Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:28 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poziovahim View Post
Hey All,
What spray paint is safe to use on the FMS foam?
Dan
You can use just about any paint on this EPO foam. I've used lacquer, enamel and acrylics on occasion. In prepping the foam for paint I've even used acetone to wipe it down.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:17 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
put a coat of poly wax (water based floor wax/woodwax ) and you can use use any paint on the foam .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:33 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
put a coat of poly wax (water based floor wax/woodwax ) and you can use use any paint on the foam .
The paint will stick to the wax?
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar View Post
The paint will stick to the wax?
its not wax persay ,

Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane is a clear, hard finish that dries fast to protect and beautify interior wood surfaces such as furniture, cabinets, moldings, and doors. Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane Finish is among the most durable coatings for wood protection. Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane's long-lasting protective finish makes it ideal for use on both finished and unfinished wood.

its water based . so it has no ill effect on anytype of foam .

this is my twin jet painted using miniwax first then painted , then mini wax apllied again to get an extra shine . i use miniwax on all most my planes example like my warbird has stickers that peel off just by the littlest scratch. i use the miniwax over the plane to protect the stickers .
you apply it with a sponge its dries hard within an hour ,

[IMG][/IMG]
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Last edited by THESANDMAN; Nov 20, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
547 Posts
We won't be getting as much "up" on the ailerons or the elevator because the holes in the control horns are not over their hinge lines where they should be!
I'm leaving mine as is tho simply because I don't want to dick around with changing all the linkage rods AND because Orion is having a ball with his as is
Happy Thanksgiving y'all,
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:53 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
How much extra weight it added to your twin jet with the 2 coats of poly wax?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Nov 2011
547 Posts
esc

Hi All,
I'm using an e flite 80amp esc and every time I change the 6s 5000mah battery, the receiver light starts blinking and I must bind again! I tried two other receivers and get the same results. Any ideas?
Many Thanks,
Dan
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:27 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,
I'm using an e flite 80amp esc and every time I change the 6s 5000mah battery, the receiver light starts blinking and I must bind again! I tried two other receivers and get the same results. Any ideas?
Many Thanks,
Dan
Are you cycling your Transmitter between each lipo change?
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:49 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Cycling the transmitter means turn on and off?
Whats the reason for cycling?
Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Yes cycling means to turn on and off.

The reason is this.
With the transmitter on with the correct model selected, you plug in your lipo to your plane. The esc will sound indicating power and that it is armed. Once done, you will get a solid light on your receiver saying all systems are a go.

Now, if something happens to your power source during flight (ie. brown out) and you manage to make it back, or not. If the lipo is still plugged in you will notice that the receiver is blinking. The blinking indicates power failure to the receiver during the uninterupted cycle phase of the transmitter. This is the first thing I look for in an incident to see if it was me or not. If there is no blinking light, then I know I messed up or to look elsewhere mechanically for my troubles.

So, here we are and we just finished flying and we want to swap out the lipo and go back up. When you unplug the lipo, you create a power failure within the transmitters cycle. If you don't cycle (turn it off then back on) your transmitter, when you plug it in, the receiver should be blinking indicating a power failure.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Hello Orion,
Love your you tube videos on the fms pitts and have decided to buy one for myself. I was wandering how you like the plane after having it for a while and which battery ends are needed to fit the factory esc? Thanks
Althorpe1 is offline Find More Posts by Althorpe1
Last edited by Althorpe1; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
PM'd ya.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Nov 2011
547 Posts
Quote:
Duh!
It also helps to pull the bind plug when you're done
Many Thanks,
I had her up three times just to see how she handles... flies great but really porpoises on the landings! Gonna have to work on that! Checked her out after and found that the screws that hold the motor mount to the back of the motor came loose so I locktited them and one screw on the back hinge of the landing gear was just gone! Replaced it! Can't wait to get her back up! She's a lot twitchier than my 63" Starmax and I like that
Thanks again,
Dan
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:51 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Duh!
It also helps to pull the bind plug when you're done
Many Thanks,
I had her up three times just to see how she handles... flies great but really porpoises on the landings! Gonna have to work on that! Checked her out after and found that the screws that hold the motor mount to the back of the motor came loose so I locktited them and one screw on the back hinge of the landing gear was just gone! Replaced it! Can't wait to get her back up! She's a lot twitchier than my 63" Starmax and I like that
Thanks again,
Dan
That's weird, mine does not porpoise at all at any point. You may want to adjust your exponential in your elevator and soften up your movements some. Putting in expo and dialing down your throws will help some of the twitchy nature you described. Twitchy is fun when you want it but can be stressful when you don't so if you haven't already done it, you may want to set up some dual rates.

Orion
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
547 Posts
Quote:
That's weird, mine does not porpoise at all at any point. You may want to adjust your exponential in your elevator and soften up your movements some. Putting in expo and dialing down your throws will help some of the twitchy nature you described. Twitchy is fun when you want it but can be stressful when you don't so if you haven't already done it, you may want to set up some dual rates.

Orion
I set up the dual rates to roughly half the throw on all surfaces and dialed in 40 percent expo on the elevator and rudder. First flight was a couple axial rolls and a couple big loops and a few split S's. The landing was nice with only a bounce of a couple inches. Second flight was close to the same as the first.
Third flight............ About 3 minutes into it I was at about 50 to 70ft. high and doing a downwind run and just before I usually turn the motor made a noise like the prop came loose!
I made the left turn and realized I had no power! I banked up wind with the plane about 30 ft. high and stalled it for a brief second! She just hung there like a kite for a couple seconds a tad nose high so I threw in a ton of down elevator and she came in steep but controllable and I landed her with a wing tip hit and slight cartwheel!
When I got to her I realized that the whole motor came off!!!!!
The motor mount was still attached to the firewall and the mount screws are still in their respective holes! They must have backed out even with the locktite. Upon reflection, when I re-did the screws last Sunday I felt that they weren't really long enough to begin with!
Anywho, the plane is fine, the motor is toast along with the prop and spinner!
Can I get another motor and the prop and parts?
Gonna cruise around the web now and see!
Folks, please pull your motors and replace them four screws with some that are at least 1/4" longer
Oh and just for grins, when I brought the plane into the garage (motor-less), I checked the "new" CG! It now balances at 240mm! I cannot believe I was able to recover from that stall Just the reason I use insane throws on the elevator!
Dan