SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2014, 03:49 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
Build Log
Bashing SIG 4 Star 54

I've been agonizing over what airplane to get to polish my aerobatic skills. Short story is,...... I woke up this morning with a brilliant idea. I have two Sig models that I simply love,.. both severely bashed, an TL25, and LT40, see my web page link below. I love bashing kits, especially ARFs. I really wanted something "more exciting" I just about jumped on a Sig Something Extra, but instead, I just bought a Sig 4 Star 54. Here's my grandiose idea...... and other plans for this model.

1. I will raise the wing on the fuselage about 1" (guessing right now) until I see the plans or 3-views. That's the biggy. >> Does it come with plans? I'd be willing to bet it does not.<< It will give the model a MUCH better look. I'm not a real fan of low winged models. My modification will greatly improve the looks of the model, in my opinion. First thing that comes to mind - "You are going to ruin the airflow over the stab.". No.... not that high. I think ~1" will totally change the looks of the model while still allow great flying abilities. I often go by "TLAR". I will maintain the same wing incidence of course. Other mods will be,....
2. Stripping off all coverings and cover it in the colors >I< want.
3. Add turbulators to the wing LE for a better looking and maybe more efficient L.E..
4. Examine and strengthen the stab. structure, maybe just add tail support wires due to failure reports.
5. Replace tail wheel assy,... I don't like the tiller bar arrangement even though I'm sure it works good.
6. I will add a big spinner,.. geez the model pics I've seen just beg for a bigger spinner, we'll see how a bigger one looks.
7. Moving the wing up will allow me to give better support to the landing gear mount structure whether it needs it or not.

Yes, it will be a lot of work. And I'm probably a little crazy, but I love to build, it's a huge part of my hobby. The advantage of an ARF to me is a quick basic build that I can improve upon,.. not to mention going over the model to inspect glue joints and covering it in the colors I like.

That's it,..... so far.

The model is ordered, so I'm on my way. Oh Since Mid Star is already taken,.. I can't really call it a MidStar 4-54,... or can I? Your suggestions for a name I can call it will be appreciated.

Fred Guilfoyle
http://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Aug 02, 2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: changed thread to a build log
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2014, 04:02 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
When we come up with a new name, I'll change the title to reflect it. I kinda like "MidStar 4-54" though. Any other thoughts? .... I mean other than "You are crazy"

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Jul 25, 2014, 05:57 PM
No Glow / No ARFs
Granite Falls, WA
Joined Feb 2005
73 Posts
Fred never can build anything stock, he always has to put his touches on the plane.
rail.bird is offline Find More Posts by rail.bird
Old Jul 25, 2014, 06:15 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
That's what's fun Figuring out how to do the things you want, and without adding too much weight is a challenge. If it still flies good, so much the better. Geez, can't wait for the kit to arrive.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2014, 06:20 PM
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Nov 2013
252 Posts
When I first read your idea of raising the wing I thought it would be ugly, but your image of it actually looks pretty cool.
Yoda466 is offline Find More Posts by Yoda466
Old Jul 25, 2014, 06:39 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
Thanks Yoda. Of course something like this is easy to imagine, but another thing to actually pull it off. But I am confident.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:51 PM
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Nov 2013
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step View Post
Thanks Yoda. Of course something like this is easy to imagine, but another thing to actually pull it off. But I am confident.
I think the 4 Star is a great looking plane, and I don't share your dislike of the look of a low wing. I guess that is why I thought the wing move would not look good. But it actually kind of gives it the look of a full aerobat, like maybe an Extra, which is also a great looking plane. I like your bash; looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Pretty cool that you are making something unique.
Yoda466 is offline Find More Posts by Yoda466
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:38 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,158 Posts
Looks like you at it again, can't seem to hold you back from bashing. How about adding about an inch of height to the top of the rudder, and making part of the addition a "counter balance" to the rudder ? Also, maybe take a bay from each end of the wing, and adding the old "Contender" style wing tips ?? As far as a larger spinner, I would try a parabolic style, like the P-51, and add some roundness to the top of the cowl to match it. Call it the "Up-Foil-54"
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:52 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
Parabolic spinners,... $$. I'll go with an inexpensive Dubro. Although, a nice polished True Turn >would < look Very nice. Note how hung up I am on "how things look." Yes, I have baggage.
Because the wings will "plug into" the sides of the fuselage (as opposed to joining together and meeting at the center line of the fuselage), I will have to lob off part of the wing tip to keep it 54"ws. Going a whole rib bay might leave room for a nice wingtip. I'll give some thought to wing tips,... but not the "upturned" tips of some Contenders I've seen, ....don't like.

Happy to have you and Rail Bird watching. Fun Stuff.

I plan to actually start the bash Sept 7th, but only when the weather isn't good enough to fly. September is a great month for flying in the Pacific NW.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:55 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
Oh, and initial planning suggests I may have the entire top of the fuselage from the aft canopy fwd, as a removable hatch. That's the only way I see to gain easy access to servos, etc.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:40 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,158 Posts
Elmer Wilson always raised the tips on his Contenders, and I thought it looked dumb, just make them flat. How about a different twist to this build / bash.... your readers get to see the first flights of your builds on video, how about the beginning of a bash on video ?? like the birthing of a new baby airplane ?? here is a spinner I had in mind...you pick the size..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm_Yellow.html
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:43 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
Birthing video,... too much trouble, not really needed, already covered what
I plan to do in type.

Whoa????,.... That spinner has holes in it! Definitely a no go.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2014, 02:00 AM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
818 Posts
That spinner would be good for a Sunday Flyer.
Mike Dubovsky is offline Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Old Jul 27, 2014, 02:44 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
I get it,..... Holy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2014, 08:53 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
I received my 4*54, perfect shape, double boxed. They've done a nice job on the model. I almost hate to remove the covering,... but I will. My first real job will be to find some 5/8" dia, aluminum tubing for the new wing joiner. I'll need a piece 3 1/4" longer (fuselage width) than the one provided, because of the plug in wing system I'll be using, ....... Oh what fun this will be! But as long as this beautiful weather remains, I'll hold off starting the "bash" until the rain comes.
RCG Plus Member