SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2014, 05:36 PM
Fly.Bar.Less ...
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Cairo
Joined May 2013
376 Posts
Well, that's good.

The e-1003 swash-plate is definitely better than the stock 9116 swash.
The 9116 swash doesn't have the fish-eye bearing, which makes the helicopter a little sloppy. I used the upper half of the DH9100 swash (with the fish-eye) with the lower part of 9116 swash. That combination made a big difference in performance.

I am going to rebuild my Franken 9116 heli from all the parts I have.
Mostafa Omar is offline Find More Posts by Mostafa Omar
Last edited by Mostafa Omar; May 10, 2014 at 01:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2014, 01:45 PM
Joined Sep 2013
8 Posts
won't takeoff now

Hello Gentlemen,
I could not find a similar question/answer, so I ask: I have flown my dh9116 now and then. The motors and ESC board are replaced after occasional usage. Now, it runs but not enough power to takeoff beyond ground-effect. The battery is new and fully charged. Any advice from anyone? Thanks.
ron_r is offline Find More Posts by ron_r
Old Jun 17, 2014, 03:07 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,204 Posts
If motors are new and esc good then it has to be batteries . Charger could be a problem. Old battery will show full charge until its under load. Battery for this heli are very cheap. Stock batteries are very low quality and do not hold up at all. Double Horse makes the lowest quality heli on the market. Anything they make will fail.
V912 is much better, and the V912 brushless better yet. Any money put into a 9116 is throwing away your $$. You may disagree and thats fine. When you get a good heli then you know what i mean. Get a Blade 200 SR-X and have a real heli, not some junk toy.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jun 17, 2014, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,479 Posts
I agree with dankar04. It's probably the battery, especially if you're using the stock charger, which even if it does work, will kill your batteries in no time.

It could also be your main motor. Although you said that it's new it could be defective which would not be unusual.

DH's quality control is non-existent and you can expect to constantly be replacing the brushed motors and probably the pcb also as they love to fry the main motor mosfet.

I do have two 9116 Frankenhelis, but almost all the parts on them have been modded extensively or replaced with parts from other brands. A lot of time and money went into them to make them what they are and as dankar 04 said, there are much better choices available.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:04 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,830 Posts
For the time and money spent on my 9116's, I could have had a 450,
and had the time to polish every aluminum part to a mirror finish.

I keep them around because they bring good memories, even if I did throw
my money away.

With some of the mods from this thread, mine fly pretty good now.

The main upgrades were the E-1003 head and a better tail motor.

I will never forget the first time I hovered my 9116.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Jun 17, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:49 AM
Joined Sep 2013
8 Posts
Thanks for the fast replies, guys. It all sounds like good advice -- especially since I agree with it. I'll check into replacing the motor and/or battery again, as I still have a new one around. I have decided to stop throwing good money after bad. It was a challange to keep this 9116 in flyable condition, and it never flew anywhere as nice as my V912. And I'll stop using the charger, based on your advice, Pa flyer.

I found it as much fun to keep the darn thing flyable as it was to actually fly it - except for the cost. (I did the E-1003 mod and that made it much better.) I'll tinker with it now and then, but I think its glory days are over.
ron_r is offline Find More Posts by ron_r
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:46 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
896 Posts
Florida Heli is offline Find More Posts by Florida Heli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Florida Heli; Jun 18, 2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 01:07 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,204 Posts
Bottomline is 9116 does fly. TX is very sloppy. With finese it works/ heli needs a lot of throddle to get airbourne. Any turns power needs to increase. i bought one a long time ago as X-heli had them for $50.00 . first motor lasted 10 flights/ second still runs fine and has aboout 50 flights on it. I almost never fly it as its so crude/ but does fly. If you stay on the power it will do what it was made for...to buy parts. Parts are very cheap, but good advice buy V912 BL/ forget brushed helis...they suck big time. Smaller 100 size they are ok.
I have no idea how much 9116 cost today, but at any price its a waste of money.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Hi guys new member here, I've been flying a 9053 and decided to upgrade to a 9116.
It's arrived today and I'm not convinced it's not faulty, I've charged it and just tried it indoors striaght out of the box. The motor cuts out but I've read that this will rectify with use. The nose led doesn't work. With a flick of the throttle I can get it to spool up and it just drifts left and forward and I can't correct it. It won't move to the right or backwards at all.

Do you think I have a faulty unit?
I dud expect it to fly to a certain degree striaght out the box.

Thanks in advance.
Y8cel is offline Find More Posts by Y8cel
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,324 Posts
If you really want to keep this outdated and obsolete bird you should dial it in first accordingly to the tech-manuals linked in post #1.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...4&d=1357227670

I'd rather recommend returning it an get you money back.
There are much better/cheaper/newer options on the market now.

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Thanks I've been through all that and I found that the servos were the wrong way round on the pcb. I've fixed that and hovered it in the lounge twice and now the led on the pcb won't illuminate so I think I'll take your advise and return it.

What is your recommendation for an alternative. I was looking at the walkera master cp but didn't think that was suitable for a first none co axal.
Y8cel is offline Find More Posts by Y8cel
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,204 Posts
9116 should fly ok out of the box. Check TX that all ch's are in normal position. display will show this. TX has alot of play but works. Mine I give throddle kinda heavy but once up lower setting and fly decent. It is basic 4 ch f/p and once you get use to it does the job. There are better versions like V912 BL.

You could have mine for $25.00/ plus postage. It flys/ extra new tail assembly/ extra set of blades. I made some holes on bottom of plastic to lessen weight without hurting strength/ plus trimed canopy neatly. Extra vent to cool motor.
I flew it the other day and is flew fine.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM
United States, MI, Kingsley
Joined Jan 2013
73 Posts
I agree with mikefromgermany try to get your money back, it was lots of fun following this thread to make the" POS" 9116 fly but I bought a cheap v911 that will fly out of the box . It might not fly outside very well but was more fun than tweaking and fixing the 9116 over and over. I could not even pay my kids to search for my 9116 that crashed in the pines next to my house. I offered them $15 and they turned it down, I haven't missed it yet
Mattkingsley is offline Find More Posts by Mattkingsley