SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:03 PM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
This has probably been posted, but PLEASE change out your rear control horns and get rid of that God-forsaken connecting rod clamp thing. My Bix went nose-in yesterday when the horn came off during launch and the nut fell off the connector.
I epoxied a new, stronger horn in and launched her again. This time (today) the little control rod clamp just lost grip (despite my double checking it prior to launch) the rod slid free and she nosed in again at launch speed. (WOT)

Yesterday, the Bixler landed in a tall clump of green grass and had no damage.
Today, it hit the dirt and sustained MAJOR damage. The entire tail broke off.... front clip wrinkled and busted up. And the elevator servo is cooked.

Josh and Josh Bixler oughta warn people about these flimsy control pieces and recommend changing them out before Flight #1!
Still, nobody's fault but mine for trusting those tiny, cheapo clamps. Shame on me. DUH.

Mac
anyone building a Bixler, sky surfer, easy star.... ect. should read this thread first... and go thru all the mods.... >>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=sky+surfer

as for the push rod retainers a little blue loctite will keep them from coming loose...
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:32 PM
Italia, Umbria, Perugia
Joined Dec 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Well if you fly a 3 channel model with rudder and elevator then you should fly with the right stick (mode 2). So just the throttle on the left.
Saying this, I have seen people fly with elevator on the right stick and rudder on the left.
If you then fly a 4 channel model you would be used to the main controls on the right stick so it becomes easy to use the right stick with aileron and elevator.
So now you would have the rudder on the left stick.
When I fly a 4 channel model I always mix a bit of rudder in with the ailerons. You get a better turn with this mix.
All correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Congratulations. That was an excellent video and some nice flying. Glad you mastered the hand catch.

Bill
Thanks my friends, I'm glad you enjoyed this video. I did it happily together with friends in the air-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
I also enjoyed your video very much. It's one of the best videos I've seen showing how nice the Bixler can fly.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to RCG.
Thank you for your welcome!
A friend of mine, just watched the video has said, 'You could call it "How to fly with only 100 euros and have fun time." > I've found some good advice .. in this time of global crisis ... I wish you all good flights and delicious landings
icarustheflier1 is offline Find More Posts by icarustheflier1
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:29 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Thanks all for the comments on Tx modes, it reassured me that i made the right choice for myself with mode 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntfreaks View Post
anyone building a Bixler, sky surfer, easy star.... ect. should read this thread first... and go thru all the mods.... >>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=sky+surfer

as for the push rod retainers a little blue loctite will keep them from coming loose...
Sorry to hear of your equipment failure maldroit FL. That sucks.

I searched that thread high and low and there is little (if any) mention of problems with the stock clevis and pushrod set ups and or a method to upgrade them. I do know that the stock pushrod set up is prone to failure so i'll be retro fitting some decent clevis' coupled with the 16 x 20 horns from HK. Hopefully this will help keep me off the dirt.

Also, can anyone help me with the ID of the CF spar in mm? Thanks
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Dec 06, 2011, 06:35 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Anyone else running the Power-Up 400 Zoom from Heads Up RC?

It's only $17 with $2 shipping in the CONUS. A great deal!

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...00-Zoom/Detail

My Bixler really screams on this motor (with a 40amp ESC) and a 6X4 APC.

Mac
Quote:
The Power Up 400 Zoom is a 1.8 ounce, 2200KV, 400 class outrunner brushless motor that works well on many small to medium size parkflyers designed for high speed. This motor includes an X mount and Prop Adapter, and 3.5mm connectors are installed!
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Dec 06, 2011, 06:57 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Josh and Josh Bixler oughta warn people about these flimsy control pieces and recommend changing them out before Flight #1!............
Hmmm - unlikely that "Jarsh" is likely to say "Here's the plane that bears my name - it's basically good, but the hardware is so bad that it is likely to destroy the model......"

Quote:
Still, nobody's fault but mine for trusting those tiny, cheapo clamps.....
That's no way to refer to Jarsh n Jarsh......

Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:33 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Anyone else running the Power-Up 400 Zoom from Heads Up RC?

It's only $17 with $2 shipping in the CONUS. A great deal!

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...00-Zoom/Detail

My Bixler really screams on this motor (with a 40amp ESC) and a 6X4 APC.

