HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kokopropelli, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 12:58 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,133 Posts
A young detectorist in the Netherlands sent me some images of a bit he found which turned out to be a Roman Cavalry bit.

Any context with this find or just an equipment failure ?
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:29 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,616 Posts
El Camino Real

Our project is on El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro. The area where the Barbada was found we believe to be the location of a mission. This piece was found near the path of El Camino. Colonial artifacts are rare, but we also found olive jar (amphora) sherds in the vicinity.

These artifacts are on display at the Sevilleta NWR visitor Center.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Mar 05, 2014, 02:13 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,825 Posts
That's cool nice one Tom.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Mar 05, 2014, 02:17 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,133 Posts
Very nice shards indeed !
Old Jun 07, 2014, 03:04 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Clovenfords
Joined Apr 2014
129 Posts
a fascinating thread indeed.
using my hexa for aeriel archaeology was one of the reasons I bought one..

Im lucky to live in an archaeological rich area between Edinburgh, Scotland and the English Border in the UK..

Hadrians Wall is only about 40 miles from me and locally theres some rich pickings of Neolithic sites, Roman camps, Keeps (fortified towers) and various other interestingly related sites which are all on my "to do" list. Vindolanda which was mentioned earlier is worth a visit as is Housesteads nearby though its a bit harder to get to.

im still in the learning curve with the hexa and some access to fields are a bit limited with so many young animals about - I try to keep good relations with landowners and always seek their permission first despite there being no trespassing laws here..

First two on my list are within a couple of miles of me, a roman fort.. not much to see on the ground except a couple of corners with the defence ditches visible - apparently theres some potential roundhouse dwelling sites close too..second is a Peel tower (fortified house) but its surrounded with trees and Im currently only flying line of sight as ive not yet fitted my FPV kit due to gimbal problems..

Hoping to post some stuff soon though

Alan
budgiemurray is online now Find More Posts by budgiemurray
Old Jun 09, 2014, 11:00 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgiemurray View Post
a fascinating thread indeed.
using my hexa for aeriel archaeology was one of the reasons I bought one..

Im lucky to live in an archaeological rich area between Edinburgh, Scotland and the English Border in the UK..

Hadrians Wall is only about 40 miles from me and locally theres some rich pickings of Neolithic sites, Roman camps, Keeps (fortified towers) and various other interestingly related sites which are all on my "to do" list. Vindolanda which was mentioned earlier is worth a visit as is Housesteads nearby though its a bit harder to get to.

im still in the learning curve with the hexa and some access to fields are a bit limited with so many young animals about - I try to keep good relations with landowners and always seek their permission first despite there being no trespassing laws here..

First two on my list are within a couple of miles of me, a roman fort.. not much to see on the ground except a couple of corners with the defence ditches visible - apparently theres some potential roundhouse dwelling sites close too..second is a Peel tower (fortified house) but its surrounded with trees and Im currently only flying line of sight as ive not yet fitted my FPV kit due to gimbal problems..

Hoping to post some stuff soon though

Alan

Wow. Very, very interesting area to live. Archaeological rich is an understatement. I'm looking forward to seeing seeing video/photos of your flights!
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Jul 15, 2014, 02:27 PM
Joined Jun 2005
20 Posts
You don't need multirotors or aircrafts for archaeological research and work from above. Kites also works quite well
Photographic and photogrammetric archaeological documentation in Ptolemais Libya (5 min 47 sec)
Mironb is offline Find More Posts by Mironb
Last edited by Mironb; Jul 15, 2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 03:56 PM
Joined Apr 2014
129 Posts
I would never have thought of using a kite, what an excellent idea..
I've been having problems with my hexa art the moment and haven't been able to use it.

I did have a thought though, I have a small Hubsan x4 quad with the 3Mp camera on it.. I was thinking this may be ok for testing some shots on the sides of buildings - church spires etc.. opbviously it isn't FPV but some flying around may give me ideas for angles of shot etc..

I did visit a local Broch site recently but the grass is pretty tall currently, im going to wait till its dies back a bit so you will get a better view of the remaining structure and associated ditches.. for tyhose that are interested heres the google maps version, I aim to be get a lot closer and more interactive.. I want to investigate the square enclosure in the field south of it too

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.63.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old Jul 15, 2014, 07:27 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,133 Posts
Awesome video !

Interesting features around the Broch also Budgie !

KM
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:05 AM
Joined Apr 2014
129 Posts
Indeed kusunokimasahige (sounds Japanese that. )
A bit of a walk to get to from the road so I need to find a decent way of carrying my gear I think..
Old Jul 16, 2014, 02:28 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,133 Posts
It IS Japanese. A famous samurai he was.

I transport my gear (planes) in a backpak and on bicycle

I tried looking for Roman camps around the Broch but no traces.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:53 PM
Joined Apr 2014
129 Posts
Ah, not familiar with that particular samurai.. I picked up a bigger backpack today so that should help.
Ok, my nearest Roman site is the remains of a fort, two of the corners are visible on the ridge, im not sure how far it originally extended south as its been ploughed out, im hoping better lower shots may help size it
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...499a4586130f67 use the street view shots and the defence ditches are fairly visible.
There are apparently roundhouse sites to the south east of the farm (brown field) according to a local archaeologist too. Theres plenty sites reasonably close by for future investigation
Old Sep 04, 2014, 09:58 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
Thought I would share this with you guys, a few weeks ago we (the Commercial RPAS company I own) were out in the English Lake District taking aerial shots of the scenery when an image popped up in one of the shots......see image 1 which is zoomed in on that area.....and we were rather suprised, if you look at image 2 you will see why....you simply can not see the structure from the ground.

After a little research, I discovered that this is a Roman Fort, AD 60-90.....so over 2,000 years old. The hillside is called Caermot (to give it it's ancient name) and on the hillside is also the remains of a Beacon which would have been in view of another Beacon on the very picturesque Skiddaw in the back-ground. This is an area rich in history as it is not that far from Hadrians Wall.....so, what I noticed was that our images differed quite significantly from published images and the accepted layout......see the 1902 hand drawn map of the fort.

So, we decided to go back and map the fort for local archeologists......if the image colours look a little off.....it's deliberate. The images and when finished, 3D model will be handed over shortly but it's already fairly clear that they add something to existing thinking on the fort.

This is a great example of the power of low level aerial shots, our next task is a WW2 airfield.....and we are thrilled to be part of the project.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Sep 04, 2014, 01:29 PM
Sailaire brethren
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Aug 2013
206 Posts
that is cool
RV Winkle is offline Find More Posts by RV Winkle
Old Sep 05, 2014, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2014
129 Posts
excellent shots Scott, what sort of scale is that.. as in yards/meters across?