SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:37 PM
Let it Be
USA, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Jul 2004
311 Posts
Question
MRC Foamies-Anyone Have Any Experieince?

Hi All,

I just picked up an "MRC" (Model Rectifiers Corp) Ryan STA in an estate sale. It's a free flight kit made of foam. It has -- of all things -- a gear drive for the rubber motor. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

I've seen a couple MRC clipped wing Cubs on eBay, but haven't been able to find out anything about these kits in general. Can anyone help me out?

I'm attaching a couple pictures.
dhable is offline Find More Posts by dhable
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:55 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Aug 2004
119 Posts
I flew one of the MRC Cessna models back in the 80's. I recall that it flew quite well. As a matter of fact, I think it's still hanging about the shop somewhere.
TheRocksKid is offline Find More Posts by TheRocksKid
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:12 PM
United States, FL, Perry
Joined Mar 2011
444 Posts
I had the Ryan and looking for another one. My experience was it flies well but mine was worlds better when I ditched the gearbox and went direct drive.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:40 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the purpose of the gear drive is to allow you to use lots of rubber without overpowering the plane. (Or to use a smaller prop.) Is it so bad that it doesn't help?
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:03 PM
United States, FL, Perry
Joined Mar 2011
444 Posts
Mine would hardly climb with the GB and if I packed in enough rubber it would have been too heavy.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:04 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,629 Posts
Would that Ryan STA be for sale?

I flew those MRC planes back in the day. Yes, they flew. But way too heavy to be satisfying, as free flight models.

But with modern electronics, they would be great for micro RC use.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead