SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Discussion
How to prevent servos on the new PZ UM F4U Corsair from getting wet?

I fly in the mornings mainly as that is when the winds are calmest however the grass has dew on it, and as the grass isn't that short, the landing gear doesn't help in keeping the wings from touching the grass. The new PZ UM F4U Corsairs have the servos under the wing with the motor and gears exposed, so it doesn't seem waterproof at all. How can I prevent them from getting wet? Is there any sort of way I could cover it without adding too much weight and/or imbalancing the plane? Thanks in advance!
sparkyz is offline Find More Posts by sparkyz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
48 Posts
I don't have this plane, but others like the stryker and carbon cub have servo covers

something like this http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/a-PKZU2253
Joelster is offline Find More Posts by Joelster
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Thanks, if only I'd searched a bit before posting this. But thanks a lot!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Are there any other servo covers that would be good for this plane as it seems to be out of stock at all the UK stores online? Or is there any way that I could make my own servo covers? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:40 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
You can buy some nail sanding file block (see picture) from dollar stores (very cheap), or pretty much anywhere (ask your wife/girlfriend).

You can then often use the file on your model as needed, but what's interesting is the fact they usually come in a nice plastic/cardboard package. You can use the hard plastic wrapping (both ends) to make two servo covers. Simply cut to size and glue in place.

You can also use the VERY CHEAP plastic spoon. Don't huge high quality plastic spoon as they are very thick, and weight too much. But if you're lucky enough to find the very cheap ones (you can literally see through them and they bend very easily), then, you can use the spoon part as a servo cover.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; Aug 15, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Thanks, great idea! I was just wondering though, would using homemade servo covers, or in fact any servo cover, alter the flight characteristics at all?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
I was thinking, would it be possible to cover the servo with some sort of film, or plastic wrapping to keep it waterproof or is that a stupid idea?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:45 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyz View Post
I was thinking, would it be possible to cover the servo with some sort of film, or plastic wrapping to keep it waterproof or is that a stupid idea?
Since the gear is the largest thing on the servo, nothing "Non Rigid" will work.

Covers are the best bet for dew.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:36 AM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
I see, would it alter the flight characteristics in any way?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:47 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyz View Post
I see, would it alter the flight characteristics in any way?
Most people who use covers do it because they belly land (they remove the wheels). So, the trade is usually great because the wheels are draggy. You won't see a difference, no matter what you use, if that's what you do. Sure enough, if you want to use both the wheels and the covers, then, I would go for the Stryker covers instead of homemade ones. Very light, and great shape so again, you won't notice them, other than the little extra weight you'll be carrying.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
Thanks, I'll be removing the landing gears and using bottle caps as covers! Thanks for all of the replies!