HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:07 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
There is not much flex if built with the cam box and skids like sugested.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:08 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister View Post
Im new to all of this so my advice should not be the only advice you use.

From what Ive learned, component separation it KEY on fpv plane setups, for those using mikrocopters, they really have no choice, but for those of us with a ZII, space is almost unlimited we are only limited by our cable lengths. To me, you electronics bay looks extremely crowded and i would worry about interference. Here is a list that i found helpful when i was placing my components:

Unfortunately adobe was being a so i couldn't copy it. . . . the list is on page 38 of this document http://www.dragonlabs.net/_media/sit...anual_rev3.pdf

I personally hate extra packs because in doing so you double the amount of possible failure points, but if you have to use one, i would put it in a spot that doesn't throw off the CG (and near to what it is being used for), always keep in mind the CG when placing components. . . .trim will only do so much. . . .
Hi Techmeister, thanks for the info & the link, very helpful!

Yeah everything is still pretty messy at the minute as its all just laid on top, nothings fixed in yet. It's just a rough positioning, I'll hopefully be able tidy stuff up as I go along.

I'm trying to separate components but getting a good layout is proving a bit tricky, I was wondering if people prefer to put their RX's on the wings or if they have their RX central with just the satellite out on the wing?

I'm also thinking that if I mount the RX out on the wing I'll have to embed loads of servo extensions into it - but it seems that this goes against keeping wires short etc. What's everyones view on this?

Plus my GPS cable will only reach so far & any further inboard brings it closer to the VTX.
flyn is offline Find More Posts by flyn
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:55 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
hey flyin.

i don't want to get all tied up in theories and guesses but usually i just copy TBS with their layouts.

VTX on the left, gps in the middle, RX on the right. if you are using the CORE keep that over near the VTX too as it can interfere with the RX.
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:28 AM
Team Higher Than The Clouds
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn View Post
Hi Techmeister, thanks for the info & the link, very helpful!

Yeah everything is still pretty messy at the minute as its all just laid on top, nothings fixed in yet. It's just a rough positioning, I'll hopefully be able tidy stuff up as I go along.

I'm trying to separate components but getting a good layout is proving a bit tricky, I was wondering if people prefer to put their RX's on the wings or if they have their RX central with just the satellite out on the wing?

I'm also thinking that if I mount the RX out on the wing I'll have to embed loads of servo extensions into it - but it seems that this goes against keeping wires short etc. What's everyones view on this?

Plus my GPS cable will only reach so far & any further inboard brings it closer to the VTX.
For the RX, i definitely see your dilemma, i don't have that problem because i am using PPM out, so just one cable. I would, however, try your best to place your VTx and Rx and opposite wings, and your GPS as far as it can go on the side with the Rx. For all the servo cables, you might find that all you will need is two servo extensions, one for ESC and one for the servo on the other side of of your Rx. EDIT: I just remembered you are using a flight stabilizer. . . . .i would till keep your Rx on a wing, maybe about halfway. Brosius, is a great person to get advice from and his advice to stay roughly with what TBS does is a good idea.

I have my Vtx on the right wingtip with custom wires to my components, my DL on my left wingtip with one PPM cable (store bought), my GPS sits as far as the cable will allow on the left. My ESC and DOSD are both in the electronics bay.
Techmeister is offline Find More Posts by Techmeister
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:17 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
hey flyin.

i don't want to get all tied up in theories and guesses but usually i just copy TBS with their layouts.

VTX on the left, gps in the middle, RX on the right. if you are using the CORE keep that over near the VTX too as it can interfere with the RX.
Good tip, go with a tried & tested config! I just have a 3s pack that plugs into my vtx, it works perfectly well without a regulator but would it benefit by using one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister View Post
For the RX, i definitely see your dilemma, i don't have that problem because i am using PPM out, so just one cable. I would, however, try your best to place your VTx and Rx and opposite wings, and your GPS as far as it can go on the side with the Rx. For all the servo cables, you might find that all you will need is two servo extensions, one for ESC and one for the servo on the other side of of your Rx. EDIT: I just remembered you are using a flight stabilizer. . . . .i would till keep your Rx on a wing, maybe about halfway. Brosius, is a great person to get advice from and his advice to stay roughly with what TBS does is a good idea.

I have my Vtx on the right wingtip with custom wires to my components, my DL on my left wingtip with one PPM cable (store bought), my GPS sits as far as the cable will allow on the left. My ESC and DOSD are both in the electronics bay.
Nice one guys, I think I might do something like that, I'll set my main rx into the wing halfway out with the satellite rx on the winglet. Gonna end up with about 5-6 servo wires being cut into the wing thou, will have to cut a channel under the servo.
flyn is offline Find More Posts by flyn
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:43 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
i used to use a seperate battery for the video gear, but it is annoying keeping track of what is left in the battery, and having to plug in an extra battery all the time etc....

single batt systems are just easier to manage. but you need filters and regulators when using 4s so it can get a bit more complicated / expensive when setting it all up.

i just run the signal wire to the rx from the servo, i run the red and black straight to the BEC. the esc needs all 3 wires to function though.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:21 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
for anyone needing a bit of help here is my wiring diagram and a general layout idea for components
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
for anyone needing a bit of help here is my wiring diagram and a general layout idea for components
That is really easy to understand. Great job Brosius.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Jun 22, 2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
79 Posts
Just thought I'm gonna share my story. I started RC planes / fpv 8 months ago.
I then had a skywalker for 5 months, but my goal was always to fly Zephyr 2.
I ordered the Zephyr 2 in January and it took me 2 months to get all the parts and so on...

Then I cut the nose to fit the cambox before I marked the cg. The Zephyr was tail heavy and unflyable. And I thought I'm just not ready yet for a Z2.
I had a Fy31 AP fitted to make starts easier and it kind of worked...
but I never flew confident at all, it was a permanent max out of the heart valves...

But now the Zephyr is tuned in and flies beautiful...
So for everybody like me, without much experience, do your homework cg and throws... and you are alright. It's not too hard if you get that right

Thanks for every Z2 pilot who shares their experience here

FPV ROO keep moving Zephyr 2 flying low Mandurah ritewing (2 min 58 sec)
speedstep is offline Find More Posts by speedstep
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:38 AM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,659 Posts
cool video nearly finished my zep 2 build, cant wait to get it in the air! Build Log Here
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.
Last edited by MrBen.; Jun 23, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:47 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Hmm... I have already carved out the foam each side of the battery bay to hide my RX and EX OZD etc.

So If I mount a Battery Box in permanently I will not be able to get to my electronics.

Hmmm

I guess I could cut through from the top.

Decisions Decisions...
You dont need a battery box. Once the cam box is glued in and the SKIDS installed she'll loose alot of the flex. Seeing as you have cut outs in the sides of the battery bay for gear you can still glue in a floor to the bay just for good measure
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:59 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedstep View Post
Just thought I'm gonna share my story. I started RC planes / fpv 8 months ago.
I then had a skywalker for 5 months, but my goal was always to fly Zephyr 2.
I ordered the Zephyr 2 in January and it took me 2 months to get all the parts and so on...

Then I cut the nose to fit the cambox before I marked the cg. The Zephyr was tail heavy and unflyable. And I thought I'm just not ready yet for a Z2.
I had a Fy31 AP fitted to make starts easier and it kind of worked...
but I never flew confident at all, it was a permanent max out of the heart valves...

But now the Zephyr is tuned in and flies beautiful...
So for everybody like me, without much experience, do your homework cg and throws... and you are alright. It's not too hard if you get that right

Thanks for every Z2 pilot who shares their experience here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnzXo6lElC8
Great to hear you didnt just give up. And were wise enough to wait till you were ready. Nothing like a well tuned Zeph. Just as a reminder to all, CG is measured from back of the Z2 so that it doesnt matter what mods you make to the nose during your builds.
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions on adding weight to the rear of the plane?

I've got a 2100g auw ZII, built by ron (pretty pink!). GoPro, encasing + fpv camera in the front. 2x 3000mah 3s batteries as far back as they can go without cutting into the rear compartment. RVOSD and GPS tracker in the rear compartment, behind CG. TSLRS and vtx on the wing near the elevons, I think both roughly on cg.

The plane is flyable like this, but still quite nose heavy. I'd like to use 2x 3000ish 4s, or 2x 5000 3s, but I can't add even a few grams in front of the cog.

I figure I can cut clear through into the rear compartment (then reinforce with wood), but that means moving the rvosd - and the wiring issues that come with that. I just can't think of anything else to do to move the weight back.
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:37 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorns View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on adding weight to the rear of the plane?

I've got a 2100g auw ZII, built by ron (pretty pink!). GoPro, encasing + fpv camera in the front. 2x 3000mah 3s batteries as far back as they can go without cutting into the rear compartment. RVOSD and GPS tracker in the rear compartment, behind CG. TSLRS and vtx on the wing near the elevons, I think both roughly on cg.

The plane is flyable like this, but still quite nose heavy. I'd like to use 2x 3000ish 4s, or 2x 5000 3s, but I can't add even a few grams in front of the cog.

I figure I can cut clear through into the rear compartment (then reinforce with wood), but that means moving the rvosd - and the wiring issues that come with that. I just can't think of anything else to do to move the weight back.
Is the motor mounted inside or outside the mount? Having it on the outside of the mount with the ESC just on the other side should add more weight to counter whats up front.

Mounting it on the outside looks like the picture on MrBen's post # 2695
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Jun 23, 2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: esc placement
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Is the motor mounted inside or outside the mount? Having it on the outside of the mount with the ESC just on the other side should add more weight to counter whats up front.

Mounting it on the outside looks like the picture on MrBen's post # 2695
Interesting! I didn't realize that was what all of this "outside" mounting talk was about. Looks like all I have to do is unscrew it and swap sides too. If it is enough, it will make my CG issues really easy to deal with. Thanks!
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns