-54
Old Yesterday, 01:33 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-54 View Post
Hi all i need help in understanding delta wing setup for Cyclops Storm OSD
from RX ALI into in port on the Storm
from RX ELE into in port on the Storm
so do i plug one servo in ALI port out on the storm
and the other servo in ELE out on the storm
and set the storm to elevon Y

Thanks
do the same as normal 4 chan airplane setup, and enable elevon in the storm osd menu, make sure no mixing on your radio also storm will do all the mixing
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM
melbourne-multirotor
Australia, VIC, Hillside
Joined Oct 2006
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
do the same as normal 4 chan airplane setup, and enable elevon in the storm osd menu, make sure no mixing on your radio also storm will do all the mixing
Hi thanks for the reply

so i just plug one servo in ali out port
and the other servo in ele out port ?
yak-54 is online now Find More Posts by yak-54
Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-54 View Post
Hi thanks for the reply

so i just plug one servo in ali out port
and the other servo in ele out port ?
yes correct, take not the direction of the control surface after that reverse if necessary
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
South Africa, WC, Vredendal
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth View Post
I have Pan/tilt on my SkyHunter and would like to get panning capability on a few more of my planes soon. Until then, just fixed mount...

The clouds finally came-back to visit briefly here in Northern CA and I couldn't resist getting up there for a few short clips. It was my lunch break and I was so eager to fly, I neglected to zero my Storm or let it acquire all it's sats. Ended-up flying the whole flight with 99999 reading on my distance from home, and no RTH. Luckily, no incidents Darn clouds always look so low until you go try and get up to them
http://youtu.be/4lYyFjOJxAM
Thanks for all this info, just waiting on my wing...
This osd really are the business!!! My previous record was 8km & I stressed a LOT! I Have lost my Tx & image signal a few times but today with the Storm osd was different! Didn't stress at all & got a easy 10km! My personal record & BIG moment for me to achieve this after a few years of fpv.
henlo is offline Find More Posts by henlo