HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Discussion
Blown Cellpro PowerLab8

I wonder if anyone can help me. I managed to put about 35VDC across the output of my PL8 and have blown Q19 which appears to be a transistor or FET the centre lead of which is connected directly to the -ve output lead. One of the other leads is connected directly to what appears to be a current measuring shunt marked .005 ohms.

I would like to try to source a replacement for Q19 but the only markings on it are 3N06L05, GHN912 and Q52. Googling 3N06L05 gives only one meaningful result, a data sheet for an Infineon 'OptiMOSŪ-T2 Power-Transistor', N channel. I gather this is a MOSFET... Could anyone suggest an alternative which I can get from Radio Spares or elsewhere in the UK? Is this likely to be the only damaged component? Nothing else appears fried and the display etc was still working normally. When I tried to do a discharge on the PL8 it gave a 'Pack not connected' error.

Regards, Martin Winlow.
martinwinlow is offline Find More Posts by martinwinlow
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:43 AM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinwinlow View Post
I wonder if anyone can help me. I managed to put about 35VDC across the output of my PL8 and have blown Q19 which appears to be a transistor or FET the centre lead of which is connected directly to the -ve output lead. One of the other leads is connected directly to what appears to be a current measuring shunt marked .005 ohms.

I would like to try to source a replacement for Q19 but the only markings on it are 3N06L05, GHN912 and Q52. Googling 3N06L05 gives only one meaningful result, a data sheet for an Infineon 'OptiMOSŪ-T2 Power-Transistor', N channel. I gather this is a MOSFET... Could anyone suggest an alternative which I can get from Radio Spares or elsewhere in the UK? Is this likely to be the only damaged component? Nothing else appears fried and the display etc was still working normally. When I tried to do a discharge on the PL8 it gave a 'Pack not connected' error.

Regards, Martin Winlow.

Hi,

While you have the heat sink off, check Q24, Q21, Q23, Q22, and Q17. These are all the same part so replace as needed:

IPP80N06S-05

Let me know how you make out, thanks.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Hi Howard, I received you email too and found a MOSFET on Rs that appears to be the closest one to the spec of the IPP80N06S-05 involved... (spec sheet here http://datasheetz.com/data/Discrete%...atasheetz.html ) ... http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mosfet/4862363/ .. tho its Vds is a bit lower - 30V Vs 55V. Can you (or anyone else with more time on their hands) please advise me if this is a suitable match and if not an alternative from RS or Farnell or anyone else in the EU?

Regards, Martin Winlow.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:27 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Hi Howard, I received you email too and found a MOSFET on Rs that appears to be the closest one to the spec of the IPP80N06S-05 involved... (spec sheet here http://datasheetz.com/data/Discrete%...atasheetz.html ) ... http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mosfet/4862363/ .. tho its Vds is a bit lower - 30V Vs 55V. Can you (or anyone else with more time on their hands) please advise me if this is a suitable match and if not an alternative from RS or Farnell or anyone else in the EU?

Regards, Martin Winlow.
Hi Sir:

That FET's a no go. 55V is min you can go on that part. You can go higher on voltage, but not lower. Also, mohm resistance is critical. You can go lower, but not higher. If you locate something you can use, you also have to be extremely careful if you attempt to affect repairs yourself. It's critical to use good quality silicon thermal paste in correct qty. It's also important to form the leads properly and solder them down to the PCB same as the part(s) you pull off. It's not a repair we'd recommend except to the most qualified customer.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your help. Picking alternative components is a bit of a nightmare for those of us to whom the old adage 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' thoroughly applies! Why don't all the data sheets provide the same key values with the same names!

Anyway, RS are out then but Farnell has... http://uk.farnell.com/fairchild-semi...220/dp/1495237 - will this suffice?

I note your comments about seating the To220's and assume this is all about ensuring a really good heat transfer between FET case and heat sink?

For the time and small parts cost compared to a new PL8, I'm prepared to give it a go!

Regards, Martin
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:14 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your help. Picking alternative components is a bit of a nightmare for those of us to whom the old adage 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' thoroughly applies! Why don't all the data sheets provide the same key values with the same names!

Anyway, RS are out then but Farnell has... http://uk.farnell.com/fairchild-semi...220/dp/1495237 - will this suffice?

I note your comments about seating the To220's and assume this is all about ensuring a really good heat transfer between FET case and heat sink?

For the time and small parts cost compared to a new PL8, I'm prepared to give it a go!

Regards, Martin
Hi:

Sorry, the link you supplied does not result in a data sheet.

Tim Marks
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Hi Tim,

Sorry the basic data is...

MOSFET, N, TO-220
Transistor Polarity: N Channel
Continuous Drain Current Id: 80A
Drain Source Voltage Vds: 60V
On Resistance Rds(on): 4.6mohm
Rds(on) Test Voltage Vgs: 20V
Threshold Voltage Vgs Typ: 2.5V
Power Dissipation Pd: 242mW
Operating Temperature Range: -55°C to +175°C
Transistor Case Style: TO-220
No. of Pins: 3
SVHC: No SVHC (19-Dec-2011)
Current Id Max: 80A
Package / Case: TO-220
Pulse Current Idm: 320A
Termination Type: Through Hole
Voltage Vds Typ: 60V
Voltage Vgs Max: 2.5V
Voltage Vgs Rds on Measurement: 10V

... and the link for the datasheet is... http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FD/FDP5800.pdf

Regards, Martin.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
While you have the heat sink off, check Q24, Q21, Q23, Q22, and Q17.
Will checking source to drain for a short suffice or is there more I can do without removing the Q from the board?

Regards, Martin.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Hi again. I have checked the Q's as suggested by Howard and find that Q24 & 17 are both shorted between S & D. All others are open circuit. Could someone please check my method is correct as in the below photo...?

Regards, Martin.
Last edited by martinwinlow; Mar 31, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tim,

Sorry the basic data is...

MOSFET, N, TO-220
Transistor Polarity: N Channel
Continuous Drain Current Id: 80A
Drain Source Voltage Vds: 60V
On Resistance Rds(on): 4.6mohm
Rds(on) Test Voltage Vgs: 20V
Threshold Voltage Vgs Typ: 2.5V
Operating Temperature Range: -55°C to +175°C
Transistor Case Style: TO-220
No. of Pins: 3
SVHC: No SVHC (19-Dec-2011)
Current Id Max: 80A
Package / Case: TO-220
Pulse Current Idm: 320A
Termination Type: Through Hole
Voltage Vds Typ: 60V
Voltage Vgs Max: 2.5V
Voltage Vgs Rds on Measurement: 10V

... and the link for the datasheet is... http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FD/FDP5800.pdf

Regards, Martin.
Hi:

This is really difficult for me to condone a particular FET as a substitute. We spend 1000's of hours running long-term tests with specific devices. We can't say by looking at data sheet or partial data sheet if a device will substitute.

Maybe the above will work, maybe it won't.

I will tell you with great confidence that if you can find an Infineon FET in the IPP80 or IPP90 series, 55V or 60V min, with 5 mohm RDS or lower, that is your best bet. The Infineon parts are hard to come by and it's for good reason. They are a great part at a great value. Other parts might work, but only way I can come close to guarantee it will be if you follow my instructions here. But you may have trouble finding this as we wait 23 weeks sometimes for factory leadtime.

Tim Marks
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:08 AM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
I installed the 3 new FDP5800s in my blown PL8 last night. On removal of the other 2 MOSFETs I thought were blown, only the one next to Q19 was (can't remember which that was) or at least that Q - once out of circuit - was not shorted between S & D but I replaced it anyway.

I tried the repaired PL8 with some low current (<500mA) charges and discharges from a bench PSU into some NiMH AA cells before putting the heat sink back on. Seems to work fine but haven't tried the serial o/p yet.

I was careful to try to match the exact lead length and consequently get all the TO-220 MOSFETs to seat properly on the heat sink - using some new heat transfer paste, clamped as they are between heat sink and the pcb. They all look as though they are nice and flat so should be good as new.

I'll try the PL8 on one of my 160Ah LiFePO4 cells today on a 20A full cycle with regen and post the result. MW
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:59 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
I installed the 3 new FDP5800s in my blown PL8 last night. On removal of the other 2 MOSFETs I thought were blown, only the one next to Q19 was (can't remember which that was) or at least that Q - once out of circuit - was not shorted between S & D but I replaced it anyway.

I tried the repaired PL8 with some low current (<500mA) charges and discharges from a bench PSU into some NiMH AA cells before putting the heat sink back on. Seems to work fine but haven't tried the serial o/p yet.

I was careful to try to match the exact lead length and consequently get all the TO-220 MOSFETs to seat properly on the heat sink - using some new heat transfer paste, clamped as they are between heat sink and the pcb. They all look as though they are nice and flat so should be good as new.

I'll try the PL8 on one of my 160Ah LiFePO4 cells today on a 20A full cycle with regen and post the result. MW
Hi:

Best of luck to you! Whenever there is any doubt, it's always best to replace a suspect component. You did the right thing.

Tim Marks
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Just an update - the repaired PL8 appears normal with serial i/o working fine and 20A charges and regen discharges also normal.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:38 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Just an update - the repaired PL8 appears normal with serial i/o working fine and 20A charges and regen discharges also normal.
Hi:

Hey that's great! Congratulations to you!

Tim Marks
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:01 AM
Collierville, TN
Joined Aug 2003
391 Posts
Sounds like you should hire the guy . . .
klhoard is offline Find More Posts by klhoard