Mac
32 ounces of thrust is pretty good out of a 51 gram motor.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:15 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
My Bixler and extra goodies arrived today, so the build starts tonight!!!

I noticed the motor mount / motor has been glued in on a slight angle ( to the side) . Is this likely to cause any issues? If so whats the easiest way to remove the mount?

I was originally going to glue the 2 fuselage halves together but am now thinking i may eventually set this up as an FPV platform so wondering if i should use a less permanent method. I notice some people glue only the tail section and then tape the 2 halves together. Is that double sided tape between the 2 halves or packing tape around the perimeter of the fuse?

I'm thinking of mounting the ESC on the outside of the fuselage for extra cooling. but not sure whether to go on top of the fuse above the wings ( in front of the motor housing) or on the side (recessed into the fuse) under one of the wings, is there any reason either of these methods would cause issues? ie. higher COG, uneven weight distribution???
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:55 AM
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearflying View Post
The famous "Bixler" pity nobody in Europe can get it? They talk about their "European" warehouse but itīs never in stock and has an incredible transport cost because it has to be sent from China? Which of course as we all know is NOT in Europe. Strange way of doing business donīt you think?
I thought mine was coming through the German warehouse but no shipped from Singapore and then I had to pay import duty.
But I am struggling with HK customer service regardig the ARF version I bought.I have che hed and checked looking at vids and read the so called instructions and now where does it show the fuselage in two seperate half like mine when it arrived.
Hk are saying it should be like that but I am not waring that one so the saga goes on.
Please tell me is it glued together when shipped or not.
suneagle is offline Find More Posts by suneagle
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:07 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suneagle View Post
I thought mine was coming through the German warehouse but no shipped from Singapore and then I had to pay import duty.
But I am struggling with HK customer service regardig the ARF version I bought.I have che hed and checked looking at vids and read the so called instructions and now where does it show the fuselage in two seperate half like mine when it arrived.
Hk are saying it should be like that but I am not waring that one so the saga goes on.
Please tell me is it glued together when shipped or not.
i got the ARF version (box was incorrectly marked as PNP ) from the china warehouse and the fuselage is not glued.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 06:48 AM
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
In your opinion should it have been glued
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:36 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
I dont really have an opinion on whether it 'should' or 'shouldn't' be glued. It is what it is. I knew the plane required some assembly and gluing the 2 fuse halves together is no big deal. Get some medium CA or hot glue and glue it together. Should take about 2 minutes.

Personally I like the fact it is unglued, as it allowed me to do some work inside the fuselage that would have been a lot harder to do had it been glued.

I have cleaned up the cooling vents around the motor and mount to allow cleaner flow of air to the motor. I have removed the washers. I have fitted some reinforcing to the nose area and fitted some supports to the lower fuselage to hold the ESC and Rx tray. all work that would have been much harder if the fuse was joined.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:40 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
My ARF came glued. But it was not done very well as there were places that I had to reglue.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:53 AM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
I found CA on EPP makes for a brittle joint... and hot glue is heavy and to glue two halves you would have to be super fast.... this is what I found works for me, Welder all purpose adhesive.... you spread it thin on the 2 halves let it set up put them together and your done.... it has a little flex so it wont crack.... it can even be used to make a hinge, the 3D guys have been using it for years... I got mine as Lowes , comes in a 2 pack

tons of info on it here on RCG
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks
Old Dec 08, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
My ARF came glued. But it was not done very well as there were places that I had to reglue.
Thats what I wanted to hear as HK will not believe me that it should have been glued and just wanted to get my facts right.
You are right nogas that its better in two halves and to be quite honest Ime pleased as I can work on it much better.
It was just the princpal of the whole thing that you purchase something and you expect it to be right.
Thanks for returning the posts you guys much appreciated.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:30 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Medium CA works great on Z foam (parkzone), elapor (multiplex) and generic EP0.

Welder glue is good too but it will melt Fan Fold Foam (fff), but I long for when it was sold a Walmart in large tubes with a bonus pack of the small tubes that Lowes sells. Lowes only sells the small tubes for the same price Walmart sold the large tube with bonus tube. I long for the old Walmarts that weren't also trying to be grocery stores.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